Block incoming texts while roaming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Block incoming texts while roaming?

Hey @libra1237,

Thank you for your post & Thanks for bringing this up to our attention!

I understand how imperative it is to have the ability to control your device's connections while travelling.

I am also aware that things may have changed since we last posted.

Please try the following steps, to turn off Cellular Data and/or Data Roaming:

• Open Settings and tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data.
  • Then tap Cellular Data Options and turn off Cellular Data and Data Roaming.

For more information, visit this page.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersMaude

Very fancy word "primordial" you used there.  I had to look it up as vocabulary is not one of my strong points.

So basically, you are saying, there is also the basic original way of avoiding costs of roaming by turning off not just data roaming, but also all roaming, or go to airplane mode.

The other simple way of avoiding is as you said, received texts are free, and if data roaming is turned off, MMS pictures will not come through which do have a cost, and just don't send any texts.

I find informative this ongoing discussion of roaming - it has been a nervous concept for many people, and often I know I don't understand how the billing works on lots of things and need to ask, so appreciate the clarification.

There are many options available now, including the way I have done it for years - just don't use the phone, and am glad that unlike in the primordial period (neat word), we could turn our phone on and get charged for a batch of texts that we didn't know were sitting there waiting for us to turn our phone on.

At least now, they are free, so one less worry.

Thanks for the clarification and a new word in my limited vocabulary.  Smiley Happy

Bruce

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Incoming texts while roaming

This original posting is a couple of years old now so I just wanted to get an updated confirmation that if a Rogers Plan includes free incoming text messages in Canada there is no charge for incoming text messages when travelling/roaming in the US or internationally, even if a travel pack is not purchased.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi @rjmatheson,

Welcome to the Community :)!

It's a good idea to clarify before seeing any unexpected charges on the invoice. The incoming text messages included in a plan are only valid in Canada. There is a 25¢ charge per received text/picture message without a roaming or domestic text plan or add-on.

For more information on roaming outside of Canada,  please visit  here

Hope this helps.

RogersZia

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersZia  Thanks for the clarification, I always was of the understanding that received texts were not billed.  I have an add-on (no longer available) that provides for unlimited received international texts, and have never used roam like home, so I was speaking from my knowledge of my plan and had forgotten.  So you are right, you are charged for incoming texts in the US and if you don't have the Roam Like Home, or a text plan add on (I am primordial Smiley Wink in my understanding of text costs, text plans, versus the new models of pay per use received in the US, or the Roam like home models.  Primordial based upon my knowledge and experience of getting a plan to avoid it.  So in answer to the earlier question, 

" updated confirmation that if a Rogers Plan includes free incoming text messages in Canada there is no charge for incoming text messages when travelling/roaming in the US or internationally, even if a travel pack is not purchased"

Incorrect - there will be the charge as described by @RogersZia .  If you see in the earlier posts, some people got caught in this change over when Roam like Home was implemented and related to the new Share everything plans generally without add-ons, people got caught by surprise by the 5.00 charge when we weren't charged before if we had a text add-on.  Times and plans change constantly when you are with all the companies, and the best place to get those answers is actually by having a representative review your account.

As you see, in my plan situation, I don't get charged, I turn off roam like home "unenroll' by calling in, and would turn it on if I needed it. (i.e., emergency outside my normal travelling and phoning packages).

By asking all your questions and putting forward your understandings, while holding your own bill in your hands, you can ask a rep, and keep in mind they may not have a history of old plan models, so may be completely unaware of how your plan applies to you.  So do some searching and see how things operated on your old plans.

None of us know your details of your plan at this time (and shouldn't as that is a discussion related to looking at your account to give you the correct answer), so anything we say could be wrong if we are talking about two completely different situations.

This is a good place to start a discussion on interpretations, along with your bill and Google searches, but in the end, ask a CSR and cover all your questions in detail to avoid surprises.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Travel to USA and incoming text messages cost

I am going to the states for a few days and was wondering if there are any charges for incoming text messages. I recall that there wasn't any in the past but recently read that it is now .25 cents per text received. When did this change? I do not plan on using the phone while there but need to keep it on for emergencies. My text in canada includes incoming messages. Thx.  

Highlighted

Good day @Boneca,

Thanks for your post!

Verifying before traveling is definitely the right thing to do if you do not want to have a surprise when your next invoice comes in.

Good news! If you're covered for text messages while in Canada, it will be the same while you're physically in the States. You will only be charged for incoming text while roaming if you don't have an option at all.

For more info on the rates and travel packs available, visit www.rogers.com/travel!

Enjoy your trip & Safe travels Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hello

I wanted an update for 2018. Is it still free to receive SMS while roaming on my phone? I do not have any roaming plan but I have unlimited SMS in Canada.

Highlighted

Hello & Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums @bobboucher3,

That's a good question! To avoid an unexpected bill, it's wise to look up the charges before use. Incoming texts messages are 25¢ per Received Text/Picture Message without a roaming or domestic text plan or add-on. 

Hope this helps~

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Around

hi!

Could you please confirm that as of June 25, 2018, incoming text messages received in the United States will be free of charge if my plan with Rogers included unlimited texts in Canada, even if I don't use Roam Like Home.

I got different answers from your representatives over the phone and on your chat. Thanks a lot for your clarifications.