cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Process

Garth2
I've been here awhile

Private Information

In requesting support from a chat agent, I was asked to provide my date of birth.   As a matter of principle, I refused to do so and was denied service.  I offered to provide other identification such as my account number but the agent insisted on DOB.

* Edited title and labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Authentication Process

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On some services, the do ask for other information like that which they have, to help validate your account.
They should have been able to ask for a different thing, like your account PIN, etc. though.

Biggest reason why they need this other information.. is that just ANYONE could get your account number.  If you still get a mailed bill.. I could go and steal your mail.. get the account number, then have access to your account if thats all they needed.

One reason I dont necessarily like the live chat, etc.. that I am not SENDING that information across the PC (where yes could potentially be keylogged, etc).
At least over the phone, less likely to be intercepted.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On some services, the do ask for other information like that which they have, to help validate your account.
They should have been able to ask for a different thing, like your account PIN, etc. though.

Biggest reason why they need this other information.. is that just ANYONE could get your account number.  If you still get a mailed bill.. I could go and steal your mail.. get the account number, then have access to your account if thats all they needed.

One reason I dont necessarily like the live chat, etc.. that I am not SENDING that information across the PC (where yes could potentially be keylogged, etc).
At least over the phone, less likely to be intercepted.

Babylegs1
I plan to stick around
DOB is for wireless verification, just give it and be done with it! It’s for your own protection of your account!!

DOB for wireless verification? And protection of my account? 

They can verify with so many things, why DOB? I don't recall giving my DOB to Rogers!!

I am going to make a complain. 

jf18
I've been around

After 30 minutes of waiting followed by hi how are you, are you having a good day, may I call you by your first name, etc. I filled out the form and I was told that my birthdate did not match what was on file and goodbye.  When I look in my profile, I see nothing about my birthdate, so I wonder if it is possible that it is a data entry error at their end.  Now I have to call them or go to a store and present 2 pieces of ID.  

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation