Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Windows Phone 8

I've Been Around
Lumia900Beta

Just wondering if others are peeved at just purchasing Nokia Lumia 900, only to find out that OS will not be upgradable to new Windows 8.

Just hoping Nokia and Rogers can come up with an upgraded phone with new Windows 8 OS that can be optioned into existing contract.

OR are we just stuck with Mango 7.5 OS for length of contract, OR on the hook for cost of new phone.

Just askin?

Please use plain text.

Re: Windows Phone 8

I Plan to Stick Around
gorebashd
We are getting most of the features our phone can use. Os upgrade to version 7.8. Its just not up to hardware specs of new phones. Nokia also announced a bunch of software for current Lumia owners. We really won't notice a difference for a year or so till their user base is bigger then wp7
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
Mayoo
i will be happy with 7.8 .. but since we are with Rogers, we have to wait few more months to get 7.8 .. currently we are waiting for purple fix, and then tango update and then we are looking for 7.8 .. easily next January i would say ..
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
gorebashd
7.8 and all future updates will come via Microsoft. Was announced yesterday. So it will come when they release not Rogers.
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
Mayoo

gorebashd wrote:
7.8 and all future updates will come via Microsoft. Was announced yesterday. So it will come when they release not Rogers.

I dont think so .. They announced Over the air feature. So company admin can deploy the software via Over the air in a corporate environment. I dont think it applies to Consumers and Rogers have to test it :smileysad:

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
gorebashd
I hope not. All the articles I've read state that Microsoft will be in charge of updates bypassing the carrier to avoid fragmented os
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
RWalrond

gorebashd wrote:
I hope not. All the articles I've read state that Microsoft will be in charge of updates bypassing the carrier to avoid fragmented os

Microsoft has always been in charge of distributing the updates, but they have to wait for the green light from carriers. Everything I've seen doesn't say anything about changing that. What will change is that you won't need to plug your phone into your computer to get future updates.

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
gorebashd
The latest articles I read state this will be more a wp8 thing due to hardware we lack. Plus read there are things they held back for 7.8 that are not announced
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
gorebashd
Plus Microsoft is guaranteed 18 months of being updated with wp8. For a good read. Check out WP central
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
gorebashd
http://www.wpcentral.com/poll-results-majority-windows-phone-users-happy-proposed-78-update

If you read comments from Daniel (editor of WP central) he was at press conference and states that WP8 will give u option to bypass carrier and receive updates directly from Microsoft
Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Introducing - *New* Members to Rogers Resident Experts

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors