Community Forums - Link Problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Community Forums - Link Problems

For the past 2 weeks, I have been having problems with the Next/Prev and Message Listing links in the Forums.  I figured that others would be having similar problems and would report it, but so far I have not seen anyone else with this issue.

Here are the symptoms:

When I am in a multi-page post and click either Next for the next page, or click on a page number, I get the message:

"An invalid set of parameters has been specified in the url." with a link to go back to my original page.

The problem is that the links provide a thread ID that is different from the thread I am in and do not provide a page number, which is in a valid link.

If I then go back to my original page and click Message Listing, I am taken to a random page in the forum and have to click the "1" link to take me to the first page.  

Most of my browsing is done on a Macbook running OS X 10.10.5 using the Chrome browser, but the same problem occurs using Firefox, and I verified that I have the same problem on Windows 7 with Firefox, and on my Android tablet using Chrome.

I have tried deleting all the Rogers cookies and the cache with no difference.  This morning, I tried Windows 7 and Chrome which is a combination that I have never used to sign on to Rogers.  Everything worked fine.

I am at a loss to explain this.  Short of uninstalling and re-installing the browser (which will mean I lose everything for every site), does anyone have any suggestions on another action I could try?

Solved! Go to Solution.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Community Forums - Link Problems

Hi @roxandtreez

Can't say that I've ever experienced this myself. Usually any "Invalid Parameters" message can be cleared up by a Cookies and Cache clear.

It could be that a Moderator was working in the thread at the time, thus causing the message to pop when you moved to the next page.

RogersDarrell

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersDarrell  It is happening on every post in every forum every day for 2 weeks, so it is not a transient problem.

As an example, for the thread about the mandatory userid change, the link to page 1 in the listing is:

communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/MyRogersSupport/thread-id/14558/page/1

However, once I get into the thread, the page 1 link and the Prev link are as follows:

communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/page/1/thread-id/14558

This link causes the error message.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@roxandtreez that is a familiar problem that a Rogers mod has verified but nothing has been fixed and it still persists. Sometimes clicking "next" or the next page number works and sometimes it just gives an error message. Also, there is now a new bug where clicking "Message Listing" no longer takes you to the latest page, but to some random page months previously that doesn't show any new posts. You now have to click the forum again in the navigation panel on the right to get back to the latest page. I have brought this to Rogers' attention with no response.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR Thanks.  As long as it is not just me, I can learn to live with it.  I can now tell from the link whether it will work or not, so I can avoid the error message by just clicking message listing and then selecting Page 1.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@roxandtreez wrote:

@OLDYELLR Thanks.  As long as it is not just me, I can learn to live with it.  I can now tell from the link whether it will work or not, so I can avoid the error message by just clicking message listing and then selecting Page 1.

I saw my reply marked as a "Solution". In fact it's just a workaround, a kludge to overcome another Rogers website bug. You should not have to find alternative ways to see the next message or return to the latest page of the forum because it isn't working correctly.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR  I marked it as a solution because if Rogers fixes your reported problem, mine will go away.  For me it is a solution because it means I can stop trying to find out what is wrong with my configuration/OS/browser and spend my time on something more productive.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@roxandtreez yes, it's a "soution", but a workaround discovered by us, not an actual fix by Rogers.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It's a problem that has been around for quite awhile giving me the impression that fixing it is not high on their priority list.