COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

I'm between Napanee and Kingston. But that doesn't really matter. Just read the replies on the Xplornet and XplornetSupport twitter accounts, as well as all the parody accounts, to see that their service is garbage in lots of areas.

Ask your neighbours to see how their service is in your area before you consider Xplornet.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The other day Rogers called to tell me about their new great plan for the hubs.  The new plan is $170/month for 100gb and their overages are less than I'm paying but I'm only paying $145 for 100gb now so it's still not great.  

Here is the link for the new plans: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/mobile-internet

It still doesn't match my Telus plan of 500gb for $80/month.  Over the long weekend Telus dropped to 20mb/s which is pretty good considering it's normally under 5mb/s when the tower gets overloaded with people camping in the area.

I got an email from Rogers on May 22 touting how good they were and that they are donating $1 million to healthcare heroes.  Nice to see they are doing this, but what about some support or relief for everyone on a hub who they are hosing.  Rogers, your welcome for my involuntary donation of $367 for the first month of COVID, you'll be loosing me as a customer once COVID is over.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know which province you're in, but Rogers isn't offering that in Ontario unfortunately. The best they're offering us is $120 for 50GB.

Edit: Oh I see, you're talking about after overages. Saying it's $170 for 100GB is misleading. It's $120 for 50GB + $10 per 10GB over for the first 3 months. After 3 months it's $20 for each 10GB over, which would make it $220 for 100GB. And don't forget tax.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'd jump onto the Xplornet train around here (Northern Ontario 40km's East of Sault Ste. Marie) since I guess there's not an over saturation of users on the tower? I'm up the road from a user that had it recently installed although I'm on a ridge that blocks the tower as the tester couldn't obtain enough gain to implement the service here. I'd have taken it as him and 2 other friends that live closer to the tower are hitting their 25 Megs throughput and they use it in excess of 500 Gigs on average per month reliably. 

For now I'll await Bell's implementation of the fixed wireless from the tower out my field. Looking at the prices some people pay on here you'd definitely need a  30+ an hour job to manage those bills comfortably. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi all,

About two weeks ago Bell was able to install their fiber line to the house. Packages of various download/upload speed where available in our area, all but one were unlimited service. Signing up they knocked back half of the cost of the modem and also gave us Alt Fibre/Crave for $10 a month on top of the service level we decided on. So I moved the Rogers Hub to a part of the house that never had signal before(old farmhouse, garage, walls etc etc) and so it sits there, maybe gets 1/2 of time used a day. I actually had Rogers call me to ask how I was enjoying their service and was there anything they could do for me. I said yeah, actually I'm going to peel back on my service with you within my contract. So I'm stuck with their HUB for about $70 a month for 5G in a part of the house now till Dec. 2021. 

I'm in north York Region, Ontario. The Bell Wireless service OVERSOLD on their tower here and I hear its slow and also you can't get on(as in wait list).  My neighbours across the street had Bell at their farm within 48 hours of seeing the technician working on ours. Am the last house on this road for service until the run the cable further north.

Cheers

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So we have a new wrinkle.

Now, besides Rogers not giving wireless customers  a break on their monthly caps, they have removed the ability to view the current Usage Stats. I guess this way we won't complain until we get the bill or they did this to prevent people from limiting their own usage to keep their monthly bill at a manageable level.

What's next?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, just when I didn't think their service and "commitment" to their customers could get any worse.  I logged into my account through the website and it didn't show any usage.  I even downloaded the app on my phone and tried to see if it was a glitch, nope.  Not sure how they can charge anyone overages since we can't see how much we have used.  I made another complaint to them.  Think I'll make another to the CRTC since I think they are required to provide customers with their usage.  When is SpaceX satellite internet coming to Canada? https://financialpost.com/technology/elon-musk-spacex-canadian-telecom-licence

IMG_6955.jpg

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

When the usage stats were not available online I decided enough is enough.

I got lucky and found a unlimited service in my area (Copetown) and have been extremely happy.  

Since I cancelled my Rogers service they have called me at least 3 times every day. When I was a customer I was told it would take at least 7 days to hear back from them about the problem I was having accessing my usage stats which of course would be after my monthly cutoff date. 

I was not unhappy with the wireless internet that I had. It was support services that are extremely lacking.  Yes, it was an expensive choice but I had control over how much I wanted to spend monthly on this service being able to monitor my usage.  Once that disappeared it was over for me.

I had asked them why I was not given the option to have my usage information emailed (daily or weekly ) to me like my credit cards and banking services do.  No response.

I had asked them why there was no desktop app available to me to monitor the usage in real time.  No response.

Asked them why the stats were delayed 12 hours, not updated consistently on a daily basis at the same time and in come cases never updated for a couple of days.  No response.

As I said, I got lucky to find a local internet supplier that works for me.  Good luck to all that have no other choice.

Not sure what Rogers business plan is but if it includes getting rid on wireless internet users we must give them an "A" plus, it is working.