Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

CIsco DPC3825 TERRIBLE; How do I work around it?

I've Been Here Awhile
G-Dunc

Good Day,

I switched top the DPC3825 a few days ago and have regretted it ever since.

Using wireless internet in my bedroom (less than 30 feet with a slight elevation change and 1 interior wall away) is now not possible. The wireless signal is continually dropping off and can't be used consistently even within 7 feet.  The wired signal is continuosly dropping off with web pages regularly not loading.  All of these require a full reset and the repair is temporary.

My frustration tonight sent me to look up a repair. I have found forum after forum depicting the exact same issues with ZERO solution from Rogers.  This is not at all surprising and only fuels my desire to jump to another provider the moment the option is presented to me.

In the meantime; how do I get around these terrible characteristics?

I am a light wireless user with very little usage.  The most is one device streaming netflix outside of peak hours.

Is there a suitable third party modem that can be purchased and connected to the Rogers network in place of the DPC3825?

I have read about 'bridging' of the DPC3925 to a seperate router being possible.  How is this accomplished?

Is there other options I have not mentioned here?

I am a simple man.  All I want is for me to set all of this up once and have it work all the time without question and with minimal user interaction (if any).  It used to 'just work'.  How do I get it to 'JUST WORK' now?

Thanks

Please use plain text.

Re: CIsco DPC3825 TERRIBLE; How do I work around it?

Resident Expert
Pauly
why go through all that trouble? why not just get the motorola surfboard modem or scientific atlanta one port modem and use your own router?
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
G-Dunc

Everyhting I am reading tells me that the Motorola SB6121 is the best way to go. One can be ordered for about $100. The issue is that most the boards I have read have mentioned this is an option except Rogers will not allow them onto their network.  While I haven't found anything from the immediate past stating one way or the other whether or not this has changed it seems like a bit of a gamble.  

Is there a sure fire way to get a third-party modem hooked up? Has there been a policy change allowing consistent hook-ups?

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

I beleive Rogers does not allow 3rd party modems.. you can buy the modems from them, but they have to be the specific ones they support.

In the end, apparently to fully take advantage of the 'speed boost' etc, you need to have this modem, over the stand alone ones.

This does not mean that you NEED to use the wireless part of it.

This is my current setup:

DCP3825 Modem (two cables comming out of it, one to my xbox, one to the router)

|

|

Linksys E series Router (one cable in from the modem on a REGULA port, not the WAN.. 2 to blueray and surroundsound, 1 out to switch.

|

|

Switch (connects to desktop PC, wired network printers, etc.

While you CAN set up wireless on both, and have it do switching between them.. unless you need the extra rang, the DPC doesnt do it very well.  I have DHCP ON, and wirless OFF on the DCP.

Then on the Linkysy, turn DHCP OFF, and configure your wireless how you want to.

Now, the only thing other than that i had to change.. i did have port forwarding set up on the linksys before for a few apps.. these settings now have to be put on the DPC, instead of the other router.
You are effectively running a wireless router, as an access point.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
skinorth

@Gdkitty:

nice posting!

You have summarized quite compactly, and nicely,  how to overcome what seems to be the most significant technical shortcoming of the DPC3825.

I am sure we could fine tune your suggestions any number of ways, but you've got the basics down pat.

The unfortunate fact is that the Rogers DPC3825 customer should not need to do all of this to make their internet connection and the Rogers-approved and provided modem/"wireless" router perform satisfactorily to serve their needs.

But, alas, we do need to resort to such technical work-arounds in order to take advantage of what the technology has to offer.

Regretably, this is what is required.......................

skinorth

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Oh i totaly agree :smileyhappy:.. people SHOULDNT have to.

But, MANY rogers customers... well at lease EVERYONE that i know, none of them actualy had any of the previous modem/router combo's... all of them just had the older modems.

So all of them, already have a wireless router.   IN the case of getting the DPC, SHOULD make it obsolete.. but other than a little bit of setup work, they are really not that different that they were before.

Personaly.. i actualy like it better this way.  Due to it being a modem, i would assume that rogers could potentialy get access to the router settings... this way that its on a seperate device, its seperated :smileyhappy:... pluss gives you SOO many more options with your router choices.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile
arnym27

Yes, combo models like Cisco may draw security concerns that one's PC content can be accessed by provider's staff. Not sure when it may happen in practice, but wanted to point how to improve speed and security of your multi-router setup:

- Reset (not Reboot) your new Cisco Gateway after provisioning by pressing hidden Reset button

- Assign Static IP to a DMZ device on Cisco Gateway

- Set that IP for your own wireless router as Static WAN IP. Hook up its WAN port to any Cisco's port

- Add 3 fast DNS server IPs to both Cisco and own router. Leave default DNS server IP as one of them

- Set "On" both DHCP Server and SPI Firewall on both Cisco Gateway AND your own wireless router 

- Connect non-secure devices to Cisco (VoIP Phone, NAS Drive, etc.) and secure devices to your own router (PCs)

- Reboot both Cisco and your own router. Enjoy...

When you configure your network this way , you double available number of switched wired ports, don't need to switch Off router firewalls, and will get similar speed on both routers. You will also enjoy DHCP IP assignment on both routers. Most important, your own router will work as Router (hooked up to WAN port) instead of Switch (hooked up to LAN port), because using it as a Switch on your trusted LAN offers less protection compare to WAN router port. So you better protect data on your PCs.

After getting mine Cisco, I realized that many customer complaints might result from not Resetting it after provisioning or  when your account was modified by Rogers resulting in new Config being pushed to Cisco. You need to Reset it instead of Reboot. Then it should work in tandem with your own router well, despite before being slow, dropping or blocking signal, etc. Its not a magic bullet and can't fix all possible Cisco's design and FW flaws, but can and should be used in initial setup. Another effective way to increase browsing speed is finding fast DNS servers on the web. You can check DNS server response time by opening Command Prompt on your PC and typing: ping "DNS Server IP Address" .

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I've Been Here Awhile
arnym27

Just wanted to clarify that in addition to 8 switched wired ports in the above config, you can also use wireless features of both routers independently at the same time. For example, use both routers as separate Access Points, and connect closer positioned wireless devices with stronger signal to Cisco, and more remote devices with higher traffic to your own wireless router. Or use your own router as a wireless Repeater, and Cisco as Access Point. Finally, try using Cisco wireless features alone after Reset - it may work more stable as well, thus eliminating the need in a 2-nd wireless router..

Please use plain text.

I've Been Here Awhile
nezhad

I have solved the wireless problem of this modem by using a second wireless router as a range extender. The issue I have had ever since I replaced my old modem with the Cisco one is my VoIP service from Primus.

After a lot of troubleshooting and talking to the technical support of both Rogers and Primus I realized that the problem would temorarily go away for a day or two when I rebooted the Cisco modem. However, after a couple of days I would have to do that again because our phone conversations would be awfully jittery and choppy to the point of being incomprehensible.

I thought my router might be a faulty one so I took it back to the Rogers store and got another one but the problem still persists.

Any idea what I may be able to do? Should I go for another brand of the modems that Rogers supports such as SMC D3GN or Hitron CDE? Would using the modem in the bridge mode solve this problem?

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
Gdkitty

Currently its NOT in bridged mode?   Is the voip box connected directly into the gateway? or is it into wireless router (access point)?  if its in the AP, i would try it into the gateway.. illiminate that one step.

Putting the gateway, into bridged mode, effectively, makes it just a modem.  Its worth a shot to see if it fixes the issue.  Just remember to turn DHCP back on the wireless router.

In most cases, overall, i have heard the smc is much poorer.  The new Hitron, while the wireless still appears sub par, i am not sure on the acutaly router aspect of it.

I am currently running the 3825, in the same setup as you are.
I have yet to run into any issues, good speeds constitantly (for gaming, etc).  But i dont use a voip system, so unable to tell you what that is like from my experiences.

Please use plain text.
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications