Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 Modem for Extreme Plus

I've Been Here Awhile
skutflut

Interesting that the tech told you that a torrent would hog bandwidth.  Rogers throttles torrent traffic to about 80 kb/s from what I read, which should not impose much of a bottleneck to other computers on your LAN.

If Rogers techs are indeed recommending against the SMC unit,  then it implies that they are bearing  the brunt of a bad piece of equipment.   I wonder what prompted Rogers engineering to select this particular SMC unit to the exclusion of all other DOCSIS 3 hardware...   I cannot  understand the original reasoning,  nor can I understand why they have still not done anything to mitigate the problem,  or offer a simpler alternative such as a plain docsis3 modem.  

At least the Federal Government  blew the UBB scam out of the water....  let's hope it stays sunk!

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
Annoyed1973

These things are bought in bulk, probably made in China,

at least they look that way from the poor build quality compared

to the Motorola modems that used to be used.

So imagine price was the main factor, and since they

have a huge inventory of them they probably feel

committed to it even though its apparently a poor product.

They'll just recycle them around and around as people

turn them in, same used to happen with the old Lancity

modems, you'd turn in your faulty modem and get someone

else's faulty modem in return, and after several rolls of

the dice you might find one that actually works properly.

They shoulda got the Motorola SB6121's,

docsis 3.0 backward compatible to 2.0, up to 160Mbps

, supports IPv6 which will be needed soon,

Windows, Mac, Unix compatible and just better

quality with better quality-control than SMC.

Whats annoying is they won't even let you buy

your own modem even if its totally compatible

with their network, compatibility isn't the issue

its that they bought cheap modems in bulk

and want to sell you one of theirs for a premium

cost.

Theres no way I'd spend hundreds of dollars

on an SMC, might as well rent it since its probably

going to have to be exchanged three times anyway.

I'm sticking with my Motorola and not upgrading

to Extreme Plus unless/until they either supply

or allow us to buy our own good quality modem.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
PlatformShag

I just called the store in Bradford and they have 50 of the G-gateway D3 modems and about 15-20 of the N-gateway D3s.  He's slapped my name on one and I'm driving over there now from Alliston.  Just wanted to give you all the heads up in case you're still looking for a rental.

442 Holland Street West, Bradford, ON L3Z 0A2 (905) 778-8853

Cheers.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
LK1

What the reality is. I am Rogers customer for many years. I have Extreme subscribtion which is 28/1 Mbps. With Motorola SB 5100 I am able to get 18/1 Mbps at max. The biggest surprise was I went to 100 GB of usage last month and they charged me extra for the 5 Gbites according to the old limit which was 95 GB per month but at the same time they addvertise 120 GB limit after the prise was increased to 61.99 per month. When I call them was explaned to me that this is because I dont have their new DOCSYS 3 modem. For me this is not fair at all.I am wandering if I downgrade to Express which is 18 Mbps/512Kbps what would be the real speed I will get?

I would buy Motorola 6120 if it worked, as I understand that this is beter technologie but I would buy it from US or here for a fair price. I am not buyng a pease of equipment with no model nomber or whatsoever information and no any other choises. On their web page there is only picture with no any other information.

I would appresiate if somebody can sugest me another provider which wouid treat his costomers whith respect and fairness.

Please use plain text.

I've Been Around
Twam

Im facing the same problem is this, my speed is fine and not being limited at all. I am on the Rogers extreme package with an advertised 28Mbit download and 1Mbit upload, when I originally purchased this package it was only 10Mbit DL and 1Mbit UL. So I must now be on this "grandfathered" plan as I have been told by a CSR.

But my problem is not speed, my old DOCSIS 2 Motorola Surfboard sb5120 result at speed test are these new advertised speeds of 28Mbit DL and 1Mbit UL. My problem is that i was hitting my 95GB allowance. Now here is the sketchy part, me being on the "Grandfathered" package Rogers has still upped my rates as of last March as they appeared to do with all their internet services by only a few dollars each. 

