Buyer Beware - Buying second hand phone ended up being a stolen phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Buyer Beware - Buying second hand phone ended up being a stolen phone

Hello Gdkitty, 

Thanks for your information. But it can still be blacklisted in the future, if they report it as lost or stolen. But the funny part is that I try to inform Rogers by talking to customer representative that the phone with this IMEI is being sold today. They don't seem to care at all. They did not even care to take note on preventing them from getting scammed later. All I am being told, I am not protected if I am not purchasing a phone from them !!!!

I have no idea why the company can prevent a scam and they choose not to do so. Allow people is taking advantage of "handset protection insurance" !!!

Any idea guys? Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You might have just got a bad rep.. one who doesnt care, etc...

If all it would take is to report an IMEI number.. regardless of if its on your account or not, etc.. then lets say for example..
you are at my house, and i let you use my phone for a minute.. and while you have it you record my IMEI number down... you could call in and report it as stolen, and kill my phone from being used then.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello 

Do you have any hints, what I can do now from preventhing this to happen?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do understand what you are saying.

But what i am trying to say.. is that that person, must still have it on their account, or be the last one that was on their account to do so.
Once that phone was actually sold.. and put on another account.. they SHOULDNT be able to report it as stolen.. as it has now been added to anothers account already... no longer theirs to report as stolen.

If you have only called in once though.. i would try calling in again... or contact the reps via facebook or Twitter.. they are really good at getting things done.
Others have called in before and have them take note of things... could just be a bad rep you got.

Only thing i can see.. is that if its not YOU selling it.. the other person is.. that you cant report the sale, etc.. since its on THEIR account currently

Best i can sugest, is try and call in and talk to someone else.

(One reason i have never bought nor never will a 2nd hand phone, unless its from a family member, etc.. as i dont trust OTHER people Smiley Tongue)

Rogers Employee EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee

I agree with GDkitty here, remember when people have phones replaced through the Insurance company Rogers uses for their device protection, the insurance company blacklists the IMEI of the old device. However sometimes i have seen this is not the case and the person who originally reports their phone lost, sells the device without informing the buyer it is blacklisted. What i recommend, is anytime you are buying a phone from anyone, call into rogers and confirm the IMEI is from the person who originally bought the device. If its not that person, when i wouldn't recommend buying it. Sometimes the price seems too good to be true. You can also check the webpage posted earlier in this thread.

Additionally when you do buy a phone not from your carrier, you are taking that responsibility that your phone may have been originally stolen. If it is and it gets taken by the police, all i can say is protect yourself, and always ask for the IMEI, take a screen shot, with another device or camera. If you do not know how to check the IMEI go to the dialing screen of said device and type *#06# and it displays the device IMEI.

Rogers will check it, and if its reported as blacklisted they will let you know. This would save alot of customer grief. Also please don't be angry with your carrier if this happens to you, because in the end, its your responsibility to make sure your protecting yourself. I know it would be a real pain to try and register a stolen device. Be lucky you were not charged, the police have something in the criminal code stating something like Possession is the same as theft. So i am happy nothing happened to you. 

This happens way too often on sites that i will not mention. You all know who i mean

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Actually.. unfortunately a phone can be blacklisted from any account that has it showing as used within the past 90 days despite it being used on another account. This means that a phone can be reported as lost/stolen within 3 months and still blacklisted from the account it was used on last.

This makes the blacklist a bit of a double edged sword, and really increases the risk of buying from third party sellers. Someone can effectively sell their phone, and report it lost/stolen within a 3 month window. Granted, the cellular insurance company may have their own timeline restrictions.

Hope this helps.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

EhmTeeEhf:

In response to:
What i recommend, is anytime you are buying a phone from anyone, call into rogers and confirm the IMEI is from the person who originally bought the device. If its not that person, when i wouldn't recommend buying it.

You would have to call in with the seller with you... Rogers or ANY company can not release personal details about a person... so with that said you can not call in and give an agent the phone # and ask who owns the account...

Just a heads up... other wise great info!
I've Been Here Awhile

jkroesen is totally right

You can't call into Rogers to ask who is the original of the phone, Rogers won't release this information to you unless, the actual owner is with you to call. 

Thank you for the information guys.

I am in worried right now, I dont  get the purpose of handset protection plan. It seems like people is taking advantage of this and Rogers doesn't seem to care to prevent it to happen. 

I dont think I will be charged, because I have the proof of purchase from Ebay, stating that I bought it, not stole it. I just dont want in next 3 or 4 months, my phone becomes a brick.

Thanks again

Rogers Employee EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee

True, you would need the seller to be there, or they could send you a video with the imei recorded and displaying on the phone, that way you would know its actually the device your buying. I have seen this done many times on Ebay to prevent the person buying it from getting a different phone. WHen i bought my Iphone 4S from a woman in quebec, i asked her to record a video with the IMEI displaying, and i was up front saying i wanted a Proof of Purchase sent to me with the phone in her handwriting stating i am buying the phone and she is selling a phone to me. She was kind of hesitant but i educated her about the potential issues and she was in total agreement. She did this, i contacted rogers, they added it to my account, i faxed in the P.O.P (proof of purchase) and immediately they put it on my account and i haven't had one issue.

I do understand its an inconvience to people but hey i am spending my hard earned money. So I went the extra mile because of all of these issues i have heard of and seen before.

I regards to the disclosure yes your right, but when you do what i did above, there is no risk. Also i had my ebay and paypal purchase agreement to back me. I also paid by credit card so if anything fishy happened i would contact my credit card company and advise them, i did alot of research. They would stop the payment. Simple and protected.

I've Been Here Awhile

So I'm curious. Someone is selling an s6 edge and locked to rogers. I told him I can pay cash but I need original proof of purchase. We would meet at rogers store and check the phone. I also need a new nano Sim. Doing all this my phone can still be blacklisted? How can I leave a trail if I pay cash?