Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Questions about the forced switch from Analog to digital.

I've Been Here Awhile
Leftrightother
Ok so my parents who are seniors and have been with Rogers for 35 years plus got a letter saying that they will have to switch their cable from analog to digital. The letter also said that Rogers would give them the Cisco dta50 boxes for the tvs. They use a PVR (not Rogers) and will need an extra box so that they can record one show while watching another. When I went into a Rogers plus store they said they could only get the same amount of boxes that they have lines for. When I asked if we could buy the extra boxes the guy said no that they are just to give them to people and he did not think he could sell us one. The guy at the store told me that he thought could buy the extra boxes from Best buy but they do not carry them. I have talked to them about getting the Rogers PVR but they like TiVo better (can't blame them) and do not want to pay $500 Plus for a new one. So my questions are: How do we get the extra Cisco dta50 boxes? (I have no problem paying for them) What extra cost would there be? (They all ready pay for four lines if we have five boxes can we just use a splitter?)
Please use plain text.

Re: Questions about the forced switch from Analog to digital.

Resident Expert
Pauly
Think of the DTA adaptors as a FREE way to migrate off analog, you received them so you are fine. You said you WANT to purchase a extra device for PVR functions? why not just hop into a best buy or future shop and buy a PVR device? I hate to break it to you but the old PVR devices you had, though were probaly inexpensive, may no longer work on rogers digital cable, so you are pretty much have to give in now, you can always buy one second hand from someone thruogh a buy and sale classifieds such as kajiji or ebay or such.

if you can't get a dta box, they might be hard to buy because they could have allocated them for customers migrating off analog, you can easily buy a regular set top box, i picked up the scientific atlanta set top box for 40 dollars, and I own it, not renting, its mine. you can easily look for such deals.
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly
the differences between the cisco dta50 and a regular stb is that if you use the cisco dta50, you will only get the channels you had on analogue, if you use a regular stb, such as scientific atlantic, you will get all the digital channels as per your package.
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
grrr

Does the free Cisco box output BTSC stereo RF, or just mono?

• If it's mono I'm cancelling for ATSC+Netflix+Web
  • If it's stereo I'll stay with Rogers.
  • The BTSC patents have expired, and it's free at the manufacturing level to include RF stereo.

I've searched, and even the Cisco data sheet doesn't mention mono or stereo, but one random web post suggests mono.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Leftrightother
"You said you WANT to purchase a extra device for PVR functions? why not just hop into a best buy or future shop and buy a PVR device?"

Thanks for the input the reason we don't go buy a pvr is cause we already own one that is far better than the rogers one. On the Tivo boards there has been a few people that has already got their Tivo's to work with the DTA adaptor. As for me getting a STB that is an idea I am going to have to look into. What model do you have?

Since the letters just came out this week the staff at the rogers stores are not full trained yet. I went in to ask questions about this and all they kept saying is sorry I don't know.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly
i understand you own one, the one you own is ANALOGUE. you can still get your tivio to work with the dta, you just wil only have the ability to tune one channel at a time now, no more 2 tuner recordings. this was known to happen when analog being shut off not sure why you waited this long to realize this?
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
wr

You mentioned that you purchased a Scientific Atlanta set top box for about $40.

Could you mention a store that might sell them.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
wr

Does the set top box that Rogers supplies, I believe it is the Cisco DTA 50, do the same as a digital to analog converter such as the HomeWorx ATSC Digital Converter Box (HW100STB)?

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly

try the source... by circuit city, or try Wal mart, future shop, and even best buy.  They often go on sale for 40-50 bucks.  I was lucky to buy the last 2 from the Source... by circuit city by my house.  even when its not on sale its generally $10-20 more, still worth it, you OWN them, never have to pay additional for rent.

The Homeworx is probaly for over the air antenna signals, where the rogers one is for your cable account, they not interchangable, rogers uses Cisco/Scientific atlantic equipment and they must be registered with csr

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
Demonz

I would wait this out a bit. I don't think annalog will go dead at all.

It's just Rogers trying to get more money saying this big lie "you have to switch over to digital"

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Resident Expert: Lurker

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications