TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

[ Edited ]

Thinking of jumping up to a 4K TV soon. I know there's not a lot channels available, but want to upgrade my equipment anyway. I'm also getting worried about my current Nextbox 3 PVR as it's starting to make mechanical noises and worried it will die soon.

Is the Nextbox 4K essentially the same PVR, same software etc.. as the Nextbox 3 PVR, except for the ability to record 4K? Or are there different features,strange issues, things missing from Nextbox 3 etc.. to worry about?

***Edited Labels***

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

Good afternoon @nkay,

Thanks for reaching out today! I'd be happy to answer your question here.

In this case, the 4K PVR is for all intents and purposes the same as the Nextbox 3.0 except it has the ability to access 4K content.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert

Hello @nkay

The only difference is that the 4K PVR box is a newer model made by Technicolour vs the NextBox 3.0 is made by Cisco ( Technicolour owns Cisco). Also the difference as well is u can view 4K containt on The 4K PVR box and record 4K sports or shows vs on the NextBox 3.0 u can not do that.

I also noticed the 4K PVR box is a bit faster then the NextBox 3.0.

I would go with the 4K PVR box for sure.

[ Edited ]
I'm a Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am thinking of upgrading to that box as a new TV is on the horizon. Question, will a 4K TV work OK with the NextBox 3.0 (minus the 4K channels of course)?

Peter
Toronto

Resident Expert

Hello @pmcsplaza

Yes it will! It will work exactly like the NextBox 3.0 but without the 4K containt to watch and record in 4K. It will be just a normal PVR box with the extra 4K feature if needed later on.

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around

[ Edited ]

I think what @pmcsplaza was asking was whether or not a 4K TV would function with a Nextbox 3.0. The answer is definitely yes, minus the 4K channels of course. We know from experience, having bought a 4K TV before exchanging our Nextbox 3.0 for the 4K PVR. It should also be noted that the 4K PVR has double the storage over Nextbox 3.0 - 2 TB vs 1 TB.  

Resident Expert

Hello @pmcsplaza

Yes that is correct. My mistake I read it wrong. Of course the 4K PVR box will work with the NextBox 3.0 without any issues!?Smiley Happy.

LOL, thanks.

Peter
Toronto

Dugi wrote:

I think what @pmcsplaza was asking was whether or not a 4K TV would function with a Nextbox 3.0. The answer is definitely yes, minus the 4K channels of course. We know from experience, having bought a 4K TV before exchanging our Nextbox 3.0 for the 4K PVR. It should also be noted that the 4K PVR has double the storage over Nextbox 3.0 - 2 TB vs 1 TB.  

2 TB - I didn't realise, nice ;-)   Does it still accept an external drive?

Peter
Toronto

Resident Expert

Hello @pmcsplaza

Yes it does! But you have to talk to Rogers to get the correct one as not all external HD will work

Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 in conversation