Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

DPC3825 wireless intermittent connection problems with iPad

I've Been Here Awhile
tbriseb

Hi there,

I have had a Cisco DPC3825 for about 8 months now and for the past two months the iPads in the house tend to spontaneously loose the WiFi connection.  Sometimes it's after a few minutes and sometimes it's after half an hour.  No problem getting it back, simply go to iPad WiFi setting and select my wireless SSID and it connects no problem or I can simply turn the iPad off and then back on again and it automatically reconnects and works fine again for another few minutes or so.

I've scanned the spectrum and I am the strongest WiFi signal by about 30dB.  My wireless type used is WPA2-Personal.

Also I will mention that on of my iPads is used for work, so when I am at the office, it never looses WiFi (ever). So I assume then it's not an iPad issue.

Any ideas on what I could try.

Thanks

tB

Please use plain text.

Re: DPC3825 wireless intermittent connection problems with iPad

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Sadly, it is likely the 3825 wireless which is causing the issue.

These gateways, are natorious for droping wireless connections, and having poor range :smileysad:

What MOST people do, is disable the wireless in them, and put the gateway in to bridged mode, and add their own 3rd party router.  They then tend not to have the wireless drops, and better range.
(alternatively, you can just turn the wireless off.. and just add a wireless router as an access point only, works as well)

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
tbriseb

The strange thing is that it only seems to affect my iPads. iPhones seem to be fine and laptop I also never drops a connection. It seems it almost started when one of the iOS updates happened but the iPhones and iPads were both updated with the same version albeit they are different hardware.   Before two months ago it seemed to work flawlessly having never dropped the wireless on the iPads. 

tB

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
JWBF
Are your iPads running on the latest iOS? v6.02
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
tbriseb
Both iPads are running the latest iOS which is 6.0.1. I haven't seen the 6.0.2 that you are talking about. Is this something that's coming out soon? Is this related to the problem i am seeing.
Appreciate the help.
tB
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
zoso

I have the Cisco DPC3825 and my wired connection is good,but my WiFi isn't that all good.I'm thinking of getting this router and bridge it

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-ea4500-media-stream/4505-3319_7-35190310.html

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

My boss has that router, he really likes it :smileyhappy:  Nice that i has the 1g ports on it as well.

I have the E2500, pretty much the same router, no USB port, and only 10/100 ports.. but a little cheaper.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Spotlight: SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications