Calling 611 or 911 in the USA without a US plan or US calling option

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Calling 611 or 911 in the USA without a US plan or US calling option

If you need to call 611, say AT&T support from your Rogers device while roaming in the USA, are you charged for making the call even though it's suppose to be a free star line?  And what about 911?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Calling 611 or 911 in the USA without a US plan or US calling option

Not sure about 611, but 911 should always be a free call as far as I know.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hmm

*611 and 911 are always free no matter where you are. 911 is a emergency call so they are not allowed to charge you even if you are roaming. They will see a call to 911 anyways.

As for *611 you are calling the carrier so even then its free as *611 is a free number to call. It MAY connect you to ATT but not for sure
I Plan to Stick Around

Are you certain about the 611 being free? I recall years ago....back when Rogers was called Cantel, I would get dinged for calling 611 in the USA. I was told the same regarding 911. The purpose was they didn't want people to abuse either of the two star numbers. 

I Plan to Stick Around

When roaming you should of got a text message with the rates. If your on AT&T while in USA it will still call Rogers on 611 as it's your SIM card. It's free to call your carrier no matter what.
I Plan to Stick Around

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I'm 100% sure. I have called rogers before while roaming. Here's a text I got when I arrived.
Rogers TIP: You're roaming! Get affordable roaming options or see what you already have at http://rogers.com/m/usa (no charge). Stay connected w/ roaming internet at the NEW pay-per-use rate of $7.99/50MB for 24hrs. That's approx 50maps, 200sites or 1000emails. Add'l usage within 24hrs is $7.99/50MB & billed automatically. Pay-per-use talk & txt are $1.45/min & $0.75/txt. Rates above exclude taxes. Having issues? Call +1-514-734-7699 (no charge)

If you worried then just call the # rogers provides you it says on the text it self no charge to call rogers. Also make sure to keep data roaming off if u don't want to be charged the 7.99/50MB.
Also incoming text messages are free as well as long you have a domestic texting plan.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hockey821, you are WRONG. 

This is the response I got back from Rogers: Regular roaming fees will apply to all calls made when outside Canada, however if you need to get a hold of our customer support you can reach out to us at +1-514-734-7699 which is no charge.

In otherwords, 911 and #611 or any star or pound numbers will be charged at regular roaming rates. If I wish to contact Rogers Customer Support, I can do so by calling +1-514-734-7699 which is no charge.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes that's what I said its free from that # and it tell you right there as well.. I said it may be free if you call using 611.. Plus even if you did it's easily refunded if you did call through 611 as your still calling your carrier.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

911 is a different beast though... which is why i dont beleive its charged.

on any current CANADIAN phone you dont get charged for 911 mintues.

The US, etc.. has FCC regulations.. that ANY 911 call must be put through, even if the person doesnt subscribe to that persons service.
So even though you are not an 'att&t' customer.. they must put the call through.

To expand on this... pretty much ALL cells (as far as i know), will still make an emergency call, with NO sim card, assuming you in range of ANY tower.  It connect to whatever tower you are near, period which the phone supports, and will put the call through.
How can 911 be chargeable that way, when there is nothing on the phone to be able to trace that charge back to?