$400 early cancellation fee for Internet??!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: $400 early cancellation fee for Internet??!!

Hi All,

Could you please let me know about the "agreement", i did not sign any agreement for 1 year, but still when i called customer svc, they told me that i am on a so called 1 yr lease and you are not eligible for any discounts after 6 months. I am paying more than 70$/month only for internet usage. Please let me know how to cancel without any fees

thank you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you signed up, you should have been given/sent a terms document.  No it doesnt have to be SIGNED.. but in it, it states that you have 30 days to 'cancel' if you dont agree with it.

Also, for almost every promo, there is the 'fine print' for it.  While it may not be up front saying the terms, the documentation is there about the term lengths for the promotion.

(IE: on the website for the promotion, there usualy is the 'more details' at the bottom, which has all the full term details.

You could try to fight that you never received the document, but this all has to be done over the phone, escalated to a manager, etc.  Unfortunately can not be done through here.

While you may be locked in for one year, you might be able to switch plans, to a less expensive plan. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

there is such a think as VERBAL contract.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello srinivag

Like Pauly said, there is a such thing as verbal agreement. When you called Rogers at any time, did you accept any offer from then? When you call them & you ask them about a discount or a upgrade or anything, they will tend to renew the contract without you signing it if you say YES over the phone. That is called a verbal agreement & its in the contract & policy.
I've Been Around

I called Roges to cancel my parents' internet because they are old, low income, and not using it much, plus their Rogers bill keeps growing although they dont't overuse any of the services.They had 1 year contract with home phone, TV and internet bundle so I called exactly after the year to cancel the Internet. Rogers wants to charge them 230$ early cancellation fee because of early termination of the contract - the customer service agent said the contract is actually for two years! My mom remembers clearly when one year ago the sales guy sold her the 'deal' that the promotion will end May 2013. Now they are telling me that it was actually two years promotion. I asked them to see the contract online or on paper somewhere and she said there is no such a thing because the agreement to the contract was verbal (over the phone)! How can I check the 'deal' my mom did whith them 1 year ago?
For sure I will not let them pay any cancellation fee. They will pay just for next month (i got angry and gave them 30 days notice to cancel the entire bundle) . I'm already Rogers free and I can' believe the way these guys are making business, luring old people into 'great deals' and then ripping them off....
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would suggest not just stoping paying, that you have set the cancel, when that is done they will process that on the bill.

I would still try and fight it, talk to retentions, etc.

But don't just not pay it. Doing so, it will go to collections, and from there on could ruin your parrents credit.

I've Been Around

Anybody know what the cancellation fee would be for getting rid of my Rogers home phone and cable tv?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hurtme

You will need to contact Rogers via phone/store or Live chat. They will be able to give you the correct info. They are able to look into your account & see the amount owning if you want to cancel.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hurtme,

You would need to call in and Inquire.
It all depends on if you are currently on a contract or not for them, and how much time is remaining of that term.
Bar that, you need to give 30 days notice which you will have to pay that last 30 days.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

sign a contract,who signed a contract....i quitting. im sick of my price going through the roof...they told me you are on a contract....and i said what contract..i didnt sign no contract,so how can they make you pay it...illegal