Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Re: PVR Extenders/Expanders not working

I've Been Around
pnieuw

And I thought it was just me...

My PVR with Extender works for about 3 days, and then the pause, RW and FF functions stop working, and I cannot access programs from my saved list.  A hard boot resolves this, but that last for just a couple of days, and once again, my PVR fails me.

I have called Tech Support 5x, and now and working on the escalation process with Customer Service.  I just wrote the Office of the President. 

I bought this PVR and the Extender, spending over $500 a couple of years ago.  It worked just fine until the firmware "upgrade".  I also have just four months left on my one-year contract.  If this isn't fixed very, very soon, I'll be a Bell customer by summer.

If anyone at Rogers is reading this - do right by your customers and fix the mess you have creatred.  Rollback the firmware, or offer free exchanges of bad PVR's for new ones, with extenders that work.  Yes, I'll be upset about the programming I'm going to lose, but you might retain me as a customer....might being the operative word.

Keep pushing customer service on this issue.

Please use plain text.

Re: PVR Extender recordings no longer accessible !!!

I'm Here A Lot
photo111

Same thing with me. Shows that we taped for half a season ( to watch when we have time. I had a 70% full extender. I noticed  that a show would not light up on the front when I was suppossed to be recording. Unable to record back to back shows under the same time same day banner. It was either one or the other. I could do both but one had to be manual. Tried everything Rogers suggested. Nothing. This was a couple of months ago. Only one solution. I had to erase EVERYTHING! Back to normal. I noticed yesterday that the news was not recording like it should. Would not record manually. Kept getting the message on how to safely unplug the extender. Went through that process immediately and it recorded fine for the rest of the night. Now I have to go to Rogers and rent the season shows for my wife. Outstanding.

Please use plain text.

Re: PVR Extender recordings no longer accessible !!!

I Plan to Stick Around
Hooter

Though we had the initial firmware update last November and not experienced any difficulties, I am sad to say that is no longer the case.

Last night our PVR rebooted and I assume that Rogers was once again screwing around with updates. This time, we lost almost everything on our eHDD. Recording space went from 46% to 3%. Over 200 shows were lost. The only shows now available are a few from before the initial update last November and what was recorded after 2:00 AM this morning. Despite numerous calls and complaints from angry customers, Rogers continues to play these silly games and pretend like nothing is wrong. 

Well something is wrong Rogers. You have messed up with a firmware update that was never properly tested. You have pissed off a lot of customer and I am one of them. This may be the straw that broke the camel's back. We have 4 services with Rogers but will eventually (once contracts expire) be looking for someone who can provide decent service. 

Please use plain text.

(mainly) good news on PVR Extender

I've Been Around
Gord__

new PVR => chance to upgrade to 3rd party 2 T extender => PVR offers to format => no sign of extended  memory => call to a Rogers Tech for help => long wait and then good help + other information

Advice: A glitch in the new Cisco PVR software (or?). Workaround: Just record and record. Once the internal HD is full, the external one is recognized and the extra space becomes available.

If that does not work, RETURN THE PVR WITHIN 3 (THREE) MONTHS, after that you do not get a new one fresh from the box but a retread, even though guaranteed for 2 years.

Rogers techs (at least some) WILL discuss 3rd party equipment support.

This workaround is new enough (April 29 2011) that the tech had to ask a supervisor about it and chose to rather than giving me the 'we don't discuss 3rd party issues" brush off. Sercie like that keeps me figuring "ok, I'll stick with Rogers for a while longer". Thanks John.

Please use plain text.

Re: (mainly) good news on PVR Extender

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around
LF1949

Gord__, I don't have an external HDD (extender) on either my 8300HD or 8642HD, but have read in another forum that most people with extenders are having all sorts of problems since the firmware update last October (along with all sorts of other issues). You might want to test out what you've been told by recording 20+ hours of HD. My guess is this will not work, but a lot of people would be happy to know if it does.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
gjw
I have the 8300HD with a 1TB extender and have had the "Playback Channel appears - no show" problem fairly often.

I had thought it might have something to do with Rogers updating firmware etc and causing the 8300to reboot. Then I thought it might have something to do with having a power failure etc.

However, I began to notice that every time this occurred it showed that the system had used about 32 to 33% of the total space available.

Not sure if this is a coincidence, but....
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Gareez

Hi guys... an interesting read.

I recently picked up one of these WD My Book AV at Best Buy while it was on sale. I don't plan on installing it until Christmas (gift for someone). However after reading so many problems with the Rogers 8300 firmware I'm thinking I should take this My Book AV back to BB before my refund period has gone by.

Just to clear something up. Did all of you that are reporting problems with the My Book AV buy your units before the Cisco upgrade? Someone suggested that the My Book AV works fine for new recordings but you just can't view old recordings made before the upgrade. Has anyone bought this My Book AV recently and had success with the current 8300 firmware?

Hope to hear some good news soon. Thanks

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly
first of all, what the heck is mybook av? is it an external hard disc drive? how are you connecting it to the pvr
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Gareez

Read the very first post on this thread and you would know what I'm talking about. Yes, it's WD external hard drive for DVRs and I will be connecting it with the eSATA cable..

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly

I did a search about 1000 times for the words "WD My Book AV" and nothing came up, so I did another search another 1000 times to see if it would come up again, and nothing. I even searched not just the first POST, but the first PAGE of the thread and there is no reference to "WD My Book AV"  to me, without any knowledge or references, it sounds like some kind of AV device which would not be compatible with a pvr,  but maybe your spelling it wrong so thats why the search yeilds a 0 results found every time

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Introducing - *New* Members to Rogers Resident Experts

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors