Data Overages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee grandpajim
Rogers Employee

Data Overages

There are many factors that can contribute to data overage on your bill.  Here are some tips on how to prevent data overage with almost any device:  Download the user guide to your computer. No one can decide your settings for you so take the time to review your settings.

• Wi-Fi: Turn off data to prevent the Rogers network having the stronger signal than WIFI. Use Wi-Fi whenever possible to help reduce your data charges. Note: Some apps require the security of the rogers network and will not work through WIFI.
  • Streaming: Media/Video streaming has a huge impact on your data usage. Limit what you are streaming on your device.  Another option is to turn off data and stream using a Wi-Fi connection. 

• Online Gaming: Playing game that requires a constant data connection (e.g. RPG, MMO, etc) can impact your data usage for the month. To determine if a game is using data Step 1 Turn off cell data but leave WIFI on  An error will tell you it is probably using Rogers data and will not work through WIFI. Step 2 Now turn off wifi and cell data. If you get an error the program is using data but will work through WIFI.  Recommended you turn off data and stream using a Wi-Fi connection if possible.

• Downloading Apps & updates: All programs do regular updates (usually while the phone is not in use) & some can be quite large. It is worth while to check settings for updates, some you can change others you cannot but it is worth taking the time to find out. Also if you like to download Apps a lot, then this can contribute to data overage as well. You can try downloading/updating your Apps via Wi-Fi (with data turned off) or through your computer & appropriate desktop program.

• Apps that use data; There are many Apps that use data to update their programming, or update current information. Be careful to read the stipulations of the any Apps you download. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others frequently update posts while the amounts may be small they can add up especially posts that include pictures or other media files. Read and change notification settings (time consuming but worth it)  for the above programs to reduce the amount of posts or funny pictures sent to your phone via these programs. They use data even if you don't view them. No one can decide your settings for you so take the time to review your notification settings.

• Programs running in the background: Most devices allow you to turn off the applications running in the background.  You can shut these applications down in settings usually found in "Running programs".

• Turn off GPS: GPS is a very useful tool to have on your Smartphone. GPS uses a huge amount of battery life . It is always advisable to turn this off when not in use. GPS also uses up a huge amount of data if use wireless networks is enabled and when downloading maps for a new location or during an update. Option 1 turn GPS off. Option 2  Turn off use wireless networks (WIFI & cell towers)
  • Tethering (Personal Hotspot): This feature allows you to share your Android cellular data connection with other devices. (e.g. Computer, Tablets, etc.) Limiting your use of tethering can help to prevent data overage.

I've Been Here Awhile

Data Overages

Sorry im just geyying back to you guys now, my old phone was a sony ericsson text pro with ChatR. I dont have internet at home so my phone is my only source of online. Im just afraid of a phone bill that exceeds the amount I can afford. As of now, I have apparently used 1093mb of data. -facepalm-

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Data Overages

Without knowing what phone.. some of the older phones, used a different form of data, that most newer phones.

Alot of them, often would have 'unlimited social networking' etc.. and really didnt use data..

Vs most all phones now, just use raw data, no matter what.. and will eat it up alot more.

If you have no other source of internet.. you may then want to look at upping your data plan, as long as it fits within your budget.. likely still cheaper than paying overages.

I've Been Around

Re: Data Overages

I have asked Rogers specifically about this as I have gone over my data plan several times and have gotten two different responses.  The last person seemed the most knowledgable so I am going with their response. Data overages are not pro-rated.  If your overage rate is $15 per Tb, you are charged the full $15 whether you go over by 2 Mb or the full Tb. However, just because the current offers say the overage rate is $15/Tb, does NOT mean that that is your overage rate.  I learned this the hard way.  I did not pay attention to the overage rate on my plan.  I thought I had purchased what I was seeing online shortly after Christmas (where the overage rate was $15/Tb).   But I purchased my plan just before Christmas and just found out that my overage rate is actually $15/300Mb.  However, when I first called about being overcharged, the agent I spoke with went on my word and gave me a credit. The second agent wasn't sure and initiated an investigation. Once your current offer is no longer featured online, I have found it very difficult to find out what my overage rate actually is.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello laineyb

That is correct. Once the order is done, it's really hard to find the proper overage rate. The only way to do it is when you sign up for it, take a screen shot of the overage rate and have it so u can remember as reps can change words anytime they like.

I've Been Here Awhile

Data Overages

I just wanted to be clear about this, because it seems a little odd.

I subscribe to Gamecenter, and it takes approximately a little over a gig of data to stream one hockey game...which effectively puts me over my data limit for one game. And if I'm reading it correctly, it costs $15 per gig for overage...so after the first game, I'm paying an additional $15 for every game I want to watch?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Data Overages

Yes that is what that means. Unless you connect to wifi to watch future games.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just want to ask that how much does Rogers charge you for data per mb  without any data plan?

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @henry20,

Welcome to the Community 🙂

Are you on a Pay As You Go plan? Please click here to see pricing details for Wireless Internet Add-ons. You can also scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "See full details". 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you,

RogersHassam 

I've Been Here Awhile

I don't know. My brother ordered it for me through phone, and i received it 3 three days later so i don't really know

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99