Changing service providers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Changing service providers

@User14 wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

You should receive your final bill, etc from them, with any final charges, etc.. and then that should be it.

Assuming you ported over your number, etc to the other service, this should have processed the start of the cancel process on rogers side.
(may want to call in just to be sure)

For Changing Service Providers, a few more questions:

1. If you change ISP, does the new ISP cancel all the Rogers services? and when? 

2. After switching the TV service and you own the Rogers PVRs, can you still play any recorded program directly on your TV?

3. When switching the Internet service, I was told that Rogers will let you continue to use the  @rogers.com email address on Yahoo for $10/month. Is this true and do you have to arrange that with Rogers?

4. When switching Internet, how long do you have to return the rented wi/fi modem?

5. When switching Home Phone service, how long do you have to return the Rogers VoiP equipment?

6. When switching cell phone service, do you have to return the cell phone SIM cards?

7. When you switch, do you have to return any iPad SiM cards as well? 

In response to some of your other questions:

1. If you change ISP, does the new ISP cancel all the Rogers services? and when? 

Some will do it, some won't and some will prefer that you do it yourself - for your new provider to do it, you have to contact Rogers and put a note on file that the new company will be cancelling your service.  You have to give the new company all your identifying information in terms of address, account holder name, account number. It all depends upon the rep and the company - I have discussed this with various local providers and large providers.  So ask if you are switching if they are willing to do it - can't hurt.

2. After switching the TV service and you own the Rogers PVRs, can you still play any recorded program directly on your TV?

@User14   I did some of my own tests - Yes, I replicated your test - I had the identical result that I had to turn the box of once, then I was able to get list for PVR - I didn't have to go to guide though.  Everything that was already in memory on the box, the registration I would guess, the current guide at time I did it is there, plus the PVR list and ability to play the shows.

On Demand channel just sits on load - can't load with no connection.

I did try doing it TV unplugged - result was it will go through the first boot, but then the initialization count -001- and upwards, it stops on -001- and can't go any further, so it looks like if you ever lose the power to the box, it will be useless. 

3. When switching the Internet service, I was told that Rogers will let you continue to use the  @rogers.com email address on Yahoo for $10/month. Is this true and do you have to arrange that with Rogers?.

Can't comment on that one - I cancelled all Rogers yahoo accounts back when the mess with the hack on Yahoo occurred and then the attempt to change the fine print of the contract with Canadian customers, which they back pedaled on. Others may be able to comment on it, I have read posts, but never did understand it, since I never tried it.

4. When switching Internet, how long do you have to return the rented wi/fi modem?

I believe it is within 5 days, then you get charged for equipment.

5. When switching Home Phone service, how long do you have to return the Rogers VoiP equipment?

Same as home equipment - there are support documents on all the equipment

Return Home Phone Modem

CANCEL YOUR SERVICE, FOLLOW THESE TWO STEPS

1. Contact us at 1-888-764-3771 and allow us to process the required work order
  2. Drop off your equipment at your nearest Rogers Plus store. Find your nearest Rogers Plus Store

Rental equipment and all components must be returned in good working condition and within 5 days of the cancellation date. Otherwise, the undiscounted retail value of such equipment and components will automatically be charged to your account.

To help you identify the hardware you need to return, please refer to the appropriate tab below:

Hardware Identification - items may vary based upon availability/region

Home Phone Terminal
Home Phone TermincalHome Phone Termincal

Power Cord or Power Supply
Power CordPower Supply

Last updated: July 12, 2017

6. When switching cell phone service, do you have to return the cell phone SIM cards?

No, the SIM just becomes deactivated and useless.  If you want to go back, you will be getting a new SIM card at that time.

Same as 6.

Take care, hope that helps to clarify for all.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

In response to some of your other questions:

Some will do it, some won't and some will prefer that you do it yourself - for your new provider to do it, you have to contact Rogers and put a note on file that the new company will be cancelling your service.  You have to give the new company all your identifying information in terms of address, account holder name, account number. It all depends upon the rep and the company - I have discussed this with various local providers and large providers.  So ask if you are switching if they are willing to do it - can't hurt.

@User14   I did some of my own tests - Yes, I replicated your test - I had the identical result that I had to turn the box of once, then I was able to get list for PVR - I didn't have to go to guide though.  Everything that was already in memory on the box, the registration I would guess, the current guide at time I did it is there, plus the PVR list and ability to play the shows.

On Demand channel just sits on load - can't load with no connection.

I did try doing it TV unplugged - result was it will go through the first boot, but then the initialization count -001- and upwards, it stops on -001- and can't go any further, so it looks like if you ever lose the power to the box, it will be useless. 

3. When switching the Internet service, I was told that Rogers will let you continue to use the  @rogers.com email address on Yahoo for $10/month. Is this true and do you have to arrange that with Rogers?.

Can't comment on that one - I cancelled all Rogers yahoo accounts back when the mess with the hack on Yahoo occurred and then the attempt to change the fine print of the contract with Canadian customers, which they back pedaled on. Others may be able to comment on it, I have read posts, but never did understand it, since I never tried it.

I believe it is within 5 days, then you get charged for equipment.

Same as home equipment - there are support documents on all the equipment

Return Home Phone Modem

CANCEL YOUR SERVICE, FOLLOW THESE TWO STEPS

1. Contact us at 1-888-764-3771 and allow us to process the required work order
  2. Drop off your equipment at your nearest Rogers Plus store. Find your nearest Rogers Plus Store

Rental equipment and all components must be returned in good working condition and within 5 days of the cancellation date. Otherwise, the undiscounted retail value of such equipment and components will automatically be charged to your account.

To help you identify the hardware you need to return, please refer to the appropriate tab below:

Hardware Identification - items may vary based upon availability/region

Home Phone Terminal
Home Phone TermincalHome Phone Termincal

Power Cord or Power Supply
Power CordPower Supply

Last updated: July 12, 2017

No, the SIM just becomes deactivated and useless.  If you want to go back, you will be getting a new SIM card at that time.

Same as 6.

Take care, hope that helps to clarify for all.

Thanks @BS 

Here is some more information I received:

-  I am told that a change over takes place on the same day.  They call it a "seamless switch".  Nice to know.

-  I am confirming that if you keep power on your Rogers PVR (ie don't unplug it or reboot) you can continue to watch your recorded programs. (with the remote). We accidentally unplugged the power to the signal amplifier for the TVs. The boot cycle for the PVR just continues with "loading".  With the cable input disconnected, I would assume that no Rogers overnight updates would occur to lock out the use of the PVR. 

3. When switching the Internet service, I was told that Rogers will let you continue to use the  @rogers.com email address on Yahoo for $10/month. Is this true and do you have to arrange that with Rogers?

- This aspect of switching is still a question mark some saying yes and some saying no. 

4 & 5. When switching ISPs, how long do you have to return the ISP equipment?

- One service provider said the equipment must be returned in good condition (reasonable and normal wear and tear excepted) within 30 days from cancellation (by you or by the ISP).

6 & 7. When switching wireless services, do you have to return the SIM cards?

- You get a new SIM card but you can switch over your cell phone numbers without a problem.

8. Additional question related to switching ISPs.  Internet speeds.   My research indicates that DSL speeds have been slower historically but the speed gap between DSL and Cable Internet is now quite small. If we want speed, would a Cable Internet provider give you more speed than a DSL Internet provider? I was told I would get 50Mbps in my area, not up to 50Mbps, but a minimum of 50Mbps.  Sales tactic??

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14 wrote:

8. Additional question related to switching ISPs.  Internet speeds.   My research indicates that DSL speeds have been slower historically but the speed gap between DSL and Cable Internet is now quite small. If we want speed, would a Cable Internet provider give you more speed than a DSL Internet provider? I was told I would get 50Mbps in my area, not up to 50Mbps, but a minimum of 50Mbps.  Sales tactic??

Just FYI, I had 10/1 DSL and some time ago switched to VDSL which is 50/10. The upload speed has always been just over 10 Mbps and download is close to 50 Mbps, depending on how many people are using it. I'm sure cable internet is faster than that, at least nominally, no idea what people actually get.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:  no idea what people actually get.

Most people with Rogers get at least what they pay for and usually a bit more.  For example, I pay for 75/10 and always get 95+/10.  The only people who may get a bit less than what they pay for are the people on the Gigabit plan who may get 500+, depending on location.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When switching internet from one provider to another, there is a process called "Seamless Switch" which If I am not mistaken, most providers can and will offer.

Basically, all it is, is that the New ISP you are signing up with, is given Extra information about your Existing ISP at the time of activation so they can simply contact them on your behalf and request a disconnect.

Basically it is the same as you calling your isp to disconnect when you sign up for a new internet provider but you do not speak to them, so basically if there is any questions you want to ask like for example any hidden cancellation charges or any equipment that needs to be returned, your better off calling in and asking this yourself and then putting in the cancellation request yourself. cus sometimes they may not always land on the date you wish to activate so it could leave you with an interruption in service if things go wrong

I've Been Around

Do I have a home phone modem to return if do how do I disconnect rogers and connect the new ISP modem??

Hello, @Selaws.

Thank you for joining Rogers Community Forums and for your post. It's saddening to see that you are parting ways with us. 

What services do you have with us? If you have Internet, TV and Home phone, then you have to return the Internet modem, Cable set-top boxes and the Home phone modem. I hope this helps. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin