Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@Datalink

What improvements will we see other than data packets being efficiently processed, due to the newer code being implemented to the chipset?

Interestingly enough, if the Puma 6 Chipset was released 2012, why would the chipset contain code that is 2 years old (code from 2010?)

Is it a long road to get everybody to recognize that there is indeed an issue. Rogers is at the forefront of this investigation having collected data on this issue for multiple months now and this is now proving really useful in demonstrating that the issue goes beyond simple ICMP improvement.

There is no doubt that the recent development in multiple forums has put more pressure on the various parties and I am hoping that Hitron in collaboration with Intel will be able to fix these issues quickly.

I unfortunately have no confirmation of if and when such fix will be ready but as soon as it is available to me, it will be part of the firmware trial program and all participants will receive it.

Also, we are counting on the new modem to be released in the coming weeks and that seems extremely promising.

Dave

@jalalinator wrote:

Hey DataLink / Rogers Dave, please explain these pathetic speeds / latency on the new google speedtest, peered to a Toronto Data Center..... it's amazing how speedtest.net / dslreports are sooooo skewed in the tests, could it be that rogers is filtering / prioritizing / SHAPING traffic to skew the results? Because that is exactly what it looks like.

Jalalinator,

I will need to perform further testing on this specific case. I can assure you that we are not doing any form of shaping of prioritization of speedtests.net / dslreports. In fact, with over 9000 servers around the world hosted by various ISP for speedtest.net, it would be impossible to do so even if we wanted. It would also contravene net neutrality rules.

I ran some additional tests on an Internet connection where I generally get results in the 700-900 Mbps using Google speedtest and was getting results below 100 Mbps. I know for a fact that the 700 Mbps is real as I test this connection over and over, using various test sites but also simple file downloads to characterize the performance of various modems and firmware.

There is an issue in the way Google performs speedtests and I'll have to investigate further to understand where the limitation exists. It may be realted to the use of HTML5 or the location of the server but something is definitely wrong.

Dave

Locations and what network, can make night and day results sometimes.

Testing to the Toronto set of servers from where i am.. i can get anything from above my package speeds, to about 30mbps less.

Why such varriations, even though they are all in Toronto?

One may be on or just off the rogers backbone there.. other ones, you may have to go from Rogers, to bell, to another, etc.  
All those extra jumps, could make a difference, each extra hop possibly slowing things down.

It gets worse, when you get to speed tests, which dont give you the option of your end test location.
The google one for example is like that.
(EG:  At work here, are on Bell Business Fiber into the building.  Its 150/150.  On bells speedtest, or even rogers, i show pretty much 150/150 or pretty close.   Run the google one?  40/3 :P)

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I run the google speedtest and I get Atlanta ( that's pretty far from here in North East NB)

And I still get 330 down / 22 up each time.. basically same results as speedtest.net dslreport speedtest.

@RogersDave

As for the new modem coming in few weeks.. I am sure many people will be interested in, especially peope looking for a latency fix like myself.

Hopefully it will be fairly easy to get, because I don't see myself explaining why I need it to Rogers CSR , they probably don't have any idea about the latency issue and the work being done here in the forum.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I am looking forward for a latency fix too in what ever form. I do game but I work from home too and the random lag spikes are getting on my nerves lol

Mythen

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around

Hey @RogersDave any news on what type/model modem that is expecting to be released or is that all still hush hush?

I would make the assumption that it would be the Hitron CODA, or CODA-45? You can just give a simple cough once for yes and twice for no 😉

@Hybrid_Noodle wrote:

Hey @RogersDave any news on what type/model modem that is expecting to be released or is that all still hush hush?

I would make the assumption that it would be the Hitron CODA, or CODA-45? You can just give a simple cough once for yes and twice for no 😉

LOL, I have never seen a CODA-45 device.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

Can you give us a hint.. is there an intel puma7 chipset in there? lol

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@RogersDave

Can you give us a hint.. is there an intel puma7 chipset in there? lol

I can't unfortunately answer that just yet but there should be an official answer fairly soon.

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around

No worries @RogersDave got to have some fun in this to make sure we all dont go crazy.

Going on complete and utter speculation (and looking at the Hitron residental gateway product line) I would expect it to be either the CGNVM-3580, CODA-4582 or the CODA-4580 based on the new DOCSIS 3.1 standard as I wouldnt expect Rogers to update the modem to another DOCSIS 3.0 standard when they have enough of those out in the wild.

The CGNVM-3580 also uses the Intel Puma 6 chipset so would like to hope that would also not be used as we would be back in the same set of issues as we currently see on the current set of modems.

CODA-4582 has support for MoCA which the CODA-4580 does not so I would hope that we would be looking at the CODA-4582 as the next modem in line for Rogers to validate/test/release into the world.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Hopefully not another modem with PUMA6 chipset or I go completely insane.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
@RogersDave @Datalink

I have the cgnm-3552. Running .27 firmware. I am finding the wifi extremely slow downloading anything. And it randomly drops out. Signal strength is excellent though

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around

@MythenWhat are you trying to download and what Wifi are you on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz? Have you looked at the modem's logs to see if it states any errors?

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I am on the 5hz band. Dreadfully slow downloading from the play store. Just seeing t3 timeouts in the modem log. Wifi drops periodically

mhs2
I plan to stick around

Is it normal to see 90-100% packetloss to hitronhub.home when using winMTR?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, not at all.  What are you running, wired or wireless?  Beyond the modem, out to the next IP address which is the CMTS, you could see packet loss if there is an issue with the external cables or connectors. 

ComFox
I've been here awhile

Is anyone else experiencing severe degradation of service?  Right now my downloads are running about 20% max speed and uploads about 15% max speeds.

mhs2
I plan to stick around

I've tried both wired and wireless connection to the CGNM-3552 and get the same result.  (This is through a powerline connection, but wireless and directly wired to the modem have the same packet loss to hitronhub.home)

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| hitronhub.home - 96 | 25 | 1 | 7 | 7 | 7 | 7 |
| 99.231.80.1 - 2 | 117 | 115 | 7 | 16 | 50 | 19 |
| 67.231.221.189 - 0 | 124 | 124 | 11 | 17 | 52 | 19 |
| 209.148.230.157 - 1 | 121 | 120 | 14 | 21 | 60 | 17 |
| 209.148.230.2 - 0 | 124 | 124 | 11 | 19 | 53 | 19 |
| No response from host - 100 | 24 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 209.85.242.109 - 0 | 124 | 124 | 13 | 24 | 99 | 16 |
| 209.85.250.207 - 1 | 121 | 120 | 11 | 18 | 53 | 12 |
| yyz08s13-in-f14.1e100.net - 0 | 124 | 124 | 13 | 20 | 57 | 20 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I have the 3552 router with version 4.5.8.22 software and hardware 1A.  I just wanted to know if we will be getting a new firmware for it as it seems like .27 is not live yet.  Is there any fix for the 2 2.4 Ghz networks and weak wifi?  CAn we turn off the ghost wifi on 2.4 so that we can boost the signal?

Thanks