Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

8300HD PVR FAIL Message and Rebooting

Resident Expert
jimboden

Had an odd experience with an 8300 last night. When the time came to record a program, I noticed the record light wasn’t on. I have seen this a couple of other times and a reboot fixes it. I rebooted and close to the end, the display showed FAIL. Despite that, it came up and started recording my program. After about a minute, the box started rebooting on its own. The FAIL message showed up at least one more time. The interesting thing was the box rebooted itself at least 6 more times before it finally got back to normal. I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this problem and what the FAIL message means.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Re: 8300HD PVR FAIL Message and Rebooting

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Seen people say they have had the fail message before a variety of things.. dead HDD.. other internal fairure, etc.
Best i have ever found of a listing of what the error codes mean, is that its a general failure on something starting up, and to reboot.

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/Support.aspx?SupportArticleID=3224

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
OLDYELLR

Have a look at the dianostic screens to see if any errors or bad sectors show up.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Please click on the "thumb" if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
jimboden

Thanks for your input gentlemen. This isn't the first time it's acted a little strange. When I put it back in use after sitting around for 3 months, I had to reformat the hard drive. Just haven't seen the FAIL thing before. I will take a look at the diagnostics too.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
zekecb

Tried resetting digital box this morning...now it continually tries to boot, the tv will start to show, then clicks off and says "fail".

I think, I will call Rogers on this matter....sounds like hard drive could be bad.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
jimboden

zekecb:

I had the same issue for a while and it turned out to be the hard drive. Here's a thread on it which might help: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
OLDYELLR

zekecb wrote:

Tried resetting digital box this morning...now it continually tries to boot, the tv will start to show, then clicks off and says "fail".

I think, I will call Rogers on this matter....sounds like hard drive could be bad.

Is this a rental from Rogers? If so, then Rogers has to fix it. If you got it from Shopping Channel, there's a 2-year warranty.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Please click on the "thumb" if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Rental = Then rogers job to replace it.  Will likely replace with an 8642 or a 9865.  (the 9865 has some surround sound audio issues.. but if you dont need that, its a MUCH faster box than the 8642.

If its bought recently (like Oldyellr said from the shopping channel) usually has a 2 year warranty.

If bought, past the 2 years point... then your out of luck...
If its just the hard drive... there are ways of self replacing it.

If its more... your looking at buying a new unit.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around
bla2342342342

I had a similar message on my 8300HD PVR when I did a reformat due to dropped frames while watching video (which I still see with my Next Box 3.0).

If it's a rental, as mentioned, Rogers will swap it out for a Next Box 2.0 (8642) or Next Box 3.0 (9865).

If it's a purchase, and is from The Shopping Channel, Rogers has an internal memo stating that you'll be "upgraded" to a Next Box 2.0.  The unfortunate part is that retail stores received a memo stating that the 8642 will be removed from the retail level about two weeks ago and that they're not getting any more units.  This means they'll have to send a tech out to do the swap (my tech showed up without the promised box TWICE). 

Rogers has discontinued support for the 8300HD.  If it's an owned box out of warranty, the diagnostic screens may help determine what the issue is -- if it's the drive, you can replace this pretty easily on your own if you have the proper TORX tool (and google the instructions elsewhere).  If it's the hardware, think about other options.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
loki7654546

For the fail and reboot every minute problem, try this:

1. Unplug the cable box from the wall

2. Unplug cable from the back of cable box.

3. Plug cable box back in

4. Wait for it to boot. Turn on monitor/TV.  Should see CISCO screen.

5. After a minute or two, it will say something like your box has been authorized to play back recorded shows.

6. Hit the view button and see if you videos are there (optional)

7. Plug the cable back in to the back of the cable box. My tv channels started working right away and the clock updated.

The Rogers tech told my wife the box was fried and we had to get a new one. But no, it's just a network problem, which should be pretty clear because it was resetting every time after showing 30 seconds of tv. Anyways, unit works just fine other than this silly thing that happens every time the power goes out. Hope it helps some people out there.

Please use plain text.
Welcome

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count