cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account sent to collections, what do I do from here?

nick7799
I've been around

Long story short, I was out of a job for nearly a year and was unable to pay my Rogers wireless bill. I got an email from rogers@tcr.ca saying that Roger's had sold my account to total credit recovery, this was a couple months ago. I am now receiving a steady income, but I am confused on what exactly to do from here.

My Roger's account says that it's been canceled, but I am still able to see my outstanding balance, and I have to option to pay it. Do I pay total credit recovery? Do I pay Roger's? If I pay Roger's, what happens? I believe my lack of communications with Roger's is to blame here. What should my next steps be?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Account sent to collections, what do I do from here?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
I think once it is sent to collection you will have to pay and settle it with the collection company.
You MAY be able to negotiate a to pay a lower amount owing but don't hold me to that.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
I think once it is sent to collection you will have to pay and settle it with the collection company.
You MAY be able to negotiate a to pay a lower amount owing but don't hold me to that.

Good luck.

flloyd
I've been around

How do you know who owns the collection account?  Can you call Rogers and find out?

Good day @flloyd,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! We surely want to help you understand what has taken place for your account to be sent to a collection agency.

To better guide you in finding the answer to your question, please let us know how you found out your account was in collections in the first place. Were you notified by a phone call or letter?

Alternatively, we can assist with finding out more information via private message. Please PM us @CommunityHelps if you'd like for us to do look into this for you. If you're not familiar with the process, click here.

RogersMaude

riri
I've been here awhile
hey i am in the same situation, I didnt have a job for a while ,i went back to my country to see my grandmothwr for a month but got stuck here because of covid so i have had no income for more than 4 months and i am stuck here ,i am ready to pay the balance but just need some time ,i talked to rogers customer care through live chat and they said within a few days it wi be sent to collection agency what can i do

Hello @riri,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! I hope you're doing well and staying safe. Thank you for posting about your situation, I can only imagine how trying this must be.

Did you make a payment arrangement with the person you spoke with via Live Chat?

We can surely provide you with further assistance via private message. Simply send a PM to @CommunityHelps. If you're not familiar with the process, click here.

Thanks!

RogersMaude

riri
I've been here awhile
i did try talking to them and making payment arrangement and asking them for some time but they are stuck on transferring the account to collection in a few days

Hello there @riri,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the outcome you had hoped for when chatting in. Just to further clarify, was this the Customer Care team that you dealt with or was it the Credit Operations team? It is important that you chat with our Credit Operations team specifically, as they are the ones who would have the ability to extend your payment period and/or negotiate a payment arrangement with you. 

For your reference, here is how they may be contacted:

Live Chat Support online: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/contactus

- Select the 'Billing & Payments' tile.

- Then from the Chat & Social Media section, select 'Outstanding Accounts & Payments Inquiries' to begin chatting with the next available agent.

Hours of Operation: 

Mon-Fri: 7 am to Midnight EST

Sat: 7:30 am to 9 pm EST

Sun: 10 am to 6 pm EST

By Phone: 1-866-346-3430 (Within Canada) / 1 514 734-7699 (if overseas)

Hours of Operation: 

Mon-Fri: 7 am to Midnight EST

Sat: 7:30 am to 9 pm EST

Sun: 10 am to 6 pm EST

I hope this helps!

RogersLaura

Bobbibaby
I've been around

My account that I never never knew I had and never paid anything on it because I didn’t know I had it it’s now telling me it’s at the credit union my debt is. I have been fighting with Rogers for four days only to be hung up on several times. Finally somebody told me it was with  a collections agency and  they just hang up on me too  I never knew of this account and I didn’t do anything with it. They just send it to collections right away when you can clearly see that I was making payments on another account and in fact it had a credit balance but Rogers will not help me out.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It could be possible someone opened up the account in your name fraudulently. If so I would call and speak to the fraud department

codered44
I've been around
My account went to a collection agency. I have sent Rogers an email weeks ago saying I will return my old phone which will cover the balance. I have been trying to find time to get the phone back to Rogers. If I return this phone can they tell the collection agency to leave me alone?

Hi @codered44,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums thank you for your post, I do hope you are doing well!

If you do have an outstanding balance that has been sent to collections, then I would suggest you reach out to our credit operations team as soon as possible to look into this for you. Please check out @RogersYasmine post highlighted here on how to contact them. Hope this information helps.

Regards,
RogersJermaine

How do i know is the collection agency is real or a fraud? I never received any call or letter from Rogers bank in order to communicate the transfer of my debt to a collection agency

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Compare the balance owing with rogers and the collections agency, they should be identical, also compare the account number from your delinquent rogers account and compare it to the account number of the credit collection agency.

if it matches, yes you can confirm its real

Princess_Peach
I plan to stick around

Updates? Advice? Rogers is super unhelpful. 

Princess_Peach
I plan to stick around

You are wrong. The collection agency or their fake lawyers will always inflate what you owe and give you an offer to settle that is less than what they say you owe.

I paid in-store via Interac and I can't get a copy of which account those payments were assigned to. Dirty pool. 

They ask you to pay for copies of previous invoices and refuse to show payments. The bad debt is written-off the same fiscal year it is incurred. 

Princess_Peach
I plan to stick around

DO NOT reply to the collection agency. The collection agency may be real, but often they try to defraud you by inflating what you may have owed. Get a cheap one-month trial from TransUnion and Equifax to see your credit report, not just the score. Take pics of every screen. Ask Rogers for proof.

Rogers Bank is the credit card. Rogers communication is the "service provider".  

Lil_Lady15
I've been around
But my Rogers account remaining that I owe isn't the same as the collection agency. The agency is over $4300+ and interest is adding up. I'm stressing! I been paying through Rogers...they said that's okay.
Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 13 in conversation