Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

PVR Disk Storage error

I've Been Here Awhile
B2438

The following message has been appearing when I try to access recorded programs:

Disk trouble

There are problems with the program storage disk

Recording and playback are not available at this time

I've tried rebooting as recommended but to no avail.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Please use plain text.

Re: PVR Disk Storage error

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Likely means the hard drive is gone/going on the unit :smileysad:

Which will mean, one way or the other.. that the recordings are gone.

Is it a rental or owned unit?
If rental.. you can take in, and exchange for a new PVR. 
A purchased.. you can look at some of the options of replacing the drive yourself.. or look at buying a new unit.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
B2438

My fears confirmed ;-( Thanks for the info!

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
john70

I had the same problem and a Rogers technical support guy told me the same thing, that the hard drive is gone and that I have to buy a new PVR. I kept rebooting the thing until...it started to work again! A few days later, again the same problem. I rebooted it again and now it works again! On other forums, people complained about similar symptoms, but related this problem to a weak signal problem.

It seems to me that Rogers is trying to make people buy the new Nextbox 3.0. People should start complaining to CRTC. Anyways, don't buy a new PVR, just replace the hard drive! Also, start complaining to the Competition Bureau. It's unacceptable that cable companies are allowed to have a monopoly on the sale of PVRs in Canada. Rogers (& Bell & others) already has a monopoly on the sale of cell phones and PVRs. What's next? Are we gonna be allowed to buy TV sets only from the cable companies? Or even better, from broadcasters only (same as Rogers and Bell).

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Thats one of the standard messages when a HDD goes.

While it could be other things.. its usually the first thing to troubleshoot.

A HDD replacement, is probably the cheaper way to go.. but some technical knoledge needed. (as well, the hard drives for the OLD pvrs are getting harder to find).

Some people are not comfortable with that.. and buying a new one, is the easier thing to do.  But each are valid options.  Whatever the person is most cofortable with.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
Alejod79

I have the same problem. Now, I have a contract for two years, still 8 months to go. They gave me the PVR when I signed the contract, so, the PVR is in "Warranty" or I have to buy a new one? When they gave me this PVR they told me that could be used, refurbished or something else.

Thanks

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
OLDYELLR

I just bought a refurbished 8300HD PVR from The Shopping Channel and it has a 2-year warranty. I would presume if you have a rental PVR with on a 2-year contract, it would be waranteed for the duration of the contract.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Please click on the ; if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

It is a rental for that period
(I beleive, its under the 'rent to own' catagory.. and they can buy it out for $1 at the end of their contract)

Give a call in to support first, and they can put a note in the account, that it needs to be replaced.  You should be able to go into any store and swap it.  They may be able to arange a tech to come out and do it as well.

Yes, will any of those boxes, they come out of the rental pool.. so they could be used/refurb.

Please use plain text.

Rogers Employee
GRtechJason
Error message usually means bad sectors on the HDD, and yes if not dead on its way to shortly being dead. You can try an external, haven't tried that myself yet.
I am a third party field technician, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un technicien indépendant, et mes commentaires personnels ne représentent pas nécessairement la vision de Rogers ou des sociétés de son groupe.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
OLDYELLR

If the internal HDD dies, what happens with the recordings on the external drive? Would they be recoverable if the internal HDD is replaced?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Please click on the ; if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications