Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

How do i Connect VCR/DVD player and computer to nextbox?

I've Been Around
csteeper

This is my first time ever posting on a forum. I apologize if I am in the wrong place for my concern. I have searched all through the site and can’t find the answers.

I have a 20 year old Sony Trinitron TV and just negotiated a new package with Rogers that is even better than what Bell was offering (cost wise). I am not very computer literate but I do setup any of the new devices in our home unless I am forced to use a Roger’s Tech visit.

Anyway, I now have a Nextbox 3.0 and it is working well. However, I have 2 questions.

1. How to hook up my DVD/Video player since there is only one coax cable from the wall to the nextbox and I used the Video and audio outputs to connect to the TV. So now I have no more outlets for my DVD/Video player. Is it possible to even hook it up and use it?
  2. I have an HP Pavilion dv5 Entertainment PC and it has:
    1. an external monitor port for VGA monitor hookup
    2. An RJ-45 (network) jack – I have a wireless home network
    3. An HDMI port, although the port is smaller than what is on the Nextbox
    4. An eSATA/USB port

Is it possible to hook up and watch the movies from my computer on the TV?

Thanks for any info even if it is “take a hike”.

Please use plain text.

Re: How do i Connect VCR/DVD player and computer to nextbox?

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Guessing its a little bit older of a TV then? That it only has the one basic video input? (as well as the coax).

Doesnt have any HDMI, etc?

If you are using the single video input (with the two audio) (not the 3 video component connection), you would only bet getting an SD signal. 
Component or HDMI would give you and HD signal.. but if your tv doesnt have it..

ONLY config i can see.. which MIGHT work..

VCR into your TVs coax in..   This should allow you to play/watch any stuff on tape already.  TV will just need to be on the TV input, on channel 3.
If the VCR has a video IN on it.. plug the DVD player into that.
Then to watch a DVD would need the TV on TV tuner channel 3, the VCR on and changed to the INPUT.. and then play from the DVD.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
jimboden

csteeper:

Welcome to the forums!

Considering that you have a 20 year old TV, you don't have many choices owing to its lack of connections. If I understand correctly, the TV only has one A/V input, which you have connected to the Nextbox. I think the simplest solution would be to get a switch box that accepts multiple A/V inputs with one A/V output that goes to your TV. That way, you can connect your VCR/DVD player and the Nextbox to the switch box, then switch between the 2 inputs. You should be able to find something like that at The Source or a similar type of store..

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
csteeper

Okay,  I'll see if that will work.  I do appreciate your help. Sincerely Carol

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
csteeper

I have to get my head around that one.  My main problem is that my husband is not prepared to buy an HD TV until the sony conks out.  So I will just have to make do.

I think I may have Indavertantly posted only half my post.  Sorry, I will get the hang of it.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Jims option would work as well.

I didnt mention it.. as i didnt want to get another piece of hardware involved.

You would want, as Jim mentioned, something like this:
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=AVSelectors&produ...

It would then have 5 sets of connections on the back.  4 inputs... where you would go one from device (nextbox, vcr, dvd) into the inputs

Then out of the output, into the TV.

Then, you would never have to change inputs on the TV.. just hit the button for the corisponding device on the switch box.

WHEN he is up to chaning TV's.. they usually will have multiple inputs on them to allow more into the TV.

As well.. might be pleasantly supprised, by how big of a difference the picture quality will be on a new TV, in high definition.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
csteeper

You are so right about my TV, Gdkitty.  It has none of the bells and whistles but it just won’t die. 

I just checked out my TV though and there is an S-Video in and the DVD/Video player has an S-Video out.  Could I use that to connect to my TV?  Of course I would have to buy the cable. 

I also mistakenly marked my 2 question post as solved. Duh :smileyembarrassed:  Blame it on my age, 67!  If I could hook up my computer to the nextbox I would be so happy.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
jimboden

csteeper:

Yes, your S-Video will definitely work. Get a cable and you should be good to go. Much more straight forward than a switch box alternative. Also, S-Video will provide better picture quality than the video connector.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Yup, as jim said, svideo will be fine :smileyhappy:  Just connect the audio for it as well, and your good to go.

As for the computer?

There is NO inputs on the nextbox itself.
Inputs will always go into a TV (or a surround sound system), but next to never into a COMPONENT like a dvd player, etc.
(though i guess the new xbox one is the exception :smileytongue:).

For a computer to connect to the TV.. the computer usually will have one or more of:
VGA, HDMI, Mini HDMI, Display port.

Now.. you can do some converting around here..can do display port to HDMI or VGA.  mini HDMI to HDMI. 

HDMI to DVI even (as some older HDTVs have a DVI HD input on them).

But unless your TV has one of those inputs.. your pretty much stuck.
You can sometimes buy special adapter blocks.. which would convert from PC to say regular video outputs..but they can get a little pricey..
Better off saving your pennies for a newer TV instead, which would connect to everything with zero issues.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
csteeper

Thank you Jim and Gdkitty for your help.  I'll just have to work on my husband for a new TV.  :smileylol:  I'll give your suggestions a go as far as the DVD/Video player is concerned.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Community Recognitions - August 2014

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications