Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

Digital Adapter - stopping analog channels?

I've Been Around
DaveE

Rogers is saying we need Digital Adapters for TV's that are plugged direct into the wall outlet, or we will not be able to get some analog channels after they make a change.  Does anyone know when this is happening and what channels will be lost if you don't install a Digital Adapter?   

Please use plain text.

Re: Digital Adapter - stopping analog channels?

Resident Expert
Pauly
not really but if theyre free why not grab it and not worry about it
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

DaveE wrote:

Rogers is saying we need Digital Adapters for TV's that are plugged direct into the wall outlet, or we will not be able to get some analog channels after they make a change.  Does anyone know when this is happening and what channels will be lost if you don't install a Digital Adapter?   

From what I have read, at least for now, you will be able to continue watching the lower tier (channels 2-27 or so) without a digital adapter. Anything in the upper tiers will be lost. Eventually (not sure of the timeline yet), even the lower tier will be lost in the conversion to digital.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly

What this basically states in englsh is to retain the existing channels you already are getting, just simply pick up one of the DTA adaptors, its FREE, which means no cost to you, and your channels received will be unaffacted.   There should be no reason for someone to remain connected on analog once hearing this.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
DWR

Pauly wrote:

What this basically states in englsh 

From someone who normally butchers the English language, your comment is kind of funny!

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Brucemartin2010

The problem with Rogers doing this is that you must install the Digital Adapters upstream of any TV, recording devices or streaming devices.

When you do this, the Rogers digital adapter takes over the switching of channels, and you must leave your devices on channel 3 to get the signal from the adapter.

This means that you can no longer program TV recording with Windows Media on a PC with a TV card, or on a non-Rogers PVR or even on your old VCR. 

Also, you can no longer control your TV signal when you stream it across your WLAN with your PC or with a Slingbox or any non-Rogers set-top box. I guess if you're an Xbox owner, you are screwed for this too.

Sure, this lets Rogers to reclaim bandwidth for their premium services by compressing their basic channels. But what would you rather have - more expensive pay-per-view channels or the ongoing choice to watch the TV you paid for at your convenience?

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly

I have no problem recording TV shows on my DVD recorder.

I use the Cisco remote control and set the channel to the station I wish to record.  I then go to my DVD rec and set the timer to 8:00 or what ever time my show is going to be aired.   My DVD recorder timer is enabled and set to channel 3, which is no need to change it any more so i deleted the other channels from the dvd's tuner.

I take off and go to dinner or to a famiyl members house. When I come home, I go to my dvd recorder, eject the dvd disc,  and now I can play it back in any dvd player in my house and watch my missed show,  its exactly like before, the only thing different is instead of changeing the channel with my dvd players remote i am using the cisco remote,  thats not difficult

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Brucemartin2010

Pauly wrote:

I have no problem recording TV shows on my DVD recorder.

I use the Cisco remote control and set the channel to the station I wish to record.  I then go to my DVD rec and set the timer to 8:00 or what ever time my show is going to be aired.   My DVD recorder timer is enabled and set to channel 3, which is no need to change it any more so i deleted the other channels from the dvd's tuner.

I take off and go to dinner or to a famiyl members house. When I come home, I go to my dvd recorder, eject the dvd disc,  and now I can play it back in any dvd player in my house and watch my missed show,  its exactly like before, the only thing different is instead of changeing the channel with my dvd players remote i am using the cisco remote,  thats not difficult

And when you want to program your DVD recorder to record two shows while you're out, on two different channels? You can't do that any more.

(At least, not unless you run home to change the channel with your Cisco remote a moment before the second show begins.)

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Rogers is just moving along with the times...

im not trying to say for eveyone that owns a VCR or even a DVR.. that they are useless and throw them out... BUT.. those markets as a whole, are disapearing.

VCRs.. good luck even finding one anymore.  Even DVRs.. there are only a few select models on the normal market right now.. and even them, are quite a number of years old.. many of the companys making them are moving away from them.. (though quite possibly DUE to the fact that PVRs, etc are more relivent.

I myself, still use my DVR... but in conjuction with my PVR.  I enjoy the ease of using the PVR to record.. and if i really want to keep something.. output it to my DVR to record.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly

I understand that if a different show on a different channel i would have to change the channel on my stb as it wont do it on its own anymore. i record maybe what? one show max per week.   If I needed to record more frequently, i would have already invested in the Rogers PVR already.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Spotlight: Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications