10yr all-in 'bundled services Rogers customer fed up. I'm done. Au revoir

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

10yr all-in 'bundled services Rogers customer fed up. I'm done. Au revoir

No other way to put this but to say: You guys suck.  

For all the effort you put in to social media and new customer acquisition strategies, you do near nothing for long-term loyal customers.  And by 'near nothing' I mean the 'special offer for customer email' BS you send out offering me a whopping $1 subscription offer to crap magazines.  Geez, a whole dollar!  I feel so special.

Through surveys and even letters to the Office of the President, I have written to Rogers complaining of this.  Actually it wasn't a complaint, it was idea to help YOU help YOUR long-term customer stay with you longer.  I must've been drunk that day to actually think that was going to get heard.

Who am I? I'm a customer who has had wireless (2 phones), cable, hi-speed internet, home phone, and TV all with Rogers for as long as I can remember now.  Maybe 10 years.  Monthly bill for all bundled services: approximately $300+.

So what's got me fed up?  I'll try to keep it short.

Monday afternoon, I call in to see what I could do to:

• eliminate some unnecessary service (a channel pkg I longer want: SuperChannel),
  • query if my PVR is perhaps out of date (no longer reliably records shows) and
  • find out why I'm paying $49 for Express Internet and getting only 60GB when your site says that Express = 80GB.  

I spoke to a couldn't-care-less agent (otherwise known as Frank), and who removes SC.  For Internet, he says I get 60GB because i have an old modem (which I pay $4/month for).  To get 80GB, I need a new modem ($7/month).  I'm no expert on modems & routers, but I'm at a loss to understand how a modem can affect how much data I can download in a given month.  You mean it will actually block me from going over 60GB?  I'm guessing no.  No doubt you'll happily, easily and quickly bill me for the overages given the alerts I get when I'm at 75% of monthly usage.  Maybe the new modem includes a router that my old modem does not??  He did not saying about this.  Pretty sure it doesn't since I have my own router so even if new modem includes a router, it is one I don't need and certainly don't need to pay for.

Frank says he can switch my acct to reflect new modem right away (that way I can start paying Rogers more money for something I don't have right away!), and I on my own time can go in & swap old for new modem.  ORRRR (and this is my favourite part), he can send technician to my house to install new modem -- so I can get the 80GB I'm already paying $49/month for -- and wait for it, ... Rogers will charge me $50 for the service call.  Epically awesome.  Anyone out there get why this is soooo offensive.

As for the PVR, i'll have to call in to TechSupport for help with that.

Let me break it down quickly for you:

1. As an existing customer either you reduce service fee for bandwith so 60GB costs less than 80GB.  In most businesses, more services usually costs more money.  Two customers paying the same service fee should be getting the same service.  I shouldn't have had to call in after discovering on my own (through friend/another Rogers customer) to get this corrected.
  2. Difference in modem cost is $3.  Fee for tech visit is equal to monthly Internet service fee ($50 vs. $49).  Maybe call centre agents don't have the business acumen to understand this but do you no think it makes good business sense (buzzword alert: customer relationship management) to waive the cost difference and service fee.  $3 is less than ONE PERCENT of what I pay you monthly!

I'm not sure what ticks me off more ... what you're doing in terms of overcharging or your general couldn't care less attitude.  I'd like to think it's just one agent, but it's far more pervasive.  Repeatedly, it's the same thing over and over again.  Instead of the peace of mind of knowing I'm getting best value for all my 'connected' needs, now I constantly have to scrutinize and think "Geez, what else am I getting screwed on?".

Everything not tied to a contract I'm severing immediately.  Anything on a contract, I'll look at seriously paying early cancellation penalties just to be rid of you.  For years, I'd actually defend Rogers to friends and family when told of their Rogers horror stories.  My experience (up until the last year or so) has not been anything like those horror stories.  But now, no more.  I'm done.

****Edited Labels****

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 10yr all-in 'bundled services Rogers customer fed up. I'm done. Au revoir

While technicaly, no there is really no reason why the cap cant be on a older modem as well.. rogers has yes, chose to do it this way.  Why?  The newer modems, are newer technology, and allow for such things as more upstream channel boding, etc (wont go into details, but do effect how the network works).  In the end, the $3 a month  difference, for the speed down and up increase you will get, as well as the extra usage, is MORE than its money worth.
The plan, can not be overwritten to work on the old modem.. it WONT switch over unless the new modem is on the account (i tried with two stores to do so Smiley Tongue)

You could go out to a rogers store, bring your old modem back, have them swap everything, go home plug the new one in, no paying ahead of time, etc.

As for deals, etc... really, in the end. rogers is there to make money.  They are not going to hand extra freebies out to EVERYONE right away, as they loose money on it.  Thats not to say they are not there.
You need to call and inquire.  Both myself and my mother, long time rogers users, were able to get a 60% off our tv bills, for 2 years, on a 2 year contract deal.  Thats a HUGE savings.  All we had to do, was ask. (now what each person can get, may varry.. my brother got 2 free box rentals i think, but couldnt get the 60% off)

Hopefuly you do find some other good servies which do suit your needs.  But be aware, most of this are farily general business practices as time goes on.  Bell internet, requires newer hardware, etc for their newer speeds.  But they will not notify you, of changes you can make to save yourself money either.. while they SHOULDNT.. a customer DOES have to be pro-active in this.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks so much. Appreciate the time & effort you took produce this thoughtful reply. Much appreciated!
I'm a Senior Advisor

You make a number of good points nahkrehza. Rogers charges an arm and a leg for their services - because they can. There is no one to stop them. They continually defend their services as being competitively priced. With whom - their only competition? Rogers puts up their price, so Bell follows suit and they are now equivalent pricing (or in the new idiom ... they are now competitive again).

As for the modem, what Rogers will not tell you and what others may not tell you is that the D3 modem you need to pay an extra $3 per month for is a terrible piece of equipment. Yes, it does have a built in router, hence the extra $3 charge. However the built in router for wireless suffers from both dropped connections and poor range. The solution of choice for most is to have the modem placed in bridge mode and hook up your own router. In the event you reconsider and exchange your current D2 modem, be sure to keep your router, as you will need it.  I also know that Gdkitty is correct in that "The plan, cannot be overwritten to work on the old modem". Well...........not entirely! If Rogers wanted to allow it they could - just that once again they choose not to!

I will also state that Gdkitty is correct in that retention deals can be had. They are however getting stingier, more deceptive, and trying to get 2-year deals now instead of the previous 1-year deal, thereby making it more difficult for you to get out of. I recently committed to a 2-year with 50% off Cable. I went over everything in detail with the agent I was speaking to and he made it quite clear that I would receive 50% off of my current package (VIP Ultimate with Movies). When I received my bill, instead of 50% off, I received only 18%. A phone call revealed that the agent made a mistake and it should have been 50% off of basic digital cable. Big difference in price there and a big difference in discount! Was I lied to? Or was the agent simply misinformed? You be the judge!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I vote on the agent miss informed. There are MANY that way Smiley Sad.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, there are many clueless agents working for Rogers. In my case, I had the feeling that something was not right, which was why I emphasized at least 5 times in my conversation that the 50% discount was off of my package. He kept reiterating that I was correct. I concluded by asking him for a confirmation email. This was never received. Personally, I think I was lied to! I have 30 days to cancel and I am not only considering that, but also considering canceling my services with Rogers. I have now taken my case to the Ombudsman.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The confirmation email, SHOULD be automatic, for any plan changes.

ANY changes i have ever made in the last year, to any of my services, within an hour or two, i receive a mail to the myrogers registerd email account, with what changes were dont, etc.

I'm Here A Lot

I have twice written to Rogers, at the VP level.. No reply to either letter. 

Who cares? .... not them.

I just came off a 2-year contract and am going to be doing some serious looking at options to the $300 +/month I am paying.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Chaply

They do not reply on emails & letters. This was said years ago when they stopped the service... They rather you speak to a manager & then the office of the president if you want.

Look around & see what other companies are offering VS Rogers. See the good & bad stuff about all companies & pick the one you like / hear good things ago ( Vs the others).
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you research and look around.

Dont just compare price.. as they are all the same offering discounts to NEW people (even rogers), and not much as time goes on.

Compare everything.  Quality of service.. find someone in the area who has the servie and see how good it is.
See how reliable it is, all other people who are posting about it, good/bad in general.
Check people in your area.. even if the service reviews are generally great for the company, could be VERY poor in that area.

Shop around, and choose the right one for you! Smiley Happy