Rogers.com - Welcome

WIRELESS HOME PHONE CABLE TV INTERNET HOME MONITORING BUNDLES SUPPORT

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

I've Been Around
edge

Hey everyone.

We upgraded our internet to the extreme, and needed to get a new modem. I thought, ah this will be simple, unplug the old modem, and plug in a new *modem*... but why would it be that simple?

Why in the world would rogers give people a modem PLUS wireless device? most (if not nearly every single household) ALREADY HAS A WIRELESS/WIRED ROUTER. Jeeze.

I already have a dlink dual band n router, so what I had to do was I went into the settings, disabled the wireless function (which wouldnt have any effect.. our modem is in the basement in a closet under a ton of **bleep**), and then because both routers had the same default gateway, I changed the cisco gateway to 192.168.1.1. I kept the DHCP server just because it's simple and it's just the router plugged in.

It took a bit of troubleshooting, but everything works now.

Rogers, how hard is it to ask the customer: "Do you have a wireless or wired router in your home?" If yes: "Okay, we'll send you a simple modem". If no: "We'll send you a modem with built in wireless technology"

If I wasn't home and my parents had received this, they would have absolutely no idea how to set it up. They would have been on the phone for hours dealing with people "who dont troubleshoot dlink devices" and would have to wait days to have a tech come to their house.

/rant

I Plan to Stick Around
jdcabc

I traded an SMCD3GN for a Cisco DPC3825, hoping to get better wireless range, but found that it also has poor range.

I was also disappointed that it doesn't support forwarding from one port to a different port, e.g. forwarding incoming traffice on port 122 to 22 on one host, and 222 to 22 on another, so you can ssh in to different machines on the lan.

(It does support port forwarding, but the destination port must be the same as the source port.)

I'm an Advisor
FormerMember

Rogers, how hard is it to ask the customer: "Do you have a wireless or wired router in your home?" If yes: "Okay, we'll send you a simple modem". If no: "We'll send you a modem with built in wireless technology"

I have been asking Rogers for months now why they will not allow a stand alone D3 modem. They refuse to answer. When they do respond, they only state the obvious - that at this time we have not authorized any modems other than the gateway modems. Yet the issues with these gateway modems continue and Rogers coninues to ignore them!

I've Been Around
cubano07x

I think a lot of you are just trolling for absolutely no reason. I just go the "oh-so-terrible" Cisco gateway modem, I have my own Dlink 615 and at first I was apprehensive of even upgrading to Extreme Plus due to their all-in-one router. Well, I must say after configuring everything, putting into 'Bridged' mode, all is solid and good to go. Yes, it sucks you are renting it but when you calculate how much you're paying ($7/mo or $84/yr) vs buying it out right for $200, it isn't all that bad. Yes, I agree that we should be able to use our own DOCSIS 3.0 modems but I really do not see what the big deal is?  

It's quite simple, if you don't want to pay rental fees, then don't...just buy it and voila, problem solved. You hate the router part because it drops, you feel paranoid Rogers can watch your every move, etc? Then simple, don't use it!  Stop trolling so hard and just solve your problems, you guys are blowing it out of proportion. 

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway: Just suck it up????

I'm a Trusted Contributor
skinorth

@cubano007x:

so, your position is that the Rogers customer should just suck it up?

I'm afraid that just doesn't make any sense at all.  Why should the customer need to compensate for a supposedly new and better piece of technology which doesn't live up to its functional, advertised specifications.  Give me a BREAK!

It seems quite objectionable that any customer would need to add additional gear to these modem/routers to make them perform their advertised wireless functions effectively, no matter how many "spare" wireless routers they have sitting in the closet.  The customer is paying for something they were promised, and are not receiving.

In addition, the additional complexity of adding an outboard router is difficult to impossible for many people to set up and make work, let alone keep working.  And Rogers definitely will not support you for all that additional stuff.  They have enough problems providing support for the stuff for which their support is contractually required.

It's not like here in Canada we have a lot of choice when it comes to ISP/telecom suppliers.  In addition, our regulatory bodies really don't offer many options.  So, can we please get your help in making our vendors actually deliver on their contractual obligations?

Your position on this matter just does not make any sense at all.

skinorth

I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here
Please click on the if you like my posts.

I've Been Around
ssdx3

I just upgraded my internet package from express to the extreme plus.  I was told over the phone that I would have to get a new modem, etc.. I had already known this by doing some research before upgrading.  

I was told I would be getting the SMC.  I went to rogers plus store and they gave me the Cisco DPC3825, fine.

Now I have pretty much a router on on each floor.  One in my room, an AP on the main floor which hard wires to another router in the basement etc.

I setup the cisco with a little bit of a headache.  First of all, I use a TP-LINK router in my room as the main dhcp server for a 10.1.1.x network.  The rest of the AP/routers act as a forwarder.

I was pretty peeved that the cisco at first, wouldn't let me change the LAN IP to a 10.1.1.x address.  With some tinkering I got it to work.  NOW, I dind't want to use the Cisco as my DHCP server.  I disabled it.

The fact that you cant connect straight to your WAN port on your own router infuriated me.  Connecting one of the 4 ports on the Cisco to one of the ports on my home router ONLY worked if I disabled my TP-LINK DHCP.

Why on EARTH can't rogers provide its clients with an option of either modem with router or just modem.  I don't want to use the cisco DHCP, or any routing features from the cisco.  i want to use my own equipment.    

I'll tell you one thing, like someone said above, almost all home users have their own router.  Not many of them are tech savy.  This was just a minor headache for me.  I can only imagine how pissed off someone would be who is just a plug and play person.  I would switch providers hands down.

Now onto performance matters.  This modem is trash.  A lot of the time pages take WAY to long to load, server is taking to long to respond error msgs, DL speeds fluctuating.      

With my old Motorolla modem I had none of these issues.

Rogers, get your S**T together.  Stop telling your clients what they need, listen to what your clients want, and service them accordingly.

I am more upset with the performance of this unit now because i'm paying for a faster service and it's not what I am getting. 

Resident Expert
Pauly

just do what i did.  they tried to give me that smc **bleep** thing but i took it bac and asked for the scientific atlantic webstar instead its just modem only and plugged it into my existing router,  my modem rental fee went down too and when i told then i had my own router they were very apologetic for giving me the modem/router combo.  they said lots of ppl like the convenience of both, but for the advanced users, the modem only makes more sense.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I'm NOT a Rogers employee. I'm a Rogers Community Resident Expert and I'm here to help. To learn more about the Resident Expert program, click here

I'm an Advisor
FormerMember

What Internet plan do you have Pauly? It is my understanding that you could not use the Webstar modem for anything above Express. ssdx3 was upgrading from Express to Extreme Plus, so he had no choice because Rogers forces you to use a D3 and you now have 2 choices - SMC or Cisco!  

Resident Expert
Pauly

i have no idea what internet plan i have.  i dont pay the bill. 

i was just letting you know about my experience when i got the internet hooked up i was able to switch modems, i was not aware its different for other customers, this information was neglected to be told to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've Been Around
deathsythe

Yes.  Call Rogers technical support and they can disable the gateway and make it as a standalone modem.  Make sure you have it on Lan 1.  the router will automatically use Lan 1 as a default WAN line.  After you can use your own router and there will be no problems.

So far so good..... 

socialicon Helps Facebook Compliment Concern

Welcome

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums where you can ask questions, get answers and share expertise related to Rogers products and services.

Useful Community Links:
Welcome to the Community
Rogers Idea Box
Community Guidelines
Terms of Use
OS Upgrade Schedule
Wireless Network Upgrades

Pour notre communauté en français cliquez-ici!

Top Solution Authors
User Accepted Solutions Count
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
© 1995 - 2010 Rogers Communications