Block incoming texts while roaming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Block incoming texts while roaming?

I will be travelling to Cuba next week. I will be bringing my cell phone in case of emergencies, but do not plan to get any sort of temporary long distance plan as I will not be using it more than a couple times for brief check in calls. 

Based on what I've seen, it appears Rogers charges for outgoing as well as incoming texts while roaming. Is this correct? My question is, is there any way to block receiving text messages? Or even block phone numbers from texting me? (I see you can block them from calling, but I can't seem to find any way to block texts?). 

I really want to avoid receiving any texts from people who may not realize I'm roaming, and send me multiple messages at a time. 

**Edited Labels**

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Block incoming texts while roaming?

Good evening @KellyL1007,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!

I would love to help you shed some light on how roaming charges are billed.

If your plan includes text messaging while in Canada, you will not incur any charges to receive text messages while travelling. If you plan on using your phone to send text messages, and you don't have a travel pack, they would be charged at $0.75 each. The airtime is billed at $3/minute, for either incoming and outgoing calls.

Keep in mind that you can take advantage of Roam Like Home if you currently have a Share Everything plan.

The charge is $1000/day  (Max 10 days per monthly bill). It provides you with :

• Unlimited calling to Canadian numbers and to local numbers in the eligible country you're visiting. 
  • Unlimited messaging to Canadian numbers and to local numbers in the eligible country you're visiting. 
  • Data from your Share Everything plan.

It is primordial that you turn off "Data Roaming", in the network settings of your phone, if you want to avoid being charged any fees.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you! So just to clarify, I do have an unlimited text plan on my phone in Canada. So while travelling, any texts I RECEIVE will not be billed? And any I SEND will be 0.75 each? 

You are very welcome Smiley Wink

That is correct! If you currently have text messages included in your plan  while on the Rogers Network, you will only be charged for the ones you send while abroad.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions.

If you feel the need to use your phone a little more than expected, it is ideal that you add a travel pack, or that you enroll to Roam Like Home.

Take care and have a safe trip! 

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

I currently have a share everything plan and Roam like home on my account. If I go to the US and have my data roaming off, but receive a text message, will I be charged the $5/day?
Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jenccyang,

Thank you for your patience and welcome to the Community Forums!Smiley Happy

I understand you're on a share everything plan with Roam Like Home™ and would like to know if you will be charged the $5/day for incoming text messages while in the U.S. The answer is no, you're only charged the $5/day in the U.S. on days you use your device to make/receive a call, send a text message or use data. For more information on Roam Like Home™ click here to check out our FAQ's.

Thanks,
RogersArthur

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for clarifying! This actually happened to me when I first switched over to the Share Everything plan. I called in to inquire about the $5 extra charge and the representative said I was charged for incoming texts in the US on the new plan while roaming. This didn't sound right to me at the time since  Iwas never charged for incoming text in the US before, but I didn't question further.

I've Been Here Awhile

Does the same applies for the roam like home in Europe? Can I receive incoming text With no charge?
Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @cececececilia

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

Yup, the same works for Roam Like Home when travelling in Europe, there would be no charge for incoming texts.

@RogersPrasana

I've Been Here Awhile

RogersMaude wrote:

Good evening @KellyL1007,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!

I would love to help you shed some light on how roaming charges are billed.

If your plan includes text messaging while in Canada, you will not incur any charges to receive text messages while travelling. If you plan on using your phone to send text messages, and you don't have a travel pack, they would be charged at $0.75 each. The airtime is billed at $3/minute, for either incoming and outgoing calls.

Keep in mind that you can take advantage of Roam Like Home if you currently have a Share Everything plan.

The charge is $1000/day  (Max 10 days per monthly bill). It provides you with :

• Unlimited calling to Canadian numbers and to local numbers in the eligible country you're visiting. 
  • Unlimited messaging to Canadian numbers and to local numbers in the eligible country you're visiting. 
  • Data from your Share Everything plan.

It is primordial that you turn off "Data Roaming", in the network settings of your phone, if you want to avoid being charged any fees.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

In Settings on my iPhone there isn't any option called 'network settings' in which I can off Data Roaming. It must be somewhere else or named differently