Block incoming texts while roaming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Block incoming texts while roaming?

Hello, @sdsadd

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I appreciate posting your query in the Community. You shall not incur any charges to receive text messages while travelling if you plan includes text messaging. For more details please see the Solution post of this thread. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

$7 Charge when a text comes to my phone in a foreign country

Highlighted

Good day @Stuntman,

Thanks for posting your inquiry and welcome to the Community!

I can imagine how unpleasant it must be to receive an invoice that is higher than expected, when returning home from a trip.

For $7 per day in the U.S. and $12 per day in over 125 eligible international destinations, you get full access to the data, talk and text included in your monthly plan.

If you were travelling to a destination that's not covered by Roam Like Home, you would have been subject to our Pay-Per-Use rates.

Pertaining to text message usage in particular, there should be no charge to receive a SMS if you're covered for them in your regular plan.

An outgoing message that you would send from abroad (while not covered by RLH or travel pack) would be $0.75/ text message.

An SMS text consists of 160 characters. Messages over 160 characters are counted as additional texts. Excludes premium messages (alerts, messages related to content and promotions).

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I received three incoming texts on three separate days on my phone in the US. I didn’t even open them, they just appeared. Because of this, I was charged an additional $21 on my monthly bill ie $7 per day roam like home fee X 3 days.

Doesn’t seem fair to me, and seems like a bit of a cash grab in my opinion. Comments please
Highlighted

Thank you for your reply @Stuntman!

You’re only charged on days you use your device.

This means that the daily fee will only be generated if you are making/receiving a call, sending a text message or use data transmissions.

There are no fees to receive SMS.

Was your data roaming turned off in the network settings of your phone?

If it was on, your device may have connected to the local carrier and therefore triggered the Roam Like Home charge.

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

My data roaming is turned off. Roger is still charge me $21 extra. Even when I talk to them. Doesn’t seem fair to me
Highlighted

Hello @Stuntman,

Roaming charges are never fun to deal with especially if you are certain that your data roaming was turned off the entire time.

We'll need to pull up your account information in order to take a look at this for you. Please send a private message to any of the Forum Moderators or to @CommunityHelps and we can get started. Please Click Here if you are not familiar with our private messaging system.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi,
I am in Asia and i have share everything plan with RLH option. I need to receive a text message from my bank. I won’t be calling or sending any text. If i turn off Data Roaming, will the incoming text be free ? or will i be charged 12$ ?
Thanks for your help,
Highlighted

Welcome to the Community @shamica,

The Roam Like Home charge is triggered only when you make or receive a phone call, send an SMS/MMS (incoming is free), or use data i.e. browse, maps or an application.

If your plan includes incoming text messages you will not be billed. Incoming texts messages are 25¢ per Received Text/Picture Message without a roaming or domestic text plan or add-on. 

Have a great rest of your trip!

RogersZia