Data Overage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Data Overage

@Armen wrote:

Asking where can I check new data overage rates?

The information left on help center right now is all old information. Where can I find the new overage charge rate?

Or else would just tell me will be great as well.

Thank you

It should be on your bill (paper) or in the small print when you look at your MyRogers "overview" of each service.

Mine is $1.50/Gig if I go over on my Internet limit (25Gig) and $15.00/Gig if I go over on my LTE cell limit (2Gig).

As you can see below, I am keeping within my internet limit, sort of! The 40GB was due to an on-line session where the guy took control of my PC and starting downloading and reinstalling an entire application.  He was unaware of my limit and I should have cancelled the remote session. Oh well, live and learn, but it cost me $22.50. 

What would be good and fair would be for customers like us to demand credit  when you do not use your limit. It seemed unfair to lose  my 7GB of data in Aug-Sep that I could have used for next month's overage charge.  Let's face it, if you go over the limit, you get charged. But if you go under the limit, can't bank the data.  Has anyone done any cost comparision scenarios with these "Pay as you go" options for the cell phone?  Link:  Pay as you go options   I assume there is nothing like a "pay as you go" plan for the internet packages. Internet options  so demanding credit for unused data is the only thing you can try negotiating due to its unfairness to the customer.

Nov 19/17 - Dec 18/1726 GB25 GB1 GB$1.50
  Oct 19/17 - Nov 18/1724 GB25 GB0 GB$0.00
  Sep 19/17 - Oct 18/1740 GB25 GB15 GB$22.50
  Aug 19/17 - Sep 18/1718 GB25 GB0 GB$0.00
  Jul 19/17 - Aug 18/1725 GB25 GB0 GB$0.00
  Jun 19/17 - Jul 18/1725 GB25 GB0 GB$0.00

I've Been Here Awhile

Got charged 500 extra dollars for 10 GB of data, when my normal plan is 60 for 10 GB. Now your charging an insane about. Rogers is really ripping us off! When I normally only use around 5 GB.

Hello @Pens8711,

Thanks for posting your situation to the Rogers Community! 

I know it's a bad surprise when you get a bill that's higher than usual.

Do you monitor your usage in real time, through the MyRogers app or directly on our website?

After reaching $50 in overages, you should have received a text message giving you the option to accept the charges and confirm, to keep using data transmissions. If you think you've been billed in error let us know! 

Send a message to @CommunityHelps, if you'd like us to further look into it. If you're not familiar with how to send us a PM, follow the instructions outlined in this Blog. 

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, thanks for reaching out to me, it just doesn’t make sense to me I have to pay 8.33 times more for my overage data, extra data. My normal plan 60 for 10 GB , now when I went over I have to pay 8.33 times more 500 for 10 GB. It just doesn’t add up to me. I just can’t believe it, Rogers wants to charge me 500 extra. I am a young student that just can’t afford that that’s why so upsetting to have to pay so much extra.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

As for the overages?  While i personally dont agree with them, and sometimes the RATE of what is charged for them..
They are usually outlined with whatever package you have... you have X amount of usage.. if you go over it, you need to pay at whatever rate.  If you are regularly going to be going over that amount of usage, usually is cheaper to go UP a package. 

I have a 25Gig max data internet package and I have been tracking my usage fairly closely.  When I do go over (at $1.50/G), it is usually due to some Win 10 PC upgrade or some iOS upgrade on my 3 external devices near the end of my billing cycle.  I have never gone over my 2Gig max cellular limit thank goodness (at $15/gig). 

Are there any ISP companies that you know of that provide you with a data floor of say 10Gig free for these endless updates for various apps that everyone has? Sometimes I am updating 10-15 apps on three devices.  My billing cycle is the 18th of the month, so I have to ensure I put my devices on airplane mode to stop them from updating automatically when i am near my 25Gig limit.  Have you seen any discussions on this forum about banking your unused data and using it for the next month.  The business practice of "use it or loose it" certainly doesn't work in the customers favour.  

I've Been Here Awhile

Recently I received a txt message from rogers stating I am over on data by $50 and data has been turned off this is not the first time I felt ripped off so I began monitoring my data when I compiled my evidence and recieved the overage message again I called to be told it was in error and they will fix it... Long and short turned phone off while i worked turned back on and used 3 gigs with phone off. How can one be sure after paying hundreds in overage that any of it was accurate and not a similar error? Call was recorded on my end as well also have screen shots of my rogers usage and data. Use app being in sync till 20 days into month then rogers data use goes out to lunch.

Hi @Brando33,

I understand your frustration because I know what it’s like to get invoices that are higher than expected.

We definitely want to help you identify what is causing the usage made on your account.

You can normally view what your data was used towards, within the settings of your phone.

It allows you to get a better idea of your data consumption.

To save data you can: 

• Use Wi-Fi to download, stream, and update your phone
  • Close apps when not in use
  • Turn off location services
  • Limit your use of tethering or a hotspot
  • Download media and video files and apps on your computer, then sync them to your phone through iTunes (Apple devices) or a data cord.

For more information about saving data, check out: Tips to Manage Wireless Data Usage.

Have you considered reviewing our plans to potentially try and find one that better suits your needs?

• We do not want you to face data overage charges in the future.

We put great tools at your disposition to keep track or your usage and prevent this type of situation from happening.

• Do you use the MyRogers App?

If you are on a Share Everything plan, you have the ability to benefit from the many data saving and monitoring features that we offer. 

Check out this useful article to get a better idea of what we mean by worry-free data management.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

Phone was off how could I use dta settings had data off as well and mysteriously used 3 gig while phone was off so how could phone settings possibly do this? Phoned customer service it was a supposed computer error... Question is how do i know this was not the first time an error caused this?
Highlighted

Hello, @Brando33

We can certainly investigate the data usage of 3 GB while your phone was turned off. At times, the system can't generate the $50 data overage intercept during the maintenance due to some technical issues. However, data usage recorded is accurate. 

You can track the data usage on your phone as well for your peace of mind. I understand you are in touch with the Customer Service; however, you can send us a private message at @CommunityHelps if you need further clarification. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Thank you for understanding!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Around

Has anyone ever tested data usage? I have 30 gig and go over every month. I don’t believe the calculations are correct. I’m getting ripped off. Wifi at home And office all day and night .