Changing number and port out old one

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gabeluci
I Plan to Stick Around

Changing number and port out old one

I just moved from the St. Catharines area to the Kingston area. I haven't changed my number yet. I have two questions:

1. Do calls I make to the local Kingston area get charged as long distance because I have a St. Catharines phone number?

2. If I change my number, I'd like to keep my old one since I've had it so long. Is there a way I can port out that phone number and, rather than closing the account, a new Kingston number is assigned? (I have a cheap VoIP service I can port it to, mostly for forwarding texts)

This is a work phone so I'm on a corporate plan. I work in our IT dept so I know who to talk to if the admins of the corporate plan need to request something.

***Added Labels***

RogersMaude

Re: Changing number and port out old one

Good evening @gabeluci,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your contribution!

I totally understand how important a telephone number can be and I relate to your situation.

I want to help you shed some light on this and provide potential solutions, in order for you to hold on to the number you've had for a certain amount of time.

First of all, to answer your question, when you're physically in Kingston and placing a call to a Kingston telephone number, you will not be charged long distance, regardless if your telephone number is from a different local calling area or not.

When you'll be calling back to St. Catharines, when you're physically in Kingston, it will count as a long distance and same goes for incoming calls (calls made to your St. Catharines number, picked up while in Kingston).

However, most of our plans include, or can include, unlimited Canada-wide calling for a small fee. If you're covered for Canadian long distances within your price plan, you do not have to be concerned about the long distances additional charges.

In that case, your actual dilemma should be whether your employer makes it mandatory for you to change telephone number for a "local" one, now that you've moved. I am sure your contacts and acquaintances would prefer calling the same number for you.

With regards to the potential "port-out" to keep the old phone number active, it is technically not possible. If you transfer it to another service, as the VoIP one you suggested, it will generate the cancellation of the phone number with us. If that is what you prefer doing, you could then activate a new line with a telephone number that meets your employer requirements.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Hope this helps Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

gabeluci
I Plan to Stick Around

Perfect, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

gabeluci
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, I do have another question now that I think about it.

What about people who call me? If I'm in Kingston, and someone in Kingston calls me, do I get charged for a long distance incoming call because I still have a St. Catharines number?

RogersZia

Hello @gabeluci,

Great question!

If you are not physically within your incoming local calling area when you receive a call, long distance charges will apply (in your case receiving calls in Kingston with a St. Catharines number).

I would recommend to review your current plan. Like @RogersMaude mentioned above, most of our plans include Canada-wide Calling or the feature can be added for a nominal fee. Do you know what features your current plan comes with? You can view the details of your plan in MyRogers via the browser or the app. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions Robot Happy.

RogersZia

gabeluci
I Plan to Stick Around

Is there any way of changing the local calling area without changing the number?

RogersZia

Hello @gabeluci,

To be honest, the most hassle free way is to change your plan to Unlimited Canada-wide calling Robot Happy.

Did you get a chance to review your current plan details? 

If you need us to go over your current plan or review options for you please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to assist you. To learn more about our private messaging system please visit this blog.

RogersZia

gabeluci
I Plan to Stick Around

I am aware of our corporate plan. Long distance is pretty cheap. I don't think it's worth it to pay for the unlimited long distance since my usage isn't much (so far, but I haven't had a full bill since I moved).

I'll chat with my manager about it and see what he wants me to do.

RogersShaun

Hey @gabeluci,

If you do decide to make any changes, as @RogersZia mentioned, we're just a Private Message to @CommunityHelps away!

RogersShaun