Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD using HDMI to Denon AVR-1612

I've Been Here Awhile
Sysfrog

I recently bought a Denon AVR-1612.  It has 5 x HDMI inputs and 1 x HDMI output. (among other inputs)

I connected the HDMI output of the Explorer 8300HD, which was previously connected to my Pansonic TV (and working), to the HDMI input in the receiver and connected the HDMI output of the Denon AVR-1612 to the Panasonic TV.  

For some reason, this does NOT work.

However, I have been successful if re-hooking up the HDMI from the Explorer 8300 HD to the Panasonic TV and audio connection from the Explorer 8300HD to the Denon AVR-1612.  In this scenario, I can use the speakers attached to the Denon AVR-1612.

I do not want to use this setup long term, because if I want to use the speakers attached to my Denon for my DVD player (attached to the Denon via HDMI), I have to switch HDMI cables (remove HDMI connected to Explorer 8300 HD and attach HDMI connected to output of the Denon AVR-1612)  which is a big pain.

My question is, how can I get the Explorer 8300 HD =====>HDMI======>AVR-1612 to work?

Regards..................Elliot

Please use plain text.

Re: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD using HDMI to Denon AVR-1612

Resident Expert
Pauly

It might be an HDMI handshake issue. The devices need to turn on in a specific order for the HDMI to negociate a "handshake" with each device.  Try changing the order of how you turn on the devices, you have 3x3=9 possible ways to turn on your TV system, perhaps one order may yeild valid results? if not please report back and we can try to assist further.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Chris
Sounds like a handshake issue to me too.. The 8300HD is bad at that part.. I have one connected though my Denon to my Panasonic just fine.. But I believe i need the Panasonic on first then the Denon then the 8300HD.
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Sysfrog

I have been unsuccesful in the power on sequence.

I send in some email to Denon and this what came back:

"What you are experiencing is an HDMI syncing issue. Connecting directly to the television uses what is called an HDMI send and sync connection, and when you connect using a receiver it is called HDMI repeating technology, and as such bypassing the receiver doesn't actually tell us much. The issue you are experiencing is most likely the result of the set top box (pvr) not properly supporting repeating functionality. There are a couple of options I can suggest. You can contact the cable/sat provider and they may be able to provide you with what's called a repeater flag firmware update. If that is not available through your cable/sat company I would recommend connecting using component video and digital optical in place of the HDMI. This will provide the same video and audio quality as the
HDMI and will not result in the HDMI syncing issues of the type you have experienced."

Is there some kind of repeater flag firmware update for the Explorer 8300 HD or some other STB that Rogers has that has this capability?

Thanks in advance.................Elliot

Please use plain text.
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications