Charged for roaming and international sms i did not do!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Charged for roaming and international sms i did not do!!

I don't know what is going on but I've been charged for roaming and international sms for the past 3-4 months that I did not do. My bill shows that I've sent them while in Canada to different 436 numbers (I searched and 436 is not even an assigned area code?!) and that i've been travelling I don't know where outise canada and us and sending text messages. They did not credit the ones I made from Canada to 436 numbers because "they were sent from Canada" as per customer service agent....  Why would I send 20 messages to random numbers? The agent said its probably because the person i'm texting is using another app...are you serious? No! I'm really careful to who I send texts and most of the ppl I send to are using iphones with imessage. 

Anybody else has this issue? I don't know what to do because I'm sure i'll be charged again next month!

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Charged for roaming and international sms i did not do!!

Are you running any messaging programs, which kind of tie into the phone number.. like whatsapp?

Are you (or did you ever) sign up for the Rogers One Number for your cell?
(just curious, as if someone has stolen your login info, could be using it to send them out).

could be 436 country codes?
(436 = Tajikistan)

I've Been Here Awhile

I do have whatsapp but I didn't used it recently.

No I don't have Rogers One Number.

It's just weird that I am sending txt msgs to all different 436 numbers and not receiving anything from those numbers nor receiving any international txt from anyone. 

Lol, never heard of Tajikistan before..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had to look it up, when i found the code was from there.  Little country nestled inbetween russia, pakistan, that sort of area.

Make sure that whatsapp is 100% closed/off/not running... just incase its doing something weird in the background.

It showing these texts DAILY? or randomly, etc?
Just wondering..if you could do a test.. call in to rogers open a ticket.. and say for the next 24 hours my phone will be OFF.  Then see if any texts are accrued durring that time period.

I've Been Here Awhile

I think they are random. I'm not sure, the rep was not helpful and hung up on my face after 30 mins on hold.

Apparently it is a known problem and they are ''working on it'' but they still wont reverse the charges... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Texts, are one things i wish there were better records for Smiley Sad

You can call in and get detailed billing turned on.  will show EVERY SINGLE call in and out of the phone, etc..

But i WISH there was that level of detail, for texting... would do GREAT for troubleshooting in these situations.

I've Been Here Awhile

Could the person who is sending texts to you, are they sending them via email and you're replying to them? Then the random 436 numbers are SMS short codes. Rogers issues 9-digit short codes that are charged to your phone when you reply to someone who is texting you from email to cell phone.

I am in the midst of talking to tech support to find out what the 9-digit short code falls under. If it's under international text or they don't have a plan it falls under at all. I talked to a rep at a Rogers store and they had no clue what I was talking about. I'm wondering if I'll get anywhere with Roger's tech support.

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hi @sybertek

I would presume this depends on your package. If you are responding to someone who texted you via email and the message is going back is just a text, your package would determine if you are going to get charged. Im not sure why would need to find out the 9 digit short code as we would just analyze our billing system to determine if the charges are valid. If the messages are being charged as international when they shouldn't be we can look into this.

Let me know if you need further support.

RogersAsif