Change number of seconds before going to voicemail?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Change number of seconds before going to voicemail?

Since my home phone has an answering machine, that won't work.  And I'd like to ditch it anyway.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Right... but need to find you a work around.

I mean, silly enough I can always recommend you a Bluetooth device - that way you don't miss a call and leave your phone plugged in charging.

Bluetooth Headset or Bluetooth speaker.
Dunno how much integration you want but it can essentially route audios if you know how to work with Bluetooth properly you could find this a easier solution to your trouble.
Just an idea...
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Increase OutGoing Ring Count

Is ther a way to increas the out going ring count.  Currently it is 7 rings or 40 seconds.   Some people I know cant get to the phone in that small time and have their answering machine set longer  give them time to get to the phone so it never answeres.

Is this a setting in the Android phone, a SIM card settion or a system setting.r

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @victorvdc

Thanks of reaching out to the Community Forums!

This can't be done on the caller's end, no. As whether it goes to voicemail or not is controlled by the receiver as part of their system.

As mentioned on previous posts in this thread, receiving call rings are fixed for Wireless.

Home Phone (landline) however still have an option as they are a different system using *94.

But this won't be done by you, it will be done by the folks you are referring to that you call. As they control their ring settings. Just an FYI, *94 for Home Phone is for Rogers Home Phone, as all * numbers are dependant on carriers.

Hope this sheds some light for you.

Cheers,

RogerShakir

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello, as i've mentioned on here before, on ROGERS Wireless only, the delay before the voice mail picks up is Hard Coded into the HLR switch which for 20 SECONDS/4 Rings and is a majour component of the 2G/3G/4G networks and there is No Known way for end users to change this setting. Im guessing if there is enough demand for it to be changed they *Might* be able to do somethiing about it? But you need to voice your opinion with them first.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Just a bit of history. Back in the day before network based answering services and widespread use of cell phones, there were answering machines with a cassette tape recorder. You could set the number of rings before it answered with a recording ("went to voicemail").  Four rings was the customary choice because then the caller could decide at 3 rings that the person was out or not answering, so they didn't have to pay to leave a message if they were calling long distance.  If you were on the receiving end, you could also decide between 3 and 4 rings if you wanted to answer if you had call display.  Four rings is actually a very long time.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Dear Rogers,

Please please, work on this feature.  Its ridiculas that a user can't set some paramter for how long it will take for an incomming caller to be sent to voicemail!!!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Ditch your landline and get a bluetooth compatible home phone with multiple stations as it connects to your cell phone via bluetooth. Battery drains faster on the cell, but you dont need to carry a phone around.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers now offers a way to change the # of rings before going to Rogers's voicemail answering service.  You would have to speak to Rogers to do this as it can not be done from the consumer end.  however if your using Rogers home phone and have your OWN answering machine (instead of the Rogers voicemail service), you would need to change the settings in your OWN answering machine, and Rogers can not assist you with that.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No. It's NOT an Android phone or SIM setting.
It's a ROGERS setting.....it's ARBITRARY....and it's no where NEAR 40 seconds!
It's like 15-18 seconds.

WRONG! There is NO WAY to change the number of rings on your Rogers cell phone before it goes to voicemail. PERIOD!!