Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Explorer 8300HD Making Clicking Noises and Fail message

I've Been Here Awhile
sob

We have a Rogers  Scientific Atlantic 8300hd PVR.

Just recently it has been giving us issues.  Sometimes when watching recorded shows or live TV, the picture would freeze or stutter before resuming.  Also sometimes we here a clicking sound from the PVR.  Occasionally we see the message FAIL show up on the PVR.  At that point we have to shut off the PVR and let it reboot.

Anyone had a similar issue?   Is the hard drive failing?  Is worth getting repaired or should we consider replacing it with a new model?

Thanks,

Sanjay

Please use plain text.

Re: Explorer 8300HD Making Clicking Noises and Fail message

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Likely with the other problem.. and the clicking sound.. thats the hard drive locking up.

As for your options..

You can get the drive replaced in it.  You can find a place local that may do it (rogers will not repair it), or there are instructions on how to do it yourself available online.

Replacing it is always an option as well.
Big thing with replacing it.. is all the newer boxes (the 8642 and the newer 9865), all have the NEW guide format..
May want to take a look at someone you may know on rogers who has the new format guide and see if you like it.
If you dont, you would be better to repair your 8300.

If getting new, best just to skip the 8642 and go to the 9865.

The 9865 has actually 8 tuners in it.  You can record/watch up to 8 things all at once (vs 2 on all the other models)
It also has a much bigger drive which will store alot more recordings as well.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
sob

Thanks for the info. 

I am getting a quote to see the cost of the repair.  I briefly read about other people replacing the hard drive.  I have replaced hard drives in computers in the past so I don't think that would be an issue.  The only thing I have heard is that you might need special software from the provider (i.e: Rogers) on that hard drive in order for it to work.  So that might be a problem.

I also looked at getting the new model.  I assume that is the Netbox 3.0 that Rogers seems to be selling.  Of course the price is always a factor.  $500 right now.  I guess these things rarely ever go down in price so no use waiting for Christmas or boxing day sales.

Thanks,

Sanjay

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

The software part is easy.. you can call in and they can just push it back out to the box.

TRICK may be finding a hard drive for it.  Not positive, but it may max out on a 320g.. so cant put a bigger one in... as well, you need to find an IDE one, not a SATA.

Generally no these do not go on sale... back in the days when you saw Bestbuy, etc selling them, etc.. sometimes, but most store no longer do anymore.

They do sell refurbished units of the 8300 on the shopping network.
http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/Rogers/Digital-Cable/Rogers-SA8300-High-Definition-PVR-Refurbished...

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
JWBF
If you are in Toronto give a shout to "BigJug". http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/813390
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
sob
Just to give an update. I did a hard reboot of my PVR. Now when I try to access my hard drive I get a personal video recorder not ready. Your device is checked. Please wait.

This message disappears but keeps coming up when I try to access the hard drive. It's been like this for an hour now. I wanted to do a reformat of the hard drive but I am unable to.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Yeah.. seems like the box is likely OK.. but the hard drive is toast..
with the hard drive dead, it will often do sometimes the BASIC functions, but even advanced stuff would not be accessible like formatting.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
cbyyz
For what it is worth you can upsize the drive to 500G (or larger depending on the box - make sure you are replacing with the same interface drive - IDE or SATA. When you plug the box back in leave it overnight and it sorts itself out. A very easy job for about $80-100. The tough part is getting into the box because o the security Torx screws.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
jimboden

cbyyz:

Good advice, but how did you determine that the 8300 will accept anything larger than a 500GB drive? As far as I know, it will not accept SATA or, if it does, it's not reliable. I recently replaced a dead 9 year old Maxtor 160GB  with a Western Digital Blue 320GB IDE drive and it works great. The biggest hassle for me was finding the Torx security bits, which I eventually got at Home Depot. Replacing the drive was very simple and it only took a few reboots for the box to recognize the new drive, all-in-all no more than half an hour.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Introducing - *New* Members to Rogers Resident Experts

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors