Beware of $25 charge for pre-authorized credit cards

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Beware of $25 charge for pre-authorized credit cards

For convenience I setup a pre-authorized credit card to pay my bill.  I thought this was a great option to pay my rogers bill without hassles.  I have been doing this for a couple of years.  

However after reviewing my bills this year, I discovered two $25 charges on two separate bills.  After I called rogers, they told me these were "Returned Payment Charges" because my credit cards didn't go through.  What happened was that my credit card number changed because the credit card company gave me new cards with new numbers because somebody had fraudulently obtained my numbers.  The old credit card numbers that Rogers had were no longer valid.

After Rogers informed me, I did change my credit card number with them but I didn't expect to see a $25 charge.  This is outrageous as this is significantly more than the amount they charge if you miss paying your bill.  I immediately removed pre-authorized payments once I found out.

Beware.  Don't sign up for pre-authorized payments as they can easily charge you $25 if you forget to update your credit card number or expiry date.

I hope this helps someone avoid paying the unnecessary $25 fees.

***Edited Labels***

Re: Beware of $25 charge for pre-authorized credit cards

Hello, @iwantmyiphone4

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Thank you for sharing your experience. Smiley Happy

I can relate to your experience as I’ve many products on pre-authorized credit card payments and usually I’ll get notified of the nearing expiration date. For any reason if I forget to update the credit card then I know I’ll be charged for Returned Payment.

Thank you for the reminder!

Inviting @jkroesen to share the expertise on this topic. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the forewarning.

I am a new customer with Rogers due to us moving to a new home. Thus far, I have only one thing to say. The quality of the customer service this company offers is atrocious - I am appalled at how hard it is to talk to someone who is actually willing to help you.

I don't think this has anything to do with the individuals who work for Rogers. Rather, I think this is some kind of company policy designed to alienate customers and make them feel powerless. Sadly, like so many other customers, I am obligated to their services if I desire triple-play services as no other providers have service in my area. You hear that Bell Aliant?

All jokes aside, this forum is probably the best place to get any serious help... nevermind 1888ROGERS1 lol

I'm a Senior Advisor

@iwantmyiphone4 pre-authorized credit card payments are always risky because you just forget about them and whenever your card gets renewed, or replaced because it got hacked, you're in trouble.  It only happened to me once when I had my CAA on automatic renewal, but they're not as mercenary as Rogers and called me instead of fining me. Any automatic payments I have are by pre-authorized chequing, but I guess everyone's financial situation is different and you may not always have a bank balance that's in the black. But I agree, charging a customer $25 because their credit card was renewed is downright thievery.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

That fee is only applied when the credit card is declined multiple times.. What happens is the system will keep attempting pmt on the card each week. Once it's been declined up to 5 x then the charge occurs...

Its Very important to contact companys when you have a issue with your credit card when you have a pre-auth set up.  

I also know that Rogers does start to call on the 1st decline to try to resolve and avoid the charge... As well send out notices by email/mail that there is an issue with the card...

Also wanted to mention that This DOESN'T apply to Quebec! Lucky for you all you have BIll 60 protection 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i dont necessarily agree that its right..

Its about par for the course with well.. anywhere. Rogers, or otherwise.  Even your bank.
Many places / services will charge you for 'failed' payments. 
You write a cheque, and you dont have sufficient funds, when withdrawn, your bank charges you usually a $25(ish) fee for insufficient funds.

It is kind of stupid though.. you dont have the money for the cheque.. how do you have money for the fee??

In these cases.. there shouldnt be a CHARGE/FEE like this.

If anything.. it should just FAIL.. it didnt go through?  They contact you letting you know, so you can update payment info, etc.  Worse case is, since the payment didnt go through, ok, your payment didnt renew... so maybe the phone gets shut off (on prepaid..no minutes added, etc), but no additional charges.

It's a tough call  that boils down to time is money  and having money in a prearranged account or cheque format is a commitment that you agreed to and are responsible for. While 95 % of us are honest and feel slighted by being penalized to this extent (especially when we don't get a credit when the Company screws up and wastes our(the customers) time) I think the penalty is for the 5 % of the population that continually abuse these conveniences and it is intended as a deterrent  against future infractions .... sounds like it works 

Aren't bounced cheques about  $45 ?   

Barndoor: Depends on your bank and the type of bank account you have...

Most banks are $25-$45 ...

If there wasn't a fee then people wouldn't think twice about it... I agree there should be a fee but maybe just not as high... and of course the 1st time a fee like that occurs... I believe it should be waived... the customer made aware of it then going forward if that customer repeats the same again they have done it and were well aware of the risk. Other wise it would be very hard to get garentee payment...

There is time that a company puts into these returned payments -

Ie: 1st they process the pmt - then they have to go and reverse the pmt- following that the time to contact a client about the pmt...

Again i don't' agree maybe with the amount but there has to be something in place so people don't take advantage
I'm Here A Lot

I believe that as long as the bill is paid for in time, no penalties should be levied. Whether or not the payment was preauthorized.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Having a failed pre-auth credit card is not nearly the same as a bounced cheque.  The credit card companies respond immediately when a card is declined and the process is fully automated.  There is no cost to Rogers to attempt to charge the card and the notification to the customer is also automated.  Same goes for any online retailer that accepts credit cards.

I had a half-dozen companies setup with pre-authorization for the same credit card including Shaw.  Once the card numbers changed, all of them notified me but only one of them charged me a large fee:  Rogers.

Rogers was the ONLY one to charge a fee for this.

A late payment charge is acceptable (and Rogers did this also) but charging $25 on top of that is ridiculous.

Again, don't setup pre-authorization.  If you miss paying your bill manually, you only receive a late payment charge (like $2) and rogers will notify you as well.  The risk of being charged $25 is not worth it for pre-authorization.