Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

Though only available in selected markets right now, it appears that Rogers is introducing a new modem - the Hitron CDE-30364.

Hitron Modem

This is yet another gateway modem. Will be interesting to hear reactions from those who get it. Will it be another gateway with poor wireless range and dropped connections or will it be an improvement over the SMC and CISCO gateways? And why will Rogers not give customers what they want - a decent stand alone D3 modem?

Please use plain text.

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Resident Expert
Meowmix
Hmm interesting. I would like to see the reviews before i sign up or get another one. I would love if Rogers ever got the stand alone D3 modem but it wont happen sadly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
I can see some reasoning behind the IDEA of the gateway. Most users just want basic plug and go, and a gateway does that, no extra hardware.

But agreed, they do need a better/more reliable one for that concept to work. Maybe this one will be that? We can hope.

Also agreed, while not the standard one they give out, they should have a stand alone d3 as an option, at least.
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
Any idea what area, etc those are in IHR? Like which city/zone. Etc.
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

Agreed Meowmix. Before I would commit to this modem, I would like to see some reviews.

Gdkiity - I agree with you 100%. The gateway is a great concept, but it has to work. There is no point whatsoever if the wireless component is so poor that it must be disabled and you then have to attach your own router. It defeats the purpose of the gateway. As for what areas they are being rolled out in, everything I know can be found here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27425635-Rogers-NEW-Ultimate-150-10-With-Hitron

No mention of specific areas that I can see.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty
Interesting.

When I have some time on the weekend, I may give em a shout. Apparently some areas you can enable 10up already (though not sure if it's only on certain grade plans).

I am guessing some zones that can do that, may be able to get this modem as well? If I am able to, I am willing to be a guenea pig for it. (I run a setup with a 3rd party router, but not bridged, so easy to change if it's crappy like the others.)
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Pauly

I personally never never experienced any majour signal issues with the gateways they have right now.  The first thing I did when I got mine was to log into it and change the default wireless channel.  You don't know how many people in my neighbourhood are using that channel, like maybe 15 routers, so your guarenteed to get signal problems.

Once I found a clear channel, the problems with the gateway routers went away. The reason for the problem? majority of customers just plug it in and go, they dont setup the wireless security, they dont change the wireless channel, etc.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Chris
Nothing like some good gadget pr0n, I'd also like to hear the reviews. I have the cisco in bridge mode and have no issues but if I can get faster upload speed for free then why not..
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

@Pauly

You're guaranteed to get signal problems with the gateway modems because the router component does not function the way it is supposed to - plain and simple. There are numerous discussion boards where people complain about these issues - not only here, but on other forums like DSL Reports and Digital Forums. The D3 gateways suffer from both poor range and dropped connections. To solve these issues, customers are putting the D3s into bridge mode and using their own routers. If it was a simple matter of changing the channel and your problems would be solved, there would not be nearly as many complaints. The older D2 modems hooked up with your own router never had so many problems and I have never had to change the channel. It is interesting to note that you have previously posted that you wanted nothing to do with a D3 modem because there were in fact so many complaints. Funny that you now have one!

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

The cisco, the ROUTER does work fine... its the wireless thats flakey.. and causes the bad signal and drops.

I can confirm, that with just using the WIRED portion of the cisco, as a router, has no droped connections.  I play online games, where drops like that would easily disconect me.  I have never been dropped since i received it.

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Introducing - Rogers Community Lounge

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications