cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing Cellular Plan Choices

User14
I'm a trusted contributor

I have the "share everything" Legacy Premium plan with 2GB of data, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads. Pretty Simple!  One phone is at $90/mo and the other is $65/mo.   ie. Talk - Unlimited Canada-wide Calling;  Text - Unlimited CanadaWide Sent & Received Text, Picture & Video Messages.  The two iPads are $10/mo with data only.

I got the message: "Take advantage of these special offers just for you!"

They are offering me 4GB at $ 80 /month on the  Share Everything plan. I don't even use the 2GB!!

Nevertheless, I did look up "new plans" for one of  our iPhones on the current Share Everything data plan.
I began to notice some discrepancies.

Our current plan has an overage rate of $5/100MB, whereas the plan details say the overage rate is $10/100MB

If I change plans to a $60/mo plan for the one $65/mo phone, I seem to only lose Group Calling but the overage rate is $7/100MB.   Shouldn't it be $5/100MB

Does the overage rate change for the device on the Share Everything Plan?

Are these real discrepancies on the overage rates, even for our own existing plan, or just a mistake? 

And what does NOTAB mean (no talk, no text?)?

This is the only new plan that popped up for the one $65/mo phone.  $60/mo.

Cell plans.jpg

The $60/mo seems to be a $5/mo reduction for a "new plan" on the Share Everything plan.

Is there a catch? Or, have I just been paying $5 extra because I have not reviewed my cell plans in quite some time?

If I look to change plans on the one phone, I noticed that I can also get several other options that are cheaper.  When you are on the Share Everything plan are your options for new plans restricted??

Depending upon how you look up changing your cell plan, you get various offers which make changing plans very confusing.

Has anyone gone through this gauntlet of pain sticks trying to figure out if you can find a lower cost plan?

I suspect this is deliberately made confusing? 

Any advice on this malaise of options would be appreciated.

More offers on the same $65/mo iPhone: 

Cell Plans 2.jpg

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Confusing Cellular Plan Choices

RogersZia

Hey @User14,

You raise some good points. First of all, we cannot confirm what your current overages are without actually looking at your plan. If you want us to confirm the rate please reach out to us via PM.

Second, yes the current overage rate for the in-market Share Everything plans is $10/100 MB, as you can see here (please expand by clicking on Show Details).  

Third, No Tab plans are month to month plans, also known as Bring Your Own Device Plans. These plans are not compatible with an upgrade i.e you will have to switch to a Ultra, Premium Plus, Premium Tab etc to get a subsidized device.

At first look it does seem overwhelming to see several different pricing for one additional line. But if you notice in the last screenshot you shared, each price difference indicates a difference in what's included with the plan. For example, $25/month plan only includes a limited amount of Canada-wide airtime. At the same time, $40/month comes with unlimited Canada-wide calling.

If you're interested in changing the current plan you are more than welcome to reach out to us @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to assist you.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

RogersZia

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RogersZia

Hey @User14,

You raise some good points. First of all, we cannot confirm what your current overages are without actually looking at your plan. If you want us to confirm the rate please reach out to us via PM.

Second, yes the current overage rate for the in-market Share Everything plans is $10/100 MB, as you can see here (please expand by clicking on Show Details).  

Third, No Tab plans are month to month plans, also known as Bring Your Own Device Plans. These plans are not compatible with an upgrade i.e you will have to switch to a Ultra, Premium Plus, Premium Tab etc to get a subsidized device.

At first look it does seem overwhelming to see several different pricing for one additional line. But if you notice in the last screenshot you shared, each price difference indicates a difference in what's included with the plan. For example, $25/month plan only includes a limited amount of Canada-wide airtime. At the same time, $40/month comes with unlimited Canada-wide calling.

If you're interested in changing the current plan you are more than welcome to reach out to us @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to assist you.

RogersZia

User14

@RogersZia wrote:

Hey @User14,

RogersZia

Thanks for the feedback, but I am not quite sure why we are in Account Support instead of Wireless Support

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/smartphone-plans?ipn=1

Let's deal with my first question concerning overage rates on this plan. I'll ask here rather than  Community Helps so that there is greater openness and transparency for customers who may have the same curiousity. 

My "current plan" overage rate says  $5/100MB, whereas the "plan details" overage rate says $10/100MB.  See yellow box in image below.  Why is that? Can you explain the discrepancy?

Cell Plan 3.jpg

Good morning @User14!

I understand you want to keep this conversation public, however as this is an account specific inquiry, we will have to bring you into PM in order to answer your question. We need to gather your account info and check your overage rates directly from our end.

It is most likely that this discrepancy is something as simple as a typo on the website. Once we have determined your correct overage rate, we can submit an escalation to have the info on the website corrected. 

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

User14

Hi Corey,

Lets move on to the next issue of confusion for Cellular Plan Choices.  When I looked up the Wireless Data Plan choices I first tried the one for the Smartphone.  There are a few other choices but there is no indication or detailed explanation of the differences, nor the price differences of each plan.  You just see "Monthly plans from: $"

Wireless Smartphone plans.jpg

Furthermore, when you click on +See Full Details you get various explanations of restrictions and services that are not defined in relation to the 5 plans offered. (see below). In fact, there are even terms like "extreme text messages" that are not defined. Is it possible to simply provide +See Full Details for each plan? ie. Ultra tab, Premium+ tab, Premium tab, Smart tab and No tab. 

To add to the confusion of figuring out the full details of each smartphone plan, there are references to additional restrictions if you have My 5/10 for example.  In this case you are refered to a  FAQ without a link. 

Basically, it appears that confusion is the objective of presenting information on these plans in this fashion. 

Can something be done to simplify it or put the plans in a matrix showing the various permutations of sub-options for each plan?

1. Compatible device required. Includes unlimited text/picture/video messages sent from Canada to a Canadian wireless number and received texts from anywhere. Sent/received premium texts (alerts, messages related to content and promotions), sent international texts and sent/received picture/video messages (as applicable) while roaming are not included and charged at applicable rates.
  2. On the Rogers Network or in an Extended Coverage area excluding calls made through Call Forwarding, Video calling or similar services.
  3. Unlimited local calls (or unlimited province-wide calls in the province of Quebec) on the Rogers Network or in an Extended Coverage area, excluding calls made through Call Forwarding, Video calling or similar services.
  4. Compatible device required. Call display allows you to see the number of an incoming caller even if they are not in your address book. Name Display allows you to see a caller’s name and number before answering the phone. Not all names and numbers can be identified. Connection to the Rogers network required for Name Display.
  5. Enhanced Voicemail is a service that allows you to receive up to 35 messages each up to 5 minutes in length and you can save each one for up to 10 days.
  6. Additional Call Forwarding minutes 10¢/minute (rounded to the next full minute).
  7. Based on Rogers internal testing dated September 11, 2017, analyzing total amount of data used to view mobile-video content from the 30 content providers most often used by Rogers customers with Stream Saver vs. without. Customer-initiated service reduces available bandwidth while viewing select mobile video-streaming content, resulting in delivery of a lower-resolution video stream. Stream Saver may not be able to recognize all video content; unrecognized higher-resolution video will continue to stream at its normal speed and resolution.
  8. Basic Voicemail is a service that allows you to receive up to 3 messages each up to 3 minutes in length and you can save each one for up to 3 days.
  9. Excluding prepaid accounts, most enterprise plans as well as monthly plans that include roaming services. Additional restrictions apply for My 5/10 customers. See FAQ for details. Taxes extra. Roam Like Home daily fee is a Pay-Per-Use rate and subject to change without notice. Fee is charged per line (added to your monthly service fee) and applies for 24 hours from first use while in the U.S. See rogers.com/terms for full terms and conditions. Roaming charges apply when outside the eligible destination. Data: Usage exceeding plan allotment charged in increments rounded up to next MB or GB (as per plan). Texts: Includes texts sent to local wireless number while in eligible destination or to Canadian wireless number. Sent/received premium texts and sent international texts to destinations other than eligible destinations charged at applicable rates. Calls: While in eligible destination, includes unlimited calls to local numbers or Canadian numbers. International long distance rates apply to calls to other destinations. See rogers.com/terms.
  10. If removed from your account, a Canada+US plan cannot be reactivated on this line for 12 months. Additional airtime, data, long distance, roaming, add-ons, provincial 9-1-1 fees (if applicable) and taxes are extra and billed monthly. On the Rogers Network, in an Extended Coverage area or in the U.S., excluding calls made through Call Forwarding, Video Calling or similar services. Plan includes calls from Canada and the U.S to Canadian and U.S. numbers only. Usage exceeding plan allotment charged in increments of $10/100 MB rounded up to next 100 MB. Includes messages sent from Canada or the U.S. to email addresses or Canadian, U.S. and international wireless numbers. Sent/received premium messages and messages sent while roaming outside the U.S. extra. If you currently subscribe to a Share Everything plan, changing your primary line plan to an in-market plan will require that all secondary lines also be migrated to in-market plans and pricing.
  11. Limited time offer. Offer available to customers activating or phone upgrade to a new primary line to an Ultra Share Everything plan on a 2-year term. If you currently subscribe to a Share Everything plan, changing your primary line to this plan will require you to move to an in-market plan and pricing; standalone price plan changes not eligible. Data is shareable across all devices on the Share Everything plan.
  12. Compatible device required. Includes 50 extreme text messages sent from Canada to a Canadian wireless number and received texts from anywhere. Sent/ received premium texts (alerts, messages related to content and promotions), sent international texts and sent/received picture/video (as applicable) while roaming not included and charged at applicable rates.
  13. The 5 GB of data bonus is available when you activate or upgrade a phone to a Primary line Ultra, Premium+, Premium, Smart or No Tab Share Everything plan. It is shareable across all devices on a Share Everything plan. Ineligible plan change following activation of plan will cancel the data bonus.
  14. The 3 GB of data bonus is shareable across all devices on a Share Everything plan. Maximum one voice and data additional line activation per account.
  15. The monthly service fee discount of $10/month applies to Ultra, Premium Tab, Premium + Tab, Smart Tab additional line activations only. Excludes tablet, stick, hotspot, rocket hub, Talk & Text and Wireless Home Phone additional lines. May not be combined with any other monthly service fee discount offer unless specifically stated. Credit of $10/month for the 2nd line or more additional lines will appear on customer’s bill following activation and will be applied for up to 24 months as long as customer maintains eligibility.
  16. The 6 GB of data bonus is available when you activate or upgrade a phone to a Primary line Ultra, Premium+, Premium, Smart or No Tab Share Everything plan. It is shareable across all devices on a Share Everything plan. Ineligible plan change following activation of plan will cancel the data bonus.
  17. The 8 GB of data bonus is available when you activate or upgrade a phone to a Primary line Ultra, Premium+, Premium, Smart or No Tab Share Everything plan. It is shareable across all devices on a Share Everything plan. Ineligible plan change following activation of plan will cancel the data bonus.

Good morning @User14!

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We will pass it along.

Regards,

RogersCorey

User14

@RogersCorey wrote:

Good morning @User14!

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We will pass it along.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Thanks Corey.

Now let's move on to a third more confusing item related to the Cellular Data Plans.  I have been discussing it with various moderators under "Keeping Rogers Email".  I might as well add it to this list of "Confusing Cellular Plan Choices"  so you can pass it along too.

I was told I can keep my Rogers email if I cancel my INTERNET only I have a MOBILE Internet Data Plan.  I then looked up the Plans and I indicated that I had a data plan for my SMARTPHONE. I was then told the Data Plan could only be for the Mobile Internet Plans:

Wireless Mobile Internet Plan.jpg

So when I check  the options for Mobile Internet Plans I find that I had two choices of LIGHT and HEAVY:

Wireless Mobile Data Plans.jpg

I do have Light Tablet Plan (Data ONLY) for $10.00.  "Share ready access plan"Wireless Package Tablet.jpg

From my perspective, with this plan I should have been able to retain my Rogers Email if I cancelled my Internet.

Yet I was told I misunderstood and that I can only retain my Rogers Email when I cancel my Internet if I use a Hotspot, Stick or Rocket Hub device.  The website information is totally mute on this subject which as you can imagine is frustrating.  I have asked for an explanation as TABLETS are listed as a suitable device, but you can see, these Cellular Plan Choices are terribly confusing regarding full details and interpretations of functionality with these cellular plans can be very capricious.   Please pass this information on too.  

Thanks again @User14!

I can confirm that, as my fellow moderators have indicated, you can only retain your Rogers email address if you have a Rocket Stick, Rocket Hub or Hotspot.

Regards,

RogersCorey

User14

@RogersCorey wrote:

Thanks again @User14!

I can confirm that, as my fellow moderators have indicated, you can only retain your Rogers email address if you have a Rocket Stick, Rocket Hub or Hotspot.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Thanks Corey,

Your comments are noted.   The confusing part of information for this Thread  relates to Tablets which are included for Mobile Internet Plans (see below), which is required to keep a Rogers email.  But then, I am told Tablets are excluded without any rationale.  As the subject states: - Confusing.  

Hopefully, the explanation as to why Tablets are excluded will be communicated to me in the other thread.

I was told: "Transparency is really important to us and we'll do our best to help clarify! " 

Let's hope I get clarification on the rationale for this.  

Cheers,

Wireless Mobile Internet Plans - Light.jpg

qwerty09876
I've been here awhile
The plan sucks over all for existing customers and for me they increased my existing plan by $20 a month because I didn't take advantage of getting a new phone in March. They took my tab plan, changed it to no tab, and kept the cost the same. Previously if I went to no tab it was $15 less a month. I have 4 lines with Rogers and for me to switch to the new plan it costs me an extra $480 a year. This setup is a complete slap in the face for existing customers and I have been one for over 20 years and now looking for creative ways to make it work. The worst part is I only want to upgrade one of the 3 phones on the account (1 of the 4 is no tab) as the contract is expired and told sorry can't help u unless you spend an extra $480 dollars a year. I may have to suck it up and wait until all phones expire in 2020 and hope the competition takes advantage of this change and offers better deals. I don't even need or want unlimited data nor would it help me once it is reduced to early 2000s speed. I am not alone in this and have heard worse stories but, they were able to get a non rogers company make changes to their plan to keep it and add a phone. If they delt with Roger's their yearly cost increased by over a thousand a year. Oh and the only creative way so far is to cancel my cable with Rogers to keep my monthly costs flat....what a joke.
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 in conversation