Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

I've Been Around
rabbit613

I have been renting Motorola 5101 modem for almost 8 years. It worked very well. Since I knew my EXPRESS account can use 80GB/mon instead of 60G and upload speed can go to 2M  last week,  I called Rogers and asked why mine was still 60G. I was told I have to upgrade my modem. I have to pay $3 or $4 more to get 80G usage. I was forced to upgrade the Modem this monday. Then the nightmare started.

1. I returned the old Motorola and bought this Hitron CGN-ROG on Monday and plug it in. It worked for about 20 minutes. It failed to connect to internet. It showed "LOCAL ONLY". I called ROGERS. The rep said he can see my modem was connected to computer, it is the modem defective. He gave me the reference number. I went back to the store and changed second new modem.

2. The second modem didn't work when brought home. I called ROGERS again and again. Finally, at midnight one nice tech support man made the modem work ( or connected it to internet). But I couldn't open my home page --- google.com nor google.ca.  It was redirected to rogers.com. The internet worked for 13 hours, then if failed again. That was Tuesday, yesterday. I called ROGERS again. They connected it to internet again.

3. Today, the internet failed again. I called again. A tech support helped connected my modem to internet and told me he believes it is modem's problem and asked me to change it. Well, he seemed right. Ironically ,10 minutes later, when I was talking to ROGERS Customer service on my voip phone, the internet failed again. So my voip phone call was disconnected.  I went to the store and get the 3rd Hitron. It worked for 5 minutes. It failed again. This time I poke the "reset button" and reset the modem. It worked up to now, about 3 hours. 

I am an Internet layman. I still don't know what problem it is. I still can't get on google , thesaurusdictionary and other website with Chrome. However, I can get those webs with IE or Firefox. I made the last call to Rogers. The rep suggested me to get a cisco modem. I want to get old returned Motorola modem back, but it is not possible. I  found only one ROGERS store rent CISCO modem nearby. I still want buy one because the rent is too expensive and will rise later. Another question is :will cisco work as well as Motorola? I was happy with rogers for 11 years except these 3 days, should I leave ROGERS? I am tired and frustrated. Hope  some can give me some advice.   Thank you.           2012-12-05

Please use plain text.

Re: Hitron CGN2-ROG Enhenced WiFi Modem issues

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
The Hitron, Cisco and smc gateways, are the only options if you want to get the higher cap and speed :smileysad:. There is no real technical reason for this, but its the way Rogers has decided to go.
Now, were you running your own router with the Motorola? I know it sort of defeats the purpose of the gateway, but if you change your gateway into bridged mode, it effectively turns into a modem only, and you can connect a wireless router to it. Most people with those gateways have illuminated most problems of disconnects, wireless dropouts , etc by doing this.
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

@rabbit613

Gdkitty is correct about putting these modems into bridge mode and using your own router. To answer your last question though, none of the gateway modems will work as well as your older SB5101. It you browse through these forums and other forums such as DSL Reports and the Digital Forum there is only one conclusion you can come to with respect to the current line of D3 modems provided by Rogers; they are pure, unadulterated garbage. What Rogers is doing borders on criminal - taking more money from customers and not providing what they promise. :smileymad:

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

I am going to kinda re-phrase what IHR said.

The gateway, in modem mode, will work just as well as your old modem, likely.

The problem is, that they charge more, technicaly, since its  has 'more features' being a gateway.. BUT to get it to more work right, you need to disable all of that.  So your technicaly paying more, for features, that you are not using.

:smileyhappy:

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
rabbit613

Thank you for your reply.

And yes, I was using a Dlink wireless router with Motorola 5101. Since the new gateway has the router function, it is a waste not to use it. Keep using  Dlink wireless router creates more radiation in the house, which I don't think it envorimentally healthy. Besides that, I don't even know what the "bridge mode" is. How to do it?  There is no Hitron manual inside the box. How to do it? Can I use the ethernet ports after "bridging it"?

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
rabbit613

Woa. All gabages. I should wait for a while to see this 3rd Hitron's condition. Since it dropped off the internet the first time which I  'd like to think it sporadical, it has been working for 19hours up to now.  I also worry CISCO's quality. Wait and see. 

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

rabbit613 wrote:

And yes, I was using a Dlink wireless router with Motorola 5101. Since the new gateway has the router function, it is a waste not to use it. Keep using  Dlink wireless router creates more radiation in the house, which I don't think it envorimentally healthy.

You will be making a big mistake to try and use the built-in router on the Hitron or either of the other D3 modems. It really is simple - the built-in wireless suffers from poor range and dropped connections. Keep your D-link router and use it. Rogers can remotely put the modem into bridge mode for you so that you can hook up your own router. Here is a user manual - seeing as how Rogers could not even provide that for you!!

http://www.westmancom.com/fileadmin/content/docs/user_guides/internet/CGN2_UG_v2-0_2012-02-29_Hitron...

The bottom line though is that Rogers is still charging people for a product that does not live up to their advertising. They promote the Hitron as:

• Tuned to be our best performing Wi-Fi modem yet
  • Our furthest reaching Wi-Fi modem , delivering maximum signal strength anywhere in the home
  • Virtually NO dead zones in the home

Not one of those statements is true. You can make your own judgment though!

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

rabbit613 wrote:

And yes, I was using a Dlink wireless router with Motorola 5101. Since the new gateway has the router function, it is a waste not to use it. Keep using  Dlink wireless router creates more radiation in the house, which I don't think it envorimentally healthy. Besides that, I don't even know what the "bridge mode" is. How to do it?  There is no Hitron manual inside the box. How to do it? Can I use the ethernet ports after "bridging it"?

To turn the device into bridged mode, for the hitron, you need to contact rogers, if i am correct, i dont think you can manualy do it like the cisco or SMC.

Another user on here recently said, that yes, you can still use the ports on it.

As for the more radiation, etc.. thats sorta a sore point for me... many people read stuff on this, without knowing the WHOLE picture.

A) When you put it in bridged mode, the internal wireless is turned OFF, so no more radiation than currently with your dlink.
B) Wireless devices like this, while yes, technicaly produce radio frecquency waves, etc.. the type of radiaion that is emitted from them is called NON-INONIZING.  No long term findings have been 100% found on the possibilities of causing headaches, etc.. there is NO WAY that this type of thing can give you cancer, non-ionizing radiation can not do this, it can not effect the molecular structure (compared to an ionizing radiation.. xrays even being one of that type) (this from the world cancer association website)

C) Do you us any cordless phones in the house??  These work on the SAME freqencies as the wireless routers, so you likely already have it there.  And actualy a corless phone base, ringing a handset that a call comming in, actualy produces MORE than a consistant wireless signal.  This is why a corless phone, specialy when its ringing, if its near a router/computer, can actualy cause it to have signal issues.

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

Gdkitty wrote:

C) Do you us any cordless phones in the house??  These work on the SAME freqencies as the wireless routers, so you likely already have it there.  And actualy a corless phone base, ringing a handset that a call comming in, actualy produces MORE than a consistant wireless signal.  This is why a corless phone, specialy when its ringing, if its near a router/computer, can actualy cause it to have signal issues.

The only time we ever had a problem with a cordless phone disconnecting our wireless was when using a 2.4 GHz phone. This of course was the same frequency as our router. When we switched back to our older 900 MHz phone, the problem was eliminated. We have since purchased a newer DECT6 phone and this also does not cause any problems with the router disconnecting!

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

That would be correct IHR :smileyhappy:

Standard G wireless (and some N) tends to broadcast on the 2.4ghz range.  Some N will often on the 5.8ghz range.

If you are using a phone with those frequencies, this can effect it.  Going to a 900 (hard to find now) or a 6.0, should remove that problem.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Introducing - Rogers Community Lounge

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications