Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Rogers free digital adapter remote

I Plan to Stick Around
adm

My parents just recieved this free digital adapter and it basically say's the Rogers remote it came with has to be used and the one that came with your TV can be put away.

This does not sound good as the remote that came with the TV controls all the vast functions/settings and the Rogers remote looks like a joke that we do not wish to use.

Can our remote that came with the TV still be used with the digital adapter?

How else are we going to control all the TV functions.

There is no detail on remotes given in the instructions and I can't find any answers on the net.

Please use plain text.

Re: Rogers free digital adapter remote

Resident Expert
Pauly

Hi Adm,

I'm not a Rogers Employee, but I can comment on the DTA you received.  THe idea of the DTA is a no-cost transition to continue to receive the same tv channels you have been in the past but now they will be transmitted digitally.   The remote is also a low cost remote that will control basic tv functions like power, volume, and closed caption.   These are the most common functions you will ever need to use with the rogers remote when channel surfing, however you are welcome to use your TV's own remote to control the picture settings like the brightness, colour settings and even the sound settings. Of course you will need the TV remote for these. Another thing you can do, is you might be able to go to a rogers store and pay "more" for the rogers Atlas DVR remote? as for how much they will charge you for this remote i have no idea since I do not work for the company, but somehow I had an extra one and I am using that remote on the DTA, even though it was suppost to come with a STB, and it still works.  it is a more advanced remote, and it controls my TV's built in menus like sound, picture, input, and more.  Give them a shout and see if they can supply u this remote? u never know they might even give it to  you no cost if u ask nicely?

Another note, your tv remote might be compatible with the cable box too,  u would have to check if it has a cable mode on it, and if so, you can program it for scientific atlanta set top box.

Hope this helps

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
adm

Thanks.

Can the Rogers remote be eliminated entirely?

Would prefer to use my remote to control everything.

This is all I really need to know.

It looks like the Rogers remote doesn't have anything to do with the operation of the digital adapter and the adapter remains on constantly once activated.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly

The rogers remote controlls the tuner in the DTA to change channels,  your tv tuner will not receive channels any more.

if u want to use your tv remote, find out if it can contrl other devices, if not u can pick one up for like $5 - 10 from best buy or future shop

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
adm

Great.

What a bunch of complicated bull**bleep**.

Thanks Rogers.(thieves)

We will not be installing this adapter any time soon!

Why can't they make it so it just goes digital without needing another (their) remote.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
Pauly

adm, it sounds like your a little pissed off for no reason to be pissed?

The ROGERS remote that comes with the standard settop boxes does pretty much anytihng i want to on my TV set, it changes the menus, volume, controls the inputs, pip, brightness, colour, contrast. etc.  Now, I could have settled for a DTA50 box and the barebones basic remote it comes with, but sometimes in life, you dont have to take whats given to you.  Just because they offered the DTA does not mean you have no choice, you have a choice to get a regular STB, though I hapilly paid for mine, it was only $40 and its mine to keep i dont pay monthly rental, I have full access to my tvs functions, and control the rogers channels on their tuner box, I also didnt complain to anyone to program the remote, I took the time, learned the codes myself and programmed it myself.   something you can do as well.  Also people shouldn't always settle for the free stuff too, sometimes pay a little more for conveniene is worth it.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

I understand there are many people frustrated at this.. espeicaly people who were very basic TV watchers.

They are used to the old way of doing things.. that they have been doing for.. well i dont know how long, probably at least as long as i have been alive (30 odd years).

Technicaly, for multiple TVs people were still suposed to pay per outlet (usualy packages gave you multiple).. and many people were not.. but it wasnt as big of a deal.

Rogers (and some of the other cable providers) have been the ONLY companies, allowing TV to be watched these ways, over the years.
Ever since satalite came out... and any new technologies since (Fibre, etc).  You have always been forced into renting/buying a digital box, for EVERY tv.. you didnt have any other choice (well, other than spliting the OUTPUT, and the same show on two TVs).

Really rogers have been giving us a freebie for many years.
With demands for more and better TV (yes, not EVERYONE, but you have to look at the majority), faster internet, etc.. there are changes that have to be made to the infrastructure of how the TV is delivered.  And delivering all digital is the way. 
Unfortunately, this does effect people who were getting alot of the FREE stuff before.
But rogers is offering these devices, as a way to STILL get your TV on those tv's.. for FREE still.

Does it require a little bit of a.. procedural change? Sure.  But that comes with everything..  You use the same TV for 30 years.. go buy a new one.. while alot may be the same, the buttons, etc are not going to be exactly the same, you may have to change to how you do it, but you get used to it.

Pauly:  That i have been able to find, at least.. its next to impossible to BUY a SD set to box anymore.  None of the major retailers seem to have them anymore (futureshop, bestbuy, etc).. and rogers themselves wont sell them anymore, only rent them.  Maybe its just my area though.. I am rending mine for the basement right now, but would have perfered to buy it.. may even switch down to a DTA, not sure yet.

Please use plain text.
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications