Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Re: 8 Tuner PVR?

I Plan to Stick Around
nav2004

I just started renting the Cisco 8642 PVR box with the $15 rental waived. So I called Rogers and went all the way upto Customer Relations(a.k.a L&R), but they would not budge on waiving the additional $2.50 that it costs to rent Nextbox 3.0.

I reasoned with them that I just had this 2.0 installed 3 weeks back and the offer was to waive the equipment rental and he started to list off the features saying it has 1 TB HDD, you can record upto 8 programs. I explained that I don't care for all of those and just find the lag when flipping channels annoying. If they fixed that in the current box, then I would not even want the 3.0.

But he did not budge, so I am going to be stuck with this till I switch to Bell. To me, a new product should not remove the nice features of a previous product. In the good old tube TV days with no boxes, the channels would flip fast. And now with so called fast network etc, the tech support gives me the reason for the lag as the new guide when all along it was the crappy hardware in 2.0 as proved by the new hardware in 3.0.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile
edj_01

I just called in to ask if I could go to a Rogers store to exchange the 2.0 PVR to the new 3.0 PVR, the telephone CSR claimed that it is not possible to do a straight exchange. I need to have a technician come over to install the new 3.0 box. I mentioned that I already have had the Whole Home PVR feature installed with the MoCA filters, and why do I need a tech to come swap/install the new box?

She claimed that it is due to the new way/different setup the 3.0 PVR connects to their system and that it would be a free visit for me, as I have already paid previously for the installation of the Whole Home PVR.

I am wondering, how is it possible that some of you guys were able to just swap it on your own, or has anyone else been given the same info?

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Chris

It's possible because neither the phone agents nor the store agents were informed or educated on the new product. I see no reason why you can't just swap it. But then again I saw no reason why I couldn't install the moca filter myself either.

I really just brought in my old pvr (just the box, no remote or cables) they handed my a new box after scanning both bar codes and checking my id.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
Jeffrey

Sorry about that,

Yes, you can swap your 8642 PVR for a 9865HD PVR at a participating Rogers store, however, an agent may reccomend a technician if the signal readings are low or other service affecting  issues are identified.

Please remember to bring the power cord with the PVR because the new 9865HD PVR has a different power adaptor. Also keep in mind that you will lose the recordings on the PVR and/or a PVR extender.

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
jimboden

Just tried my Nextbox 3.0 and am totally baffled by the way it does recordings. On my 8300, I always had an option to record all episodes of something on a certain day, etc., but I can't find a similar feature on the Nextbox. There is a default PVR setting, but the only options available are in "series", whatever that means. I tried recording what I consider to be a series on HBO, but it only set it up for one occurrence even though I modifed all the series settings to record everything. Also, I've seen some comments here about setting it to 1080P and I've looked at every setting on the box and don't see it. So far, I'm not impressed with the user interface, at least for setting up recordings. The 8300 is much more straight forward and easy to use, for me, anyway. One other odd thing is there's no picture when the box powers on. I have to push the live button to get a picture, which at least does show the last channel I was watching.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
Recording a 'series' yes is for set up to record all of one TV series. (Either all episodes, all new, etc). I think you have to set this channel or all channels.
If you are looking at the 'scheduled' list, you will only see recordings for today, sometimes the next day, you won't see it showing all the upcoming ones in the week, till the day it's due.
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
jimboden

Gdkitty:

Thanks for the info about looking at scheduled programs. That differs completely from the 8300, so I have learned at least one new thing today. I'm still confused about what constitutes a "series' though. I downloaded Rogers' user manual, but it's not up-to-date for the Nextbox 3 yet. For example, the manual says you can schedule 2 recordings at the same time, so the manual appears to be for Nextbox 2. A simple example of something I want to record 7 days a week is CTV News at 6. I knew how to do it on the 8300, but can't figure it out on the Nextbox. Guess I'll just keep trying different things until it does what I want. I think the implementation of setting up recordings is confusing. Instead of having some global setting which governs everything, it should be possible to select an option right at the time you schedule a recording, just like the 8300 does.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around
Tmothy12

Does the 8642 have slow motion playback too?

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
I don't set most of the recordings, so going off the top of my head.

I thought when you say select a show on there, you can choose to record, or from there record the series, tune to that channel now, etc.

For what constitutes a series... Lets use deadliest catch as an example.
You choose as a series for it, it will record all with tha same titles listing. Weither all, new, etc is based on settings.
This will only record stuff set as deadliest catch. They have their specials which are called "deadliest catch: something something". As its named differently, it will not auto record that one.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
jimboden
Gdkitty:

Thanks for all that. What you're saying is anything can be treated as a series as long as the guide name is always the same, which makes sense. I just need to try a few things to get the hang of it, as it's so different from what I'm used to. Aside from a few things I need to get better at, I quite like the Nextbox 3 so far. It's really quiet compared to the 8300 which was always making hard drive noises.
Please use plain text.
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications