Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

NextBox PVR questions

I've Been Around
Manders

I recently switched from Bell to Rogers (last week!) and I have concerns about my PVR settings.

When I select "record series", with "new episodes only" the recording does not show up in my list of shows to be recorded. It will show up in the "by series" tab, but not in the "by date" or any other tab. I know that it's a new show, and I know that it's actually on because I can see it in the guide. Why is my PVR not picking it up. I don't want to miss out on my shows because of this change. I'd also like to note that it in a few instances it recorded last week, but is not scheduled to record this week (again, it is 100% new).

And while I'm on it....I had to set the series for each time the show came on during the week. ie, I had to program the Voice twice...once for Monday's episodes & once for Tuesday's...even though I chose the option "any day of the week" & "any time slot".

What gives? Anyone else having these PVR issues?

Please use plain text.

Re: NextBox PVR questions

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Not sure on the any day any timeslot thing.. i know my wife has that set up for big brother, etc, and our has worked. 

But i beleive i can explain the other part.  So you are saying, you say set it to record GLEE as a series... you have even scrolled to next weeks airing, and choose from that, to record the series, etc.

But when you look at that channel itself, it doesnt show that its set to record? (but if you look at the by series, it does).

I thought it was fixed but maybe not, that there was a bug, that it didnt always show on the guide when viewing regularily. But if its in the by series, you should be fine. 

Also as well, if you set a show that airs tomorrow, you might see it show up there fine... and you are able to browse through the guide, to NEXT sat, but you dont see it there set to record.  It usualy wont show any recording for the next weeks programming, even thought you can see the programming, until a day or so before the show actualy airs.. I dont know if this is a bug, or that its just so it doesnt set it, then the channel changes its lineup before that date, etc.

Hopefuly that helps explain it a little.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
chianabanana

I am so frustrated. I just switched all my services as well from Bell to Rogers this past Saturday, 1117/12. Was given the NextBox Explorer 8642HD package. This is the worst piece of equipment I have ever seen. The installer set it up, worked 'ok' for about 4 hours, then shut off. Called Customer Care they said it was just downloading software. Asked if it would happen again, she said no. Well it happened at least 8 more times in the same day. Not only that, the reaction time is uber slow for anything you do. Also, I spent over an hour (no joke) 'hiding' all the channels I did not want to show up on my guide. When I was finished selecting those channels, it took almost 15 minutes before I could 'exit' off that screen! Everything just stays in a frozen state when you do anything to the box! I couldn't change the channel, adjust the volume, pull up the guide....nothing. They told me to reboot everything which I did quite a few times that day, only to see all those channels I spent over an hour hiding from the guide did not stick. Did it again, and once again, everything froze up, and took 15 minutes to clear off back to the main screen. Also....I set timers for all my scheduled programming and unfortunately if you accidentally set too many timers that conflict with each other, you don't get any auto-message or alert of any kind letting you know that you can't do that. The only way you find out that you have set too many shows to record at the same time is literally 2 minutes before any of those scheduled shows are to start recording! So good luck to you if you are not in front of your TV when that message pops up on your TV screen because you won't be aware of it until it's too late. What if I just went to bed? Wouldn't have seen that message, either, and lost some shows I wanted to record that perhaps I could have set at another time to schedule to record. Also having the same issue with the Menu option to see what TV shows you have scheduled to record. Unless you go under the Series tab, you won't see them all. But also they won't get taped! I had 2 shows only showing in the Series tab, but not in any other tab. Went to those shows to set up recordings again in case I had done something wrong. When I tried to set up the recording it did at least tell me that I had already set up an existing timer for these shows, so I thought I was good to do. Nope. They did not end up recording AT ALL and they were not conflicing with any other shows so we just lost them entirely. This is the worst piece of crap, I can't believe they push this on customers and I just switched everything from Bell who at least was reliable...what a huge mistake. Now can someone tell me about the regular HD PVR? I have to return this NextBox and change to a regular HD PVR. If Rogers HD PVRs also suck this bad, then I am just going to cancel everything and go back to Bell.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
upsdriver9

Hey chianabanana 

I believe the problems you are having many of us have either experienced them or are still experiencing them, these are issues that have been with us since Rogers introduced this "NextBox 2.0" thing, When it first came out Rogers made it sound like it was the NEXT Generation thing, that it was the BEST out there... hahahahahaha what a joke... Its the same old 8642 PVR, they just put a sticker on it that says "NEXTBOX" but the inside of it is the same old crap... Unfortunately people are stuck with this crap and others wake up and move on to the competitor. I am switching to the Bell Fibe thing come end of November, I have my hookup date already and I wont be sorry to do this, it is actually time to do a change... We all need something different... I believe when you sign up with Rogers or Bell, or any other provider you have I think a week in lieu that you can make a decision to cancel due to not being satisfied with the service and there is no penalties involved, double check on that as that was what happened with my friend, he was not happy with Rogers and switched back to Bell within a week of hookup and there were no charges except those that he used the service for a week. Hey I cant wait.. 20 years with rogers and nothing great out of it, this is time to move on...

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
chianabanana

Thank you for your reply, UPSdriver! So I just called Rogers to complain about the NextBox issues I was having. The technician said he would download the software for the regular HD PVR into the NextBox and to try that out instead. But if I understood what you were saying, you're saying that they just made the NextBox the same as the HD PVR and just renamed it? That both the NextBox and HD PVR are the same in the end? Oh God please don't tell me that lol. I still have to wait about an hour for all the software to download so I guess I'll see what happens.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
chianabanana

Wow what a difference this made in having the HD PVR software downloaded into the NextBox. Everything is super fast, no lag time at all! The guide doesn't look as nice but that's just cosmetic. Now a question for anyone: am I able to 'hide' the channels I don't want and/or am subscribed to, from the guide? I know I can 'block' them but they still show up on my guide when I'm scrolling through. HELP!

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Its been AGES for me on the old guide.. i think its in settings.. but i could be wrong.  Hopefuly someone will pop in who has the old guide still, and can give you a hand.

Myself, i primarily watch TV on a 60" LED and a 72" wide projector screen.  I TRIED going back to the old guide.. and went back to the new.  With all the other quirks/bugs.. i am willing to put up with it.  After using the HD guide.. i actualy got a HEADACHE reading the old guide :smileysad:

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Lurker

You cannot hide channels in the old "SARA" guide, no matter what box its running on.

The channels you do not subscribe to will be "greyed out".

You want to hide channels, you need the NEXTBOX next-gen guide.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
Been so long I forgot :smileytongue:

Thanks lurker! I've never hid them, so was from memory
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Around
campadk

You can hide channels on the Nextbox with their new antique guide, but be prepared to spend a half a day to do it.

You have to check off each channel one by one. Off course they do not make this easy, so you essentially have to preview tall the channels beforehand and write down a list of channel numbers you want to remove. The big problem is that is if you try to check off more than a small number of channels at a time, the box gets over worked and takes ages to update. After all, this is very very complex task. It has to remember many many numbers! Also the more channels you mark to hide, the slower the process goes. Set asside several hours and you should be good to go. Hopefully you don't overheat the unit in the process!

One quick remedy is to phone Rogers and cancel all but the basic channels so you have less channels to have to scroll through that you don't get.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Happy Birthday Idea Box!!

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications