Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

Explorer 8300HD Making Clicking Noises

I've Been Here Awhile
sibleys

I have an Explorer 8300HD - we bought it two years ago from Rogers. It has recently started making clicking sounds while we watch TV. The clicking noise is continous when a show is being recorded. We have restarted and power cycled the PVR without any success. We suspect the hard drive is about to fail.

Two questions - does anyone know a fix for this? If it is dying, will Rogers provide a replacement or is it too late for that?

Thanks in Advance,

Heather

Please use plain text.

Re: Explorer 8300HD Making Clicking Noises

Resident Expert
Chris
Yep sounds like the Harddrive. It could still last quite a while before failing I lived with mine for a year like that.

It is fairly easy to replace the HardDrive, you'll need a #10 torx security screwdriver and a new IDE Harddrive. You can get up to 500GB drive to replace it with which will give you more than twice the storage. Check out digital forums canada for more info on specific HDD models that work. I used a WesternDigital drive. I forget the model. Once you put it in your pvr will detect it and format. Then you will need to power off and on again. Then it will work. And the annoying ticking will be gone.
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
sibleys

Glad to hear that changing the hard drive is easy - thanks for the reply.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Chris
Here's some more info.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: MyRogers Update

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications