Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Digital basic package versus the VIP Package

I've Been Here Awhile
cqiu

We are currently using the VIP Package (have Channel 36 Fairchild TV) but it is wayyyy to expensive, considering our family doesn't even watch that much TV anymore. I was wondering if anyone with the digital basic package could let me know if they receive channel 36 (Chinese FairChild TV channel) as that's pretty much the only channel we're interested as well as CBC,CTV, CP24 (but i think that;s included already). I live in the Markham area, so if anyone in that area with the digital basic package knows, please reply. Thanks.

PS.I've tried calling in to ask, but the people seems clueless...they keep telling me that CHannel 36 is much more music...which it isn;t for us. ...I've been reading forums that ex-Shaw cable customers and Markham/Scarborough customers receive FAIRCHILD TV CHannel 36 for free??? Is that true??

Also for some reason, we have the SD rental box removed (unplugged) from TV....So does that make a difference of what channels we receive? What's the purpose of the SD rental box?

Please use plain text.

Re: Digital basic package versus the VIP Package

I've Been Around
Hobo

I have Basic Cable and Cable Plus Combo and I receive Fairchild (on channels 36, 801 and 802).  I can even watch chan 36 without the SD box.   Not sure if I can stil receive Chan 36 if I cancel the Cable Plus Combo, though. 

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile
cqiu

Is cable plus combo the same as digital plus package?

I used to be able to watch Ch36 fairchild without SD, but starting yesterday (Aug 30) I could no longer receive fair child TV channel on my upstairs TV{(which has no SD box)..Is this the same case for you?

Please use plain text.

Digital basic package

I've Been Around
manusa

I used to have TV5 (channel 35) in my Digital basic line-ups. Since last Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2011 each time I put on TV5 (French international channel) there is display Not authorized and asking me to call a number to order it. There was any notice what so ever from Rogers. It is also interesting to mention that TV5 is still in channel lining up in Digital basic package!

I live inKanata, On. I wonder if someone experienced the same thing and please tell me what to do.

Please use plain text.

Re: Digital basic package

I've Been Around
fontace

They have removed TV5 from the Digital Basic package without any notice. I called them about that and someone told me that "TV5 was never supposed to be included in the Digital Basic package for my area (Ottawa)". I explained that I had this channel for months and he replied that nobody at Rogers paid attention to the mistake until recently... and they removed the channel right away. And yes, TV5 is still included in the Basic package on the website. That does not make any sense because TV5 is supported by the Canadian and Quebec governments so it should be available in the basic package. Plus the "my area" argument is stupid, does it mean that nobody speaks French in Ottawa, why not removing Radio Canada or Tele Quebec then?! I have been told that I must upgrate to the Digital Plus package if I want to get TV5 back... so it's all about the money, why should I pay more than 15$ just to get TV5 back??! Why did we not receive any notice? I want my TV5 back... it was (and it is still) included in the channel list when I signed up!

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
Grover

Same thing happened to me. I had been receiving TV5 for FOUR YEARS at two different addresses with basic cable. When I called about it disappearing and insisted it was even still on the website, the first person told me what I was saying wasn't true (i.e., I was lying), and then literally hung up on me because he didn't want to deal with the conversation. After speaking to SIX people I finally got a manager who told me that even if TV5 was indeed on the basic lineup on the website, I was lucky I didn't get charged for the past four years of THEIR "error". The arrogance is absolutely astounding. As is the lie. Because, you see, it wasn't an error at all. Recent CRTC rulings state that TV5 (among others) is not a "must carry" station. Once that became official, Rogers was bound to get rid of it and replace it with more of the myriad trash channels that make up 90% of basic programming. So pop out your wallet if you want quality. It's all lowest common denominator in Rogersland.

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
karenval

It is still on the website, i do not watch that channel but i would write to here:

and insist you get the channel free for at least a year - it has not been taken off the site so they should have to honour it.

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/contactus

go to make a complaint.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
cqiu

Can you still view channel 36 without the SD box?

I recently tried to go to basic, so see if I can see ch 36, it turns out, no but now I can't seem to watch ch 36 without the SD box.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Meowmix
without the SD Box you can not watch 31-35 & on. Sometimes they might let you watch like channel 51 or some others but not a lot of them. You need the SD box in order to watch channel 31.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Fairchild for Free? (Re: Digital Basic package versus the VIP Package)

I Plan to Stick Around
Speedy1701

Hi.

Can those with free Fairchild mention which city they are from?

In Mississauga, Ontario (just outside Toronto), we have to pay ... a lot.

But I believe it's free in Markham/Scarborough, which I don't think it's fair considering where not that geographically far apart, and there is a large Chinese populatuion in Mississauga as well.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Spotlight: Connnecting my Wireless Printer to the Hitron CGN3

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications