Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Rogers Network Status page

I've Been Here Awhile
andmalc

Last time I checked Rogers did not have a dedicated Network Status page - is this still true (I can't find anything)?

Bell has an easy to find, dedicated network status page, so when we thought there was a problem with our connection we could easily find it on our phone and confirm whether the problem was at Bell's end.  It really helped at times like this.  I now know there is a problem but it took me a while (searching on my phone).

I think that also takes some of the load off of their T/S line - fewer people need to call in.  Less hassle for everyone.

Or a 'network status' twitter feed would work too.

If I am wrong and Rogers has relented, please tell me where this page is - otherwise, I hope they will eventually relent.

Please use plain text.

Re: Rogers Network Status page

I've Been Around
atwerwer

Here is some sort of message...but it is hidden pretty well.

http://rogershelp.com/wireless_button/ivr/

Look for the left side: Service Alert

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
andmalc

Thanks, I guess that's something - though certainly not as useful as the Bell version.

Please use plain text.

I'm a Reliable Contributor
jays77

atwerwer wrote:

Here is some sort of message...but it is hidden pretty well.

http://rogershelp.com/wireless_button/ivr/

Look for the left side: Service Alert

That's fine, but how do you access it if your internet is down?

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
andmalc

On your phone - that's why it has to be easy to find.

Doesn't really matter anyway - the status page linked above is useless.  It is hard to find, doesn't say much, and they haven't updated it in 5 hours (it says service is still down but mine is now working fine).

Clearly having a useful status page is much better then what happened tonight, with everyone trying to figure out whether the problem is in their home by rebooting everything a few times, then trying to call in and waiting on hold forever.  

Not many people would use it initially but people could learn to check it (e.g. T/S could tell people about it, if they have smartphones in their home).  Then those that do have to call in could get through much quicker.

Not sure why Rogers doesn't want to do this? 

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
Leebeejeebee

I asked Rogers about a status page a few weeks ago, got this response on twitter:

"... we don't have such website but if a major issue occurs, we update our phone IVR message with a warning.  ^eb"

Welcome to 1992

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Well, thats generaly becasue..

IF there is an outage.. your first thing to do SHOULD be to call in.
A) to get troubleshooting tips, as it could be just you (though the techs can often be useless)

B) to allso at least annouce to them that you are having this issue... if not enough people call in from an area with the issue they may not be fully aware of it yet.. enough people call in, he helps notify them to the problem in that area..

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
techguy001

Well, I agree with all that Rogers should have a services status page for all their offerings and report on what's working and what's not working well.    This would help all its customers in being more up-front on the status of their systems.

Having said that though, in the case of last night's outage which was from what I saw a DNS server failure and not a network failure per se, I agree with Gditty in that you should call in by phone with situations like this one given that when DNS doesn't work you can't get to any web site thru the Rogers land line network unless you enter a direct IP address vs a URL name.   A smartphone on a data plan may have worked possibly, however it might also have been affected by the same issue as DNS services are typically global to a services provider.   DNS is usuallyengineered to have its own resilient back-up abilities but there are rare events that can take it down.

There is a workaround for DNS problems like this however.   If you're a bit techsavy you can program your home router to have a primary DNS service (Rogers  at 64.72.255.178) and a secondary one (ie.  Google at 8.8.8.8 or other DNS service of your choice).   By default all routers will choose your ISP as the default DNS service as it's usually the fastest to access with the lowest latency, however as I noted you can override this if you want to and have a secondary in case of failure.

I was able to bypass this DNS problem from last night by using the process noted above.  Hope this helps others.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

I am hoping, in the next little bit to be working on some 'guides' for on here..

One of them being a DNS guide.  A little late for last nights outages, but hopefuly something that will be stickied as a reference to point people towards in these cases or who are having issues just in general with the DNS

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
andmalc

Last night I did try to call T/S and couldn't even get into the Queue (in order to hear the a status message.)

I think many households now have smartphones on more then one network, so even in a case such as last night,  we could still check a status page.

Actually, last night is a good reminder of why every household should have some diversity: if you use Rogers for everything then a problem like last night will take you down.

As it was, we were able to continue functioning via the hotspot on my wife's phone.

However, if Rogers' had a status feed (e.g. on twitter, fb, or g+) then we would have known when the problem was resolved and could have used much less of the phone's data plan.  Frequently switching back to the router and checking manually to see if the connection is fixed is not a good solution when the problem goes on for hours.

So, even in a case like last night, a status page would help.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Introducing - *New* Members to Rogers Resident Experts

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors