Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

Nextbox 2.0 DLNA Features

I've Been Here Awhile
Corpse420

Has anyone had any luck setting thier Nextbox up on thier network yet? Are any of the DLNA features on this new box even usable? Thanks.

Please use plain text.

Re: Nextbox 2.0 DLNA Features

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

I think you may have been a little either miss informed or miss understoon what the Netbox is.

The name is kinda deceiving..

Really, all the netbox 2.0 is, is the Cisco regular HD box (non pvr).. with the new Interactive Program Guide.. which allows you to stream already recorded shows from your Cisco PVR. 
It also allows you to do some sort of live TV stream from it to a tablet (not as sure on this part).

The 'net' part of it come, that your boxes are networked together, but they are networked together via the actual cable cable, and not a regular network... so no DNLA, etc.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Meowmix
Gdkitty is right. The NetBox is the same as the HD Box & the HD PVR Rogers already offers. They just named branded it to get people to buy into it if they do not have those Boxes.

The Box as well has the new update some do not have so this is a good feature until the other 2 boxes get the update.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Corpse420

From the Rogers site:

This device also Supports:

- DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) - allows home entertainment devices to share their content with each other across a home network

So I am pretty sure the box supports it via the ethernet connection, just not sure if Rogers has any of these features enabled.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
Meowmix

From what i heard you need internet to do this. I could be wrong but this is what ROGERS REPS & store reps told me.  Any of the boxes Rogers offers has the same things on them. They just renamed it to sell the unites.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
ltaschner

The 8642 and 4642 have DLNA capabilities. However this software does not support it. It may be added at a later stage. Nextbox is as mentioend above just a rebranding of the exisiting PVRs.

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
ltaschner

@ GDKitty

The PVRs does not play any role in the streaming. You need to download the Rogers Live TV app for that. Once that is installed on your iPad or Android tablet, you are authorized to watch live TV (granted you are a Rogers customer)

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Meowmix
Agreed. After speaking around 20+ tech support reps & a few store reps they all told me its just the same box with a different same so they could start getting people to sign up with Rogers. All those features you see on the Netbox you are able to get with the HD Box & the 8642 HD PVR box that Rogers offers.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

@

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Meowmix
Either have i. I looked on the website & i also just called Rogers tech support & they could not find any info if the box supports DLNA or not.

Agreed the software / firmware that Rogers has does not support it at the time like Gdkitty said.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: MyRogers Update

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications