TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
Accepted Solution

Explorer 8300HD Making Clicking Noises

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile

I have an Explorer 8300HD - we bought it two years ago from Rogers. It has recently started making clicking sounds while we watch TV. The clicking noise is continous when a show is being recorded. We have restarted and power cycled the PVR without any success. We suspect the hard drive is about to fail.

Two questions - does anyone know a fix for this? If it is dying, will Rogers provide a replacement or is it too late for that?

Thanks in Advance,

Heather

***Edited labels***

Re: Explorer 8300HD Making Clicking Noises

Resident Expert
Yep sounds like the Harddrive. It could still last quite a while before failing I lived with mine for a year like that.

It is fairly easy to replace the HardDrive, you'll need a #10 torx security screwdriver and a new IDE Harddrive. You can get up to 500GB drive to replace it with which will give you more than twice the storage. Check out digital forums canada for more info on specific HDD models that work. I used a WesternDigital drive. I forget the model. Once you put it in your pvr will detect it and format. Then you will need to power off and on again. Then it will work. And the annoying ticking will be gone.

I've Been Here Awhile

Glad to hear that changing the hard drive is easy - thanks for the reply.

Resident Expert

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem and was told the hard drives are not longer available. Can I simply disconnect the hard drive and use as a digital box?  Of can I disconnect the internal hard drive and use a external hard drive?

Resident Expert

I know a fair number of people who have said, that when their drive had failed, they were still able to use it just as a digital box.. should be fine that way, as far as i know.

While the unit CAN work with an extender.. i am not sure, if it would work ONLY with one, or that if the internal is necessary as well.

The replacement drives.. are much harder to find now though..

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148785&cm_re=hard_drive_ide-_-22-148-785-_-P...

The few you may find, are refurbished, etc.. at least at any BIG BOX or biger retailer.
BEST bet, is if you have any PRIVATELY owned computer stores near by.. they are more likely to have one sitting around which might work.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you.  I was at a private computer store and they told me to simply disconect the power to the hard drive.  I did this, but now when I try to sue the 8300box, I only get a hand full of channels not my entire package.

Any ideas?

Resident Expert

It looks like it's working like a digital adapter, only showing the basic cable channels. See if you can re-authorize the box.

BTW, it is possible to replace the IDE drive with a SATA drive using an adapter. There is a whole thread on Digital Home on adapting newer hard drives to the 8300. Since you've already been inside to unplug the power to the suspected drive, you already have the tamperproof Torx bit.

There are also threads here on the subject.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

I Plan to Stick Around

I have two 8 year old SA8300HDs. The one I use myself is still using the original 160G HDD (I rarely record 2 things at once and never record 2 and watch a prerecored 3rd) while the one my son uses has had 3 drives installed (he is always recording 2 things at once and quite often watches a prerecorded 3rd program).  Right now he has a 500G Western Digital AV drive installed in his unit. Last year when IDE (PATA) drive were getting hard to find I picked up a spare WD 320G. I just checked and I see Tiger Direct Canada are still listing 160 and 250G Western Digital 'Blue" drives. Since the 160 is only $60, it might worth a try.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert

I replaced my 8300's hard drive about a year ago with a WD Blue 320GB IDE from newegg.ca. At the time, I found them on neweggca, tigerdirect.ca, and Canada Computers.

When the original Maxtor drive failed, my 8300HD worked as a normal cable box without any issues.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation