Bad business practise and poor customer service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Bad business practise and poor customer service

I wonder if someone has been in a similar situation and can help me calm my nerves.  I am a little panicking due to incorrect charges that could most likely affect my credit score.  I plan to wait a few days and request a credit check...

It all started with me calling Rogers to cancel my service.  I was told that the service would cancel last day of my billing cycle (and it did).  Then I received a bill for the next month when I had no service.  All the equipment was returned on time, and within couple days of the service ending.

I called Rogers and the rep told me that since the bill went to print before my service was cancelled, I was charged for the next month.  He assured me that the charges would be reversed on the next bill.  I waited a month and called Rogers again since I hadn't received the next bill.  The rep first couldn't find the previous rep's credit that was applied to the account.  She put me on hold for a few minutes and eventually came back and said to wait couple days and I should see a credit on account.

Today I logged in, and the credit was applied; HOWEVER I was charged a late fee for the last bill (for the month where I had no service and wasn't suppose to be charged to begin with).  Now I wonder if the "missed" payment was reported for credit reporting.  I called Rogers and the rep was confused at first and then understood the issue.  He assured that it wouldn't have been reported, but I am reading otherwise when googling other people's experience. I hope my score doesn't take a hit because of Roger's mess up 😞 

The rep said he reversed the late fee, but I think I will just pay it...rather than end up in a cycle of late fee charges.  Really poorly designed billing system that can mess up people's credit history.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Bad business practise and poor customer service

Good evening @Mevakesh & @jays77 ,

I just wanted to add my input on our Reporting to the Credit Bureau policy. Most of the information provided by @jkroesen is correct.

Why does Rogers report to the credit bureau? 

• We do this mainly because it improves the fraud database of the credit bureau we use for new credit applications.
  • And reporting to the credit bureau is a common practice for many corporations, banks, utility companies and department stores.
  • It can also motivate our customers to pay their bills in full and on time, in order to have a good credit rating.

The reporting is made on the person who is financially liable for the account (ie. the account holder). Regular Consumers accounts that are open, suspended or cancelled are reported to the credit bureaus.

What is Reported:  

• Outstanding balance
  • Payment
  • Delinquency level 
  • Cancellation reason - voluntary or involuntary, fraud, activated in error, buyer’s remorse or under dispute
  • Activation, cancellation and last delinquency dates
  • Agency assignment
  • Bankruptcy and Credit Counselling
  • Identification information such as : name, address, SIN, date of birth & phone number

Reports are sent to the following bureaus: Trans Union & Equifax. The accounts are reported monthly after each billing cycle.

• Current and delinquent balances are reported.
    • Zero and credit balances (reported as $0) are reported.

The reporting begins on the first bill cycle after the account activation and the last report will state that the account is closed and paid with a $0 balance.

We do not send formal notifications to our customers regarding reporting to the Credit Bureau. The Terms & Conditions indicates that Rogers may provide information to others about a customer’s credit experience with us.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The credit buro is updated about outstanding balances after your billing cyc ends every month... If it reports a DELQ bal and you get credit then the credit buro will also be notified of that and any negative impact is removed... Smiley Wink

I'd also call have late fee reversed due to having your receipt for the eqp return.... 

Once the credit is applied corrections will be made to your credit! 

I also want to note that balances under 50.00 are NOT reported to credit Buro....  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hi Mevakesh,

I'm very sorry you've had a poor experience.

If the account was supposed to have been cancelled for that period, the Late Fee may not be valid. Those are charges provisioned by our billing system.

If you feel that it should be credited, then you can certainly call in to Care and see what can be done?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks...good to know that negative impact is removed when notified about credit.

I am more concerned about the extra monthly charge (over $100) being reported, not the late fee/charge which is less than $3.  Rogers would have forwarded the balance owed at month end since it was still unpaid on their system after due date (hence the late fee).  

I've always paid every single bill (Rogers or any other) on time, and this screw up sucks.  I just hope the way they handle billing charges is improved, because customers shouldn't have to be in this situation.  I had called twice, and both times Rogers employees said not to pay and wait for reversal.  Anyways, good to know that credit to account gets reported too...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi BAppel,

Your social media team is better....it now shows a credit being applied on account.  This is how it should have been handled in the first place when I called twice last month.  Instead, both times the call centre employees told me that the system will show a credit on next bill and to just wait for it.  However, your system flagged my account as unpaid when the due date passed (and charged late fee).  So I'm just not sure if that would have also triggered being reported to credit bureau.  Its not fair for customers credit rating to mess up due to Rogers screw up.  Anyways, I will wait a month and see the report.  Thanks for your response...

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Thank you for your patience; I'm certainly glad that things seem to be handled to your satisfaction.

If you notice any discrepancies, please share it with the forum, or with Care.

Thanks again for posting here and allowing me and the other folks here to be able to answer your inquiries.
Highlighted

I'm curious. Maybe someone can answer this. Does Rogers always send an late/unpaid bill to collections and is it always a mark on your credit rating.

I can't think of another company that would not first send you a reminder that  your payment has not been received and give you a chance to pay it,, especially if you have a record of on time payment.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats been my thinking durring all this.

THere is one time i missed paying my bill.. was away, completely forgot, etc..  like two weeks after it was due, i got a notification that HEY YOU HAVE TO PAY THIS.
I dont know if anything was ever sent to the credit beaureau.. my credit rating is pretty much perfect, so if it did, was very little impact.

I wouldnt think that they would do anything UNTIL it went to collections.  At that point, its definately reported, and has a BIG impact.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I'm thinking the same thing, Gdkitty.

My expertise is not in Billing, or Credit Ops, so don't take what I say as Rogers policy, however my understanding is that until your account is written off, your credit isn't affected.

Your credit with Rogers, on the other hand, is affected from the moment you miss a payment. However, that doesn't affect anything beyond our Internal system.

Highlighted

From what I know.... Late bal over $50.00 and late more then 30days are reported... Not as a hit but just as a late payment... 

a bad debt mark isn't given... But the late is reported... 

If you are always late 30days or more then it will impact your score... if its a random late every once in a while it shouldn't hurt your scored at all...   I only know due a a couple months hardship i had... were i fell past due for a few months.. guess what.. it re

This is right from service terms and conditions: 

If payment of an amount due on your account is not received by us by the Required Payment Date specified by us, it will be considered a delinquent amount and will be subject to a late payment charge of 2% per month, calculated and compounded monthly on the delinquent amount (26.82% per year) from the date of the first invoice on which the delinquent amount appears until the date we receive such amount in full. You agree that we can charge any unpaid and outstanding amount, including any late payment charges, on your account to your credit card, bank account or any other payment method pre-authorized by you for payment of our charges

***You authorize Rogers to obtain information about your credit history and agree that Rogers may provide information to others about your credit experience with Rogers***

http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/About/TOS_En.pdf     <- serv terms and condition link