I was under the impression that since I was on this older package my prices would not change but it appears Rogers has upped my price and still left all the old imposing limits on my internet. If I'm paying this extra money I would expect to at least get what is advertised. As I said speed is not the problem I'm getting the new speeds without any contact with Rogers but today I find I am being changed an extra $6 so far for extra bandwidth (Currently at 100GB bandwidth cap is 95GB) and there are still 4 days left in my month.

Looking online at the current internet packages and pricing it states that if you purchased ROgers Extreme before a certain date (Which I have) I will still only be getting 10Mbit down and 95GB a month. This contradicts everything the CSF told me on the phone. I called up to see if I could have my bandwidth upgraded to the current limit advertised for my package, the response was no "in order to receive the full speeds from your package you would have to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 Modem." I went on to say Speed is not the issue I am receiving proper speeds I just want my extra 25GB of bandwidth that should be available to me. Still the CSF told me that he would be unable to do this and even if trying to do it on his end he received an error stating that my current modem is not compatible with the new speed. AGAIN I told him SPEED IS NOT THE PROBLEM I just don;t want to be changed these overage fees.

With that whole support phone call being an utter waste of my time and energy I turn to the community to hopefully receive more answers and not these scripted responses they they pay each CSF to drill into our ears.

Iv been reading over this and multiple other threads here on Rogers and dslreports but I see a lot of these replies are from 2010, with is now being 2012 I'm hoping there have been some advances and it is not as hard to get Rogers to add a DOCSIS 3 modem.

So now on to the real question, can I purchase a modem outside of Rogers that they will accept into their network ? I don't want to upgrade my package or current speeds just want my extra 25GB of Bandwidth which I am paying for but have been told it won't work cause my current Modem can not support more then 10Mbit. I swear its like trying to ask a color blind person to describe a rainbow.

I don't want to use SMC and I especially don't want to have to purchase a Rogers branded modem that they will change me $200 for and have imposing limits within the firmware of the hardware. Basically renting their modem but for $200 instead of $7 a month.

I was looking into a Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 could I purchase this and have them active it and it work ?

Thanks

Twam

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

You might need to check out a few more forums and threads. Rogers has made it quite clear that the only modems they now support on their system are the SMC and Cisco!

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=category...

I can understand you not wanting to use the SMC - it is garbage!

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/295...

While some people have been able to have a stand alone D3 modem added (such as the SB6120), it is not without a lot of hassle and grief dealing with the dumb CSRs who work with Rogers. You might get lucky and find one of the few who actually know what they are doing and are able to add it, but I would not hold my breath. 

The solution used by many is to get the better CISCO modem and then have it placed in bridge mode and use your own router for wireless. Perhaps one day Rogers will come to their senses and authorize a decent stand alone D3 modem, but that will be the day that Rogers decides that it is their customers who are actually important!

I wish you luck!

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
gwilki

FWIW, and to update this thread a bit, I went into an Ottawa Rogers store to buy a D3 gateway. I wanted the advertised speed for Express. I asked for the Cisco, since I've heard bad stuff about the SMC. I was told that I could buy an SMC or rent a Cisco. I asked if they could pull a Cisco from the rental pool and sell it to me. I had heard of this being done in other cities. Not here. I asked if I could buy a new Cisco from somewhere other than Rogers. I would get the same model. I was told that, if the serial number didn't match a Rogers serial number, they would not initialize it.

I walked out without either modem.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

It is very odd that Rogers will not sell you the CISCO. I sure would like to hear their explanation. Personally, I do not want either modem - the SMC or the CISCO. Unfortunately, many customers have no choice. If it is any consolation, you could contact retentions and voice your displeasure.

Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
gwilki
I just may try that. So far, they've offered to rebate me $72 if I pay $100 (taxes in) to rent a modem.
No deal.
Please use plain text.

I Plan to Stick Around
FormerMember

To reiterate, since my post above was edited, one thing Rogers is really good for is their retention deals. I know of people getting 30% off Internet with free modem rental included. If Rogers will not sell the CISCO modems, getting a free rental is actually even better!

Please use plain text.
Announcements
Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Latest Blog Post: Community Highlights: GENERAL NETWORKING Q & A

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades
Nos forums communautaires
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications