Consumer Loyalty Discount

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Consumer Loyalty Discount

@mrbrimi wrote:

Thanks for the advice. It is a sad commentary on the Rogers business model that one must cancel a service in order to get a fair price.

While you don't actually have to cancell,  I do feel that having to imply that you will cancel if you don't get a better deal (unless you are actually going to cancel) is ethically questionable. 

Who pays for theses discounted prices?  IMO if a company can absorb the cost of these discounts they are charging too much in the first place. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Eh, yes and no.

X% discount, across only 10% of the customers?  Yeah they could aborb it.

Mutiply that by 100% of the customers.. thats a VERY different $ value.

Might only be a small decrease across the board..

When i call in, i try to be civil and polite.
I pretty much just say.. my current promo is finished.  I am looking to pay the same (or less if possible) which i am ok with.. but if not, there are other options in the area as well with some good new promos.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@jays77 wrote:

While you don't actually have to cancell,  I do feel that having to imply that you will cancel if you don't get a better deal (unless you are actually going to cancel) is ethically questionable. 

Who pays for theses discounted prices?  IMO if a company can absorb the cost of these discounts they are charging too much in the first place. 

Well, there isn't a button to push for "Give me someone authorized to get me a better deal than I'm getting now". Smiley Wink

Implying you might cancel is the only way you'll get someone who may give you incentive to stay. Rogers isn't going to let a customer just leave without asking why and trying to persuade them to stay.

As for who pays for the discounts, we all do. It's part of doing business. Nobody makes a major purchase, house, car, major appliance, etc. without a bit of haggling. When you're offered a discount on a cable package, all you see is the discounted price and jump at it. A year down the road it will get bumped up to the regular price and that's when you'll really start paying. It's an ethical form of "bait-and-switch".

From my own experience, I was subscribed to an old cable package called Classic Combo. It had everything I needed and I wasn't going to upgrade anytime soon. One evening I got a telemarketing call from Rogers offering me a free PVR. I almost hung up, but it sounded too good to be true, so I played along. Long story short, I got a free refurbished 8300SD (which were being discontinued) and Digital VIP for considerably less than I was paying before. It was a win for me, but in the long run it's a win for Rogers because otherwise today I might be on whatever I can get on basic cable with a DTA. By offering better packages at a discount, Rogers is grooming customers to upgrade in the future.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

To be perfectly honest, we have been receiving retention deals for so long now I cannot even remember how long. I am not even sure how we got the first one, but I believe it was Rogers who suggested that since we had been long term customers (I had called them for another issue), that they could do something better for us. There was no way we would argue at getting a better price! Smiley Wink

Since then, I have called in every year (lately it has been every 2 years). I always call the regular Rogers number, hit 4 to cancel, and right away I am taken to retentions. I have never threatened to cancel. As Gdkitty wrote above, I simply explain that our 1- or 2-year deal is about to expire and that we would like to renew. Every call has produced the same results. Rogers has never failed to come up with a deal that gives us incentive to continue as customers. The percentages may vary a bit from year to year; the services that we get discounts on may also vary. While I never look forward to the day when the discount is about to expire and making that phone call once again, I have never been disappointed with the results!

I do have one additional suggestion though, On at least a couple of occasions I have spoken to a rep that has not suggested a deal that we would be happy with. On those occasions, I have simply said that I would think about it. I wait a couple of days, call back and speak to someone else. The second person somehow always improves the first offer!

I'm a Senior Advisor

As says, there's nothing shameful or unethical in seeking a better deal. Some people are good at it and enjoy the trip, while others are too embarrassed to even ask. One thing you can be sure of, Rogers are the pros and we're the amateurs. Rogers will never give you anything that's going to cost them money in the long run. If you can outfox the pros, more power to you.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Oh I understand. I have nothing against asking for a discount, It's probably just me. I couldn't say I would go somewhere else unless that is what I was prepared to do prepared to do.

I get the phone calls from Rogers and Bell
that say they can offer me savings, but it entails upgrading to a higher package. The saving is off the cost of the higher package, but the total price is more than what I am now paying so for me I would still be paying more than what I am at present.

I guess for me, the one aspect I do have is that I have no contact commitment and can continue on or cancel a service at any time without penalty.
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been a customer for over 19yrs and very much unhappy with the response i got today when i called to ask about my increase in my bill and i was clearly told that this is the price. The customer rep did not care to help out and didn't want to help. This is not the first this has happened to me. It seems as rogers dont care about their customer's anymore. I mentioned to the rep that i have gotten the same response from other reps. I explained to the rep my situation and the reason i am calling and she basically told me that's the price. Then right after i told her that Fido was offering$65.00 for unlimited internet and she told me they are 2nd class. She did not even offer to try and keep me as a customer, i asked her so how do i go about canceling my service. The rep you can cancel anytime. I am really upset over this situation, it clearly shows how much they care about their customers. I will be taking my business elsewere.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Spundit:

I suggest you contact one of the moderators of this forum. They have proven to be more then helpful in the past with this sort of thing.  You send them a PM as instructed in the following post the next time you're logged in.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Live-Chat-Customer-Service-Issues/m-p/402604#M1...

If you do get a good result, please post back here.

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @Spundit

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for your post!

We definitely value your loyalty and would definitely like to change your experience around for you.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps next time you're online and we can take a look at options for your services.  For more information on our Private Message system, see this page.

RogersPrasana 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The price increases.. go across the board..  generally regardless of plan, unless you are on a specific 'no increase' type of contract. (new or older plan)

All that being said.. yeah you may have just got a bad person. 
Generally, if the person really looks into stuff, there is some loyalty type plans/discounts available.  Especially if you are a longer standing customer, the more services you have, etc.

EG: I am on semi recent plan for internet, not the newest TV plans.  Yeah, they went through the increase.  But I have been able to get a contract (2 year) pricing, with a like 25-30% discount across the board.
As well, same with the cellular (my wifes).  She was on what was a premium plus plan 2 years ago.  That plan has now aged, and considered a premium only (so less of a hardware discount if staying on it).  The NEWER equivalent plan, was $30 more/month! 
Talked with rogers (actually did it over facebook messenger... the guys on facebook/twitter, which i think are some of the same ones as here? are AWESOME.  They have never failed in finding deals for me), and they were able to find a loyalty cell plan, which IS considered a premium plus.  $10 more than before, but also has +1gb more than her prev.