Consumer Loyalty Discount

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Consumer Loyalty Discount

I can attest that the recent deal I received was indirectly influenced by compassion - the reality that due to us having less money to work with, we had one of two choices - Rogers offers an adjustment in our services and consider locating the best deal possible on their books, or hidden in the background by the back office staff, or we would be terminating our services, and just finding a new way to live without and move to service mixes we could afford.

If I had to go looking,k I advised them strongly, that I would take whatever good deal was offered and would not be coming back to negotiate last ditch offers with them, that the call would be to cancel.  I said, I refuse to work with car sales using that model, I also refuse to play that game with any services that represent a large portion of my ongoing budget - house costs, if I need to lower heat and light, I use less, if gas for the car is too high, I drive less until I can afford a better gas consumption car, etc.

So there is nothing wrong, in my view of explaining your circumstances, and don't view it as trying to get a deal through compassion, just being honest and upfront on what you can afford - you don't have to explain your circumstances, but I know for me, explaining them was thereapeutic for me in coming to grips with my reality where I could finally say, this is the dollar figure I am working with - it kills all, the for 10.00 more we can do this, (that is 120.00 per year), we are only 20 dollars over your desired price, can we go forward (no, that is 240.00 per year - that is one month's medication costs or a weeks food, etc).

So, I say give it a try, and if you want to tell your circumstances, and your bottome dollar and desired services, that is where we should be starting anyway - what can we pay, what do we want, and if you want to explain what got you here, that is your choice.  I am not looking for compassion or sympathy, I am just being honest, and trying to wrap my head around the realities of my "new world".

Good luck in what ever you choose - now this is a situation I can claim to understand what it can be like - each of our situations is different, but our end goals are similiar - how to live on less money and making choices, and just how difficult it is to make these decisions in the middle of the emotions of significant life changes.

I wish you all the luck.

Take all the information you can get and make a sensible decision based upon your own personal situation.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

@BS wrote:

I can attest that the recent deal I received was indirectly influenced by compassion - the reality that due to us having less money to work with, we had one of two choices - Rogers offers an adjustment in our services and consider locating the best deal possible on their books, or hidden in the background by the back office staff, or we would be terminating our services, and just finding a new way to live without and move to service mixes we could afford.

If I had to go looking,k I advised them strongly, that I would take whatever good deal was offered and would not be coming back to negotiate last ditch offers with them, that the call would be to cancel.  I said, I refuse to work with car sales using that model, I also refuse to play that game with any services that represent a large portion of my ongoing budget - house costs, if I need to lower heat and light, I use less, if gas for the car is too high, I drive less until I can afford a better gas consumption car, etc.

So there is nothing wrong, in my view of explaining your circumstances, and don't view it as trying to get a deal through compassion, just being honest and upfront on what you can afford - you don't have to explain your circumstances, but I know for me, explaining them was thereapeutic for me in coming to grips with my reality where I could finally say, this is the dollar figure I am working with - it kills all, the for 10.00 more we can do this, (that is 120.00 per year), we are only 20 dollars over your desired price, can we go forward (no, that is 240.00 per year - that is one month's medication costs or a weeks food, etc).

So, I say give it a try, and if you want to tell your circumstances, and your bottome dollar and desired services, that is where we should be starting anyway - what can we pay, what do we want, and if you want to explain what got you here, that is your choice.  I am not looking for compassion or sympathy, I am just being honest, and trying to wrap my head around the realities of my "new world".

Good luck in what ever you choose - now this is a situation I can claim to understand what it can be like - each of our situations is different, but our end goals are similiar - how to live on less money and making choices, and just how difficult it is to make these decisions in the middle of the emotions of significant life changes.

I wish you all the luck.

Take all the information you can get and make a sensible decision based upon your own personal situation.

Bruce

Thank you Bruce.

I've Been Here Awhile

A Question on the topic of getting a hold of the folks from the loyalty/retention program.  I've always been told the best way to contact them is via Facebook messenger or Twitter chat; those folks are able to offer the better deals than the folks on the phone.  But for me that's a problem this past summer I made the 100% commitment to detach from social media and emptied out and as close as I can get deactivated my twitter and Facebook, Instagram and all other social media accounts.

So I'm not willing to go back on those platforms, which leads to the question how can I get in contact with the better people to see what they can do for me?  It's not that I need a better rate I just feel that what Rogers wants me to pay to do an upgrade compared to what I'm paying now; or the fact that they didn't give me a discount after my phone was paid off last year I want to see what my options are and how they compare to what I'm paying now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@titusda:

1. See post 22 of this thread and contact  (PM) the Rogers people on this forum.

2. Call Rogers and ask for retentions.

I've Been Here Awhile

Loyalty to Rogers means nothing!

Customer since November 2000
And was told to down grade my wireless plan to “save”. Absolutely NOTHING offered for my almost 18 years with Rogers. Good job Rogers!

Hello @chickinikki2,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and Congratulations on your first post!

We cannot thank you enough for your loyalty to our brand for the last 18 years. That kind of commitment is rare these days so we really want to do our utmost to try to find you the best deal for your wireless services. We'll need to gain access to your information on file in order to take a look at this for you. Please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started.

If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please click here.

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Does not Honour their offers... Beware.

All,  I am a l ong time rogers subscriber, with TV, Internet, Home phone and 3 cells phones.  My bill tops an incedible $500 per month. 

Many years ago, I was offered the "Winback"  promotion.  I switched from satellite service, to Rogers. I turned in two satellight receivers that I owned and was provided a deal that would see me receive  1 - Digital PVR unit, 1 - Digital, and the digital fees  ( valued at $19.95, $12.00 & $2.99 respectively) all free of charge for "life" which they defined as being until 2049, which will certainly exceed my own.  This is a savings of $34.94 per month. 

Over the course of the last 16 or 17 years, i had to return one PVD and one digital terminal, that stopped working, but have had the current ones for at least 14 years. 

The digital terminal stopped working a couple months ago, on a tv that is less used, and now the PVR stopped recording. I reset the pins and did all that but nothing. 

So I go to rogers to exchange the equipment and they don't make the same equipment anymore. ( no surprise, everything is HD now).  Note: The cost of the same HD equipment is $18.00, $12.00 & 2.99  so the value to upgrade to HD is actually less than I have been charged (and discounted) for the past 16 years or so.

The refuse to offer the winbak program.  They will not honour the offer they made to provide these services until 2049.  Their claim is that because the offer was made on the technology of the day, they can default on their obligations now.  This suggests to me that Rogers did not anticipate any evoluion in technology ( standard def to HD, HD to 4k.. to whats next)  Somehow in making their offer, to provide winbak promotions until 2049, there would be no advances in technology.  This is ludicrous.  If they were going to stick to this requirement, then do they not have an obligation to have the same equipment available until 2049? 

At the end of the day, they are offering a HD PVR free for one year  ( 12 X$18 = $216).  for comparison, the value of the discounts offered by winbak are $34.94 x 360  ( until 2049 rounded) is $12, 578.40.  You can see that a scant $216 is about 1.7% of the value of the offer. 

As noted, the cost to Rogers to honour the deal is actually $1.95 to their favour as they would have to dicount less for the PVR. 

This is the price fo thier integrity and customer service for a long standing customer, that pays approximaley $6000 per year in their services. 

I did not create the winbak program.  They offered it to customers and I accepted it.  If they said it had a 5 year or 10 year sunset clause, I would still likely have accepted it, but it did not have those clauses. It said until 2049.  It is 30 years from now. 

I beleive this constitues a breech of contract both legally and morally, and I will consider my options including small claims court, to receive my lost future savings. ( less the 216) 

Anyone else have the same issue or run into the same problem?  

Now they are removing the better bundles deal.

So the countdown in on until I leave all together.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I recall that programme quite clearly.  Although it did say "lifetime", most people realized that it was only going to be useful for a certain time period or perhaps the "lifetime" of the equipment (not yours).  Smiley Wink  Migrating to new/different equipment does not fall under Winback, although some people were able to negotiate an extension of the rebate about 10 years ago if they were forced to switch equipment...

It's highly doubtful you would get anywhere with legal proceedings. I suggest that instead you negotiate the best deal on your monthly bill remembering to mention the programme from about 15 years ago (although the CSR may just roll his eyes), as well, obviously, as your current monthly payments.

I was already a Rogers customer those many years ago, but I always purchased my equipment saving thousands of dollars over the years. 

There are lots of similar "lifetime" deals (sports clubs, etc) and most people realize that it's not really for life but a term indicating the foreseeable future.

Edit:  I did some research over on Digital Home regarding this promo (which may also have be known by the term "Realchoice"?) and there may have been a caveat regarding the fact that should you change your package, the "free rental" offer becomes void.  I tried to find the exact wording, but stopped looking after about the 10th search.  I do know that a fair number of people tried to get extensions on the "free rental" when they changed packages or their equipment started failing, but rather than arguing about the "free rental" on its own, they started looking at the overall package offered from Rogers, which is what I negotiate every year or two and obtain a significant discount.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am going to do some searching in my old paperwork piles to see if i can find the original paperwork.

Rogers offers many promotions and they are very specific in the terms, i.e the promotion lasts two years, or fiver years etc.  If they had an unwritten intent to describe this as reasonably foreseeable future, then this should have been disclosed and better defined. At one point, I had to replace one of the terminals and they switched it out for another one, which if i recall was similar but the newer version ( still not HD mind you)  if the new equipment cost more, I would gladly pay the difference, but in fact the value of the deal is less. I just don't see why they don't just grandfather the people on this old plan, chalk it up as a badly defined promotion, and stand by their intent, which was to provide certain services as promised.   I now have to pay more, and lose a benefit that saved me 34.94 per month on equipment.  not other services, or trade offs on other aspects of my bill.

I've Been Here Awhile

Poor loyalty

Good Day.

I am writing this as I feel the loyalty program is needs improvement. They only offer special offers on 1 level of a product such as I can get a deal and go from 7gb to 10gb and save $15 but I only need 3 or 4, and to go lower would actually cost me more.

If I want to upgrade my phones everything goes way up. I feel I already pay too much.

I have been with rogers for 15 years and to upgrade my phones for $0 I would be paying about $195 a month for 2 lines, yet if I goto telus I can get the same phones for $0 and 7gb ( I only need 3) for $215. 

By being a loyal customer to rogers, I essentially save $1.33 per year for each year of loyalty.

I dont feel like a valued customer.

Thanks for letting me vent