Charges from Mobivillage for iFortune

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Charges from Mobivillage for iFortune

Just got my latest bill and it shows a charge for 9.99 from a company called Mobivillage, for a product called iFortune. 

I never signed up for this or subscribed to it but after some research I've found that you subscribe by simply clicking on a pop up through safari. I've never even seen a pop up on safari for mobile OS!!

Very frustrating, I recieved text messages from them but didn't think they would be charging me. The last one I got was a month after my first text, it told me to stop the subscription text STOP, I did and it was cancelled. However I did get charged for the 9.99.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Did they get a refund somehow? I called mobivillage but they weren't much help, he wanted all my info so he could submit a billing ticket. I hung up knowing they were a scam company and I didn't want them to have anymore info on me then they did already. 

****Edited Labels****

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Charges from Mobivillage for iFortune

Call rogers since they are the ones looking for the money.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

These ate one of those tough ones. Yes Rogers is the one billing you, but only because they have paid that company already.

Now, these sorts of companies are not supposed to bill you unless you enroll, via some method (web page, by texting them a code, etc)

I agree, call Rogers and have them go to the company and have them prove to Rogers that you agreed to the service somehow.

I've Been Around

i just had the same charge on my cell phone bill. Believe me i ignore all the unwanted texts. They had the nerve to charge me for a fortune telling service for 9.99. Rogers made me call the 3rd party and they told me they would reverse the charge and text me about "unsubscribing". What a joke the text came back only that i did not have a subscription anymore. Nothing about a refund.

I had to call Rogers again and have them take off the charge. I can't believe there is not a public outcry about these types of scammers and their charges. Totally illegal if you ask me.

I've Been Around

i agree rogers is setting up accounts as if they were credit cards with no regards to verifing as to the legitity of said purchase there fore any one can make a charge to you through them as a credit card
and these big corporation support this type of theft
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers refuses to acknowledge this service claiming they have no idea what it is. Try calling the number and you get Bangalore. It sounds like a scam set up by internal employees as you are not allowed to escalate the complaint. The corruption is obvious when you are stonewalled by the customer service. Contact your Member of Parliament and have these shady practices outlawed in Canada.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The phone providers are not the ones to blame here, it's the people sending these chargeable messages.
It's hard going after them legally as they are out of country usually.

Personally, I find little usage in those types of things, and beleive they should not accept them PERIOD, but the problem is that there are legit ones, that people DO sign up for. 😞

I Plan to Stick Around

Actually Rogers is to blame. I get a bill from Rogers. I get threats from Rogers if I do not pay these spurious charges.

I blame the company that has their logo on the bill.

The company that threatens my credit if I don't pay.

Rogers.

From a company that calls me asking for my consumer opinion, I am amazed at how little their customer service cares when I call them.  Getting a phone from Rogers was a big mistake. With security holes in their system that allow this to happen, the public has to be made aware of how you will be held liable for their faulty systems.

What a nightmare!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GeorgeThorkelso

Every company has security holes & flaws, not only Rogers. I have heard this happen on Telus & Bell MANY times as well. The charged get bills threw Rogers & then Rogers gives whatever the % is to the company. The charged can be dealt with both companies but like we all know, both companies do not want to take responsibility at all.

The customer service reps are just normal people working at a call center. They do not always know what the problem is or what is going on. You can not blame them at all. Blame Rogers head office & the Managers for this issue. IF many people call in about it, something may happen but if only a few call in, nothing will happen because they will say that you opened that window & added your info & accepted the charge & such.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Meow is right.. this would happen, on no matter WHAT company you went with.. these charges could be added, from these 3rd party company.

Now yes, its possible that some of the companies, may have differnt policies, on how to deal with when a customer disputes the charges, etc.

My brother with telus, has been stuck with 2 of these to date.. luckly were only 99c ones.  What was explained to him, was the following:
You are joe blow, that saw an add for ringtones, enter the code, etc.. comes in, and your charged for it.  Same person then goes "OH CRAP", and calls in and trys to get it refunded/not have to pay for it.  The phone company  has to eat the cost for their mistake (or they could even do this, to get FREE stuff, etc).  Its because of people like this.. that people who actualy do get true SCAMMED by it.. have no recourse.. because other people have ruinied it.

Like i said above.. its the NATURE of being able to do these sorts of charges period that is to blame.. and bad people taking advantage of it.   Its either on and you could get nailed, or they disable it alltogether.