2019 Internet and TV Rate Increase

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: 2019 Internet and TV Rate Increase

@BS wrote:

@57   Thanks for that update - fortunately my phone port when as planned.  We figured sooner or later we would lose the box, no matter what we did.  Everything we currently have recorded was current shows, can get it on demand, and lots of HBO/Crave movie stuff which we have HBO/Crave + movies with our new service.

Hope the next person has better luck.

Thanks as always for the useful information.

Bruce

I might be that next person. Smiley Wink There were a few issues and surprises regarding the Rogers PVR, email, wiring, home phone, cellular plans, speeds and picture quality.  Send a Personal Message (PM) if you need further info. 

@praveenkumarsr wrote:

Increase in Internet Charges WITHOUT NOTICE!

There's been an increase of total billing from 33.89 to 37.28 without notice. Why there's an increase? I have not changed any of my plan. Please let me know.

My bill also provided a message stating that my "discount" for bundling TV, home phone and internet had been discontinued.  Check that out too.

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Thanks for the update @BS  I still have a month or two before the fibre is hooked up for my phone and internet to determine if I can put together a TV package to replace my Rogers Cable and come out ahead. If I decide on the switch, I don't believe Rogers could come up with any kind of incentive to replace my grandfathered VIP. And you have to remember, those 11th hour offers are just for a year or 6 months.

When Rogers cancelled my bundle discount last month, I tried to see what kind of new Ignite TV  package would equal the VIP Package. It was more. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Just downgraded my TV because of these increases and they still planing to up my bill by another $3 for phone next month.

I'd like to know what they added that benefits me and my services, NOT new customers.

Cable as a whole goes out 3 - 4 times a month in the whole province of Newfoundland. After all, anything happens to cable in NB then that's it for us because Rogers doesn't put in infrastructure here, they piggy back off their setup in NB. We got FaceBook group in my town where people ask if Rogers is down again lol. Way to go Rogers, you got your own "is it down" for facebook in our town. Bell and Eastlink must be some jealous lol.

Short answer, I shouldn't have to downgrade my TV package (and soon to be internet as it still not where it should be in price) for the same services. There isn't anything new, I got the same TV hook up as before, same internet, and same phone. So if you want to play the "upgraded services" card, play it with the people who actually want the new TV services. Not people like me who don't need wi-fi TV boxes in a 2 foot space.

@57 wrote:

I believe that @User14 recently cancelled, forgot to disconnect, but then called Rogers to reconnect for a day to allow for a reboot, then disconnected that day in order to watch some recordings...  He can comment further if he visits.

I see on my last bill that there is also a rate increase on Rogers' Home Phones.  

We had two PVRs and we just finished watching all the recordings on one. I'll disconnect the cable tonight to see how long it allows me to call up the recordings list.  A lot of planning is required.   Private Message (PM) me if anyone needs more detailed info.

@User14 wrote:

@57 wrote:

I believe that @User14 recently cancelled, forgot to disconnect, but then called Rogers to reconnect for a day to allow for a reboot, then disconnected that day in order to watch some recordings...  He can comment further if he visits.

I'll disconnect the cable tonight to see how long it allows me to call up the recordings list.  

At 6:30am this morning, the box was showing -01- with a blue screen.  I connected the cable cord and rebooted the box.  All was well. I disconnected the cable cord at 7am.  We'll see how long it goes. 

(Note: We are down to 44 recordings on the second box, but some of them we can get on Crave TV or elsewhere. I recommend writing down your recorded programs and culling them to the ones you will actually need to watch. Change your TV service to "basic" until you have finished watching your recorded programs. Then cancel.) 

@User14 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@57 wrote:

I'll disconnect the cable tonight to see how long it allows me to call up the recordings list.  

At 6:30am this morning, the box was showing -01- with a blue screen.  I connected the cable cord and rebooted the box.  All was well. I disconnected the cable cord at 7am.  We'll see how long it goes. 

(Note: We are down to 44 recordings on the second box, but some of them we can get on Crave TV or elsewhere. I recommend writing down your recorded programs and culling them to the ones you will actually need to watch. Change your TV service to "basic" until you have finished watching your recorded programs. Then cancel.) 

After three days of trying this out, it seems that the Rogers PVRs do send a signal between 3am and 5am daily  looking for updates. If the cable is not connected it results in a -01- and blue screen in the morning.  There was also a screen shot with "Goliath Tech"(?) at one point.  Technology monitoring company 

FYI,  I chose the cheapest "Select" TV package just to keep my PVRs active until I have finished watching the recorded programs.  It may cost you about $55 to keep your PVRs going for a month but you might also be given a gift card to offset this cost.   Good luck with future service provider decisions.