After 5 months Rogers still wont bury their cable line

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

After 5 months Rogers still wont bury their cable line

I have been calling rogers since May 2014 to bury the line outside that they ran from the box through my neighbours trees then to the side of my house. Not only is it a visual nuisance but I have been constantly telling them to bury this line before winter hits. Well look, now its starting to snow. If the tree branches break off again like they did last year in the ice storm that line is going to get damaged and fall onto my neighbours property. I have been constantly told they will put in a notice to the "bury deptartment", nothing has come about from this.

Now lord knows they aren't going to do any work in the winter so I have to sit here and wait till winter ends and pray to some god that the line doesnt fall off the tree into my neighbours drive way. And if that happens what is rogers going to do? What if someones car is parked there and it falls on their car? Are they gunna pay for damages, because I sure as heck. am not. You guys have disappointed me to the point where I am thinking of canceling and just having that line compeltely removed off my of property. This lack of service has gotten on my last nerve.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I spoke to a Rogers rep in August who lied and said she would put another work order in for the bury department. Found out she was lying because when I called back last month the rep told me that no order had been placed. Why hire employees that are going to blatantly lie about doing something on the phone?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: After 5 months Rogers still wont bury their cable line

Unfortunately this is a user to user forum, so none of us here can really help other than offereing any sugestions, etc.

Yeah... with the weather being bad, etc.. they are not going to do it now, until the spring at the earliest 😞

If there are any issues with the line over the winter.. sagging, etc.  Call in to the regular tech support, and have them come and re-do the line if they need to.. once every two weeks if need be.

I had a similar thing 2 years ago.  There was an ongoing issue on the street, and the manager who had been out oh, 20 times to our locations, put up a new line, and had put the order in to have it burried.. but it disapeared. 😕
Went over winter.. had them replace the line twice.

Come spring, found out that there was the no order for the burry.

Again not much you can do now.. but i do urge you to PRESSURE them.  Ask to actually talk to the cable bury department.
I was able to get specifically to someone there.  They handled my issue.. and had it arraged to be burried.

(there was another issue.. where the 3rd party company that they use in my area.. DIDNT do the bury, just connected the old one back, and billed rogers FOR a bury.... but thats another issue 😛  Had that dealt with, and got someone at the 3rd party company fired over it, when the manager from the 3rd party company came out to inspect what wasnt done)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Perhaps you would have got some action if you'd run over the cable with your lawn mower in the summer. Smiley Tongue

Sorry nobody here can help, but at the bottom of the page there are at least three ways to contact Rogers directly. Rodents have been know to tunnel under the snow and chew stuff up.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just wanted to update this so that people can see and understand the type of service Rogers is providing to customers.

If you read the original post you can see that I mentioned I wanted it buried before winter due to concerns about the ice storm that happened in the previous years This week the city rolled out to cut down the branches off of all the trees in the area in hopes to avoid another disaster that was caused last year by the ice storm. In doing so the city cut the line that was running from the box to my house. I called Rogers to complain and mentioned the fact that I have been nagging them about this since April. I was now out of internet, cable, and home phone for the remainder of day and night. A tech came by the next morning to re-attach the line that was cut, he ran it the same way and wrapped it around the tree stub which then ran back to my house. I knew this was trouble and I told him about it. He failed to acknowledge my concerns.

The very next day the city came around again to finally cut the whole tree down to the very bottom of the stub. In doing so, once again, they cut the line running to my house. Again I was out of internet, tv, and home phone. I got on the line with a manager who seemed genuinely concerned about my issue and told me he would contact the senior technicians to see what they can do about my issue. He mentioned a more permanent solution even though they would not be able to bury the line. I was able to secure a discount from a lovely lady working in the billing department due to my prolonged issues and the manager said a tech would be at my house first thing in the morning on Jan 1st. 

I came home later this evening to find out that a more permanent solution meant to reattach the original line that was running from the box to my house. The same line that has been there for over 20 years, the same line that was causing the initial problems. You know, the same line that was the sole reason of having a new line ran from the box to my house. How they thought I wouldn't notice this is beyond me, infact why they even came to that conclusion boggles my mind. Instead of trying to find a new way to run a line they decided to reconnect the line that caused my internet to disconnect every few minutes for prolonged periods of time.

I promptly called rogers and explained the situation once again. I need to point out that I was put on the line with a tech named BRIAN. This man was EXTREMELY rude and condescending. He spoke to me as if he thought I had no clue what I was talking about. As a computer engineer and programmer I am well aware of how to find out line signal and its diagnostics. He continually told me that my line was perfect on his end and that I was not able to see the same information that he was able to see, a goof ball if I ever heard one. After being told that no tech would come out to see me because "my line was perfect" I got fed up and asked to be transfered to a manager.

Someone else picked up the line and told me the managerial department was closed and that I would have to call back in the morning. I will do so at 8-9am in the morning and keep this thread updated, I am not looking for help from anyone here in the community. Only to spread my personal experience with rogers in hopes that others can become more aware. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. the normal regular tech, etc run around..

(and sounds like you got the same issue as me where they re-attached the old line instead of burying..)

PRESSURE to talk to the cable bury department. (it DOES exist)

Can they do/set up the bury now?  Possibly not.
BUT.. at least with them you could more lock down a DATE etc for when they can/will be doing it.

Unfortunately, the regular techs, cant/are not allowd to do the burrials, etc... not sure why not..

(its not like they do drilling/boring under the ground, etc).

Hopefully you can get some sort of resolution..

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I made a huge mistake in implying that there was no new line ran to my house.  I now regret making the phone call last night and complaining about that issue. I filled out a survey through email today about how i felt my service was, in that survey I mentioned the technician not putting up a new line.

I received a phone call later today from a rogers rep who wanted to speak to me about my concerns that I made in the survey. He told me the tech said that he had put a new line and put a work order for a burial in April, I said I did not see any line there. I opted to check outside during daylight to make sure that what I said was true. In doing so I noticed that they had indeed ran a line but that it was running across the whole length of my neighbours driveway and was being held up by a bush (not tree) with pretty small and light branches. I am aware that there may not be no other option in running a line. I do not like the idea of having a line thats running to my house be a nuisance to my neighbours. Its a ugly sight and it runs directly over their cars and infront of their doorway. Most importantly it does not appear to be safe, if for some reason that tree branch breaks due to ice or any other reason the cable line will fall onto my neighbours vehicles. Which at that point I guarantee I will be taking the fall for.

While I have to say, I am satisfied to know that my initial thoughts and beliefs were not true, I am also disappointed. Firstly, in my wrongful accusations and secondly that the line is running directly over my neighbours driveway and yard.  A tech will come out tomorrow to make sure the line is secure or to see if there is any other way that we can run it. The rogers rep said a work order is inplace for April to have the line burried, I can only hope that there is some truth to this. I would hate to have this line hanging there for any longer than that.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When one of my neighbours a couple houses down had their line go bad in the middle of winter, the tech ran a temp line back to their backyard fence, along my immediate neighbours back fence and finally up along the fence that separates my yard from my neighbours yard and up to the tap which sits just off my driveway.  That was a bit of a run but it kept the cable out of sight out mind so to speak and didn't end up crossing anyone's driveway or walkway, which would have presented a hazard.  Spring arrived and the cable was buried.  Note though, in burying the cable, it had to cross along the bottom of my neighbours driveway (read cut down thru the ashphalt), and across their yard.  My guess is that any digging will probably cut the cable as its probably not buried very deep.  For now, it works.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

First of all, you never do any digging without notifying the cable and utility companies, who will come out and detect and mark their cable locations.

I had a new cable buried some years ago because the existing one had a weak signal. It went from the cable pillar by the road up my side lawn, beside the garage and around my shed to the back of the garage, where it enters the house. They used some kind of trenching tool and I could hardly see where it went. With the mild winter we've been having here in Southern Ontario (except for one storm) I'm surprised they didn't just bury the cable, but maybe they go by the calendar.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

They put mine across the bottom of my gate without letting me know so when spring came I could open the gate and trip over it. They told my neighbors when spring came they would come back and bury it now June. Called said it was a safety issue 5 days ago still nothing done said I need be home for them to touch it but have worked on the wire 4 times the last Year and a half for the neighbor where I didn't need be home has nothing to do with my cable just doesn't make sense wish I could post a pic on here. Brutal service done with rogers
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @Bobbyp24,

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums. 

Although this is not the kind of experience we want for our customers, we thank you for taking the time to share it with the Community. Hopefully we can do something to turn this around and get this resolved. 

Considering the obvious safety concerns here, I'm sure we can get this addressed for you. We definitely don't want anyone tripping over the cable and potentially injuring themselves.

Next time you're online, if you can kindly send us a PM so we can get the ball rolling on this. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersCilio