Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT
Accepted Solution

new package new modem that requires you to install a usb program that forces you to get a addware?

[ Edited ]
I'm Here A Lot
vanestar

i reformated my computer about 4 hours prior to gething the new internet and did not download anything during that timeframe.

we recently got a new modem has my roomate improved her package with rogers. it was a Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway. installing it was a hassle unlike all the other modems i ever installed in my life this one forced me to use a usb stick to connect to the internet. it also forced me to update windows before i could connect to the internet. after several hours of fighting with the program to get myself hooked up to the net i finally managed to get it working. but. shortly after we noticed are homepage keeps getting changed to http://www.rogers.com/smartkey witch redirects us to http://rogers.my.yahoo.com/ i did a quick check for the usual gimics that installations like to sneak on you "with stuff like "Check here if you don't want to not install this adware crap" like toolbars or add ons but nothing. i tried removing the software that allows me to connect to the internet but it still seems to do it.

also inportant to note that on windows xp service pack 3 we where not asked if we wanted to change are homepage like the windows 7 computer upstairs it was forcefully installed and there apears to be no easy way of removing it.

Please use plain text.

Re: new package new modem that requires you to install a usb program that forces you to get a addwar

Resident Expert
Pauly

I'm not sure why you need to install "SOFTWARE" to use the router?  It should automatically work out of the box.  I have installed countless routers and modems from rogers, and have never needed to install anything, although they did "suggest" it.

Most of the time, the software you are installing is just portal interface software and/or web browsing software.  Your computer likely already has a web browser on it, and rogers internet is automatically connected all the time.  Maybe you "thought" you "need" to install the software to make it work?  well your not alone most people think this is the case too but trust me, its not.  you could have simply installed the cables and wala, it would work.  

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.
Please use plain text.

Re: new package new modem that requires you to install a usb program that forces you to get a addwar

[ Edited ]
I'm Here A Lot
vanestar

with out the software  trying to connect to the internet gives you the acsess is forbidden (there a wep key) on windows xp. on windows vista and 7 it gives me a enter a guest password(wich again can only be found after you installed the program at least once along with the router password). i tryed factory reseting it to get rid of it with no sucsess the conection is marked as "unsecure"  (I tought it was just a wep key but aparently it more then that.

the only way to install the program is to disable/remove all your wireless net conection  managers update windows and install  there client. and set windows to be the wireless internet manager.

i miss the good o'l days wen all you had to do was  plug it in you had the internet. then you could go to 192.168.0.1 type in the default username/password set up a wep key and you where done.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
Resident Expert
skinorth

@vanestar:

I'm with Pauly on this one.  I don't understand why you had the problems you did.  The setup process on a router/gateway like the Cisco DPC3825 is and should be totally independent of the Window version or update level you are using.

Certainly your statement that you "... reformated my computer about 4 hours prior to gething the new internet and did not download anything during that timeframe..." should create a known baseline from which to work.  However, unless you were experiencing other and significant problems before this, that should not have been required for a satisfactory and successful installation of the Cisco router.

In my experience no version of Windows, XP or otherwise, has ever forced me to change my browser homepage.  I have encountered a few other pieces of software that tried to convince me to do this, but usually a reasonably careful reading of the install and setup screens would alert us to that.

And in any web browser I have ever used, including IE and Firefox, changing the my homepage is not big deal.  I may need to dig through the options in the provided menu functions to find it, but it is always there.

So, give us specifics on your current issues, and we can help you resolve them.  It's not that we really like all that we encounter in our excursions through technology.  But in almost all cases there are ways to deal with them directly and effectively.

And, yeah, I do miss the good old days too!

skinorth

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I'm Here A Lot
vanestar

il try to be clearer basically i installed the program that came on the usb stick because the infromation provided to me was inacurate  the password and username that came on the sheet of paper was wrong. factory reseting did not help ( both the 10second  and the 90 seconds method) and it was the only way for me to get the wep key and router/modem password afterwards. i went and gived the stick to my roomate and just told them to install it and it will put in the wep key for them and then remove the program after (i was lazy to manually write it down on a peace of paper and give it to her). i removed the programed and my internet worked fine. however it left a naughty gift behind a addware that i cant seem to find a way to remove. all i want is to know how to remove the addware rogers gived me that changes my homepage every time i hit the home button or open a new browser.

a example being i go to tools-option-general tab type in where it says " home page:"  "www.google.com" hit ok close firefox open firefox again and it opens http://www.rogers.com/smartkey instead of www.google.com then if i go to tools-options-general tab it shows the rogers link again instead of the google one i just typed in.

if you need more information just ask for it.

note i never got promped for installing that addware on my computer simply the TOS  then it installed itself then the done button.

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
Speedy1701

Hi Vanestar.

I picked up the exact Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Modem from Rogers about 3 weeks ago.

The store clerk gave me the same USB key you got, and a pamphlet with the Administrator account and Password for the modem.

Using just the login (and using a LAN connection for the initial configuration), I was able to configure the wifi settings.

I was then able to connect through wifi using both a Windows 7 and a Windows XP laptop with no problems.

Afterwards, I started tinkering with the software on the USB key, and found it was unnecessary stuff ... actually, it almost wiped out my settings before I cancelled the program!!!

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
Speedy1701
Oh ... if memory serves, there were some complaints that Rogers handed a few incorrect login/passwords. Mine was correct ... I'm not home right now so I can't confirm, but you can probably Google it.
Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
vanestar

the password they gived me was username "cusadmin" password "password" there default passwords are usually cusadmin blank or blank blank or cusadmin password. the password and username i got was cusadmin  GFJHF84H. factory reseting resets to that. only way i figured this out was after installing the **bleep**y program. but all i want to do is figure out how to remove the adware that they sneaked on my computer from it.

Please use plain text.

Resident Expert
skinorth

@vanestar:

worst case scenario to get you back to a "clean" Firefox is first to uninstall Firefox.

Then using IE, download a fresh copy of Firefox from mozilla.com, and reinstall it.

When you start up the clean, fresh copy of Firefox for the first time, do not import any settings from IE, when it asks you that question.

Hopefully that will clean it up in Firefox.

skinorth

Please use plain text.

I'm Here A Lot
vanestar

this was the first thing i tried wen i saw it was not a add on or plugin. but sadly it did not work

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Happy Birthday Idea Box!!

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